Elephant ears and deep-fried Twinkies
Marisa Wrote:If you live near a Portuguese bakery, you MUST try "Pastéis de Nata" (also known as Pastéis de Belém), or Portuguese custard tarts. Make sure they're fresh! They're soooooo good......I wish I could have a couple right now (you can't eat just one!).
[Image: picksxEkS.jpg]

Oh, my my my, she said the magic word: custard! "Custard" just SOUNDS yummy somehow, doesn't it? My Mom and Grandma (R.I.P.) used to make custard all the time -- just little ramekins of custard with the nutmeg on top (and custard pies, too). Delicate, cool, light sweetness -- love it... So, those Portugese things look DAVOON! There's a Greek pastry, whose name I don't know, made of layers of filo and custard. If the Portugese things are anything like those, count me in!
Guess who is sooo enjoying the ittiest bittiest piece of elephant ear?

Darling children brought home two of the monstrosities. Cotton Candy, too.
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:Guess who is sooo enjoying the ittiest bittiest piece of elephant ear?

Darling children brought home two of the monstrosities. Cotton Candy, too.

They only brought you an itty-bitty piece? Or are you that strong?!

Lucky!
I guess I'm that strong, because they were whole. It's not really strength, though. It's just a matter of how much I'm willing to suffer for the greasy things.

Deep-fried mushrooms are a whole 'nother story. [Image: gimmefood.gif]
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote: 
Deep-fried mushrooms are a whole 'nother story. [Image: gimmefood.gif]

Mmmm... with cocktail sauce! (Those little things stay hot for days, don't they? Just when you think it's safe to bite into one, you get a mouthful of SCALDING 'shroom LOL) I'm addicted to those danged Poppers, too -- with cocktail sauce. Yummy!