Elephant ears and deep-fried Twinkies
DominusTecum Wrote:LOL Vox, I take it an Elephant ear is some kind of pastry??

I thought it was real elephant ear, roasted or fried or something!!! [Image: jestera.gif]

I was sitting here thinking "Man, wouldn't that be an expensive delicacy?" 

Ohhhh, my poor, poor, DEAR boy! You've never had an elephant ear??? I weep for you, Eric! Yes, it is a fried dough involving no wild beasties from Africa or India or any zoo! I found this picture through Google so you can see what one looks like:

<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=center>[Image: mmm_greasy_elephant_ear.jpg]
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=center> 
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>And here's a recipe for you I found on the Net! You're at home, right? Ask your Mamma to whup some up for you! Eat them warm!
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left> 
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=center><FONT size=4>Elephant Ears</FONT>
2 packages dry yeast
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>1/2 cup warm water
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>1/3 cup sugar
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>3/4 cup milk
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>2 eggs
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>4-1/4 cups flour
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>1 teaspoon salt
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>Vegetable oil for frying
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>* Sprinkle yeast over warm water in small bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar and stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand undisturbed until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>* Combine remaining sugar, milk, eggs, 3 cups flour, salt and yeast mixture in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 3 minutes. Beat in remaining flour. Dough will be soft. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>* Heat oil in an electric skillet to 375 degrees (make sure you maintain this temperature otherwise the ears will absorb too much oil and have an unpleasant taste).
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>* Grab a handful of dough, turn out on oiled surface and pat to a 6-inch circle. Fry until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>* Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately. Makes 10 to 12 ears.
<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=left>You will hate me for this, Eric!

Messages In This Thread
Elephant ears and deep-fried Twinkies - by VoxClamantis - 07-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Elephant ears and deep-fried Twinkies - by Marisa - 07-20-2005, 04:26 PM