German Catholics allow morning-after pill in rape cases
A lot of muddled thought in this thread. A few of you seem to lack a coherent understanding of why exactly the Church teaches that contraception in the case of consensual conjugal relations is immoral and adhere to it merely on the authority of the magisterium. I highly recommend you consult Anscombes Contraception and Chastity for a rigorous analysis of the kind of intentionality involved which renders contraceptive acts ipso facto defective: http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/A...astity.php
(02-23-2013, 09:36 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(02-23-2013, 09:19 PM)St. Drogo Wrote:
(02-23-2013, 09:03 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Rape is immoral. So is fornication. In both cases contraception is still contraception. I remain unconvinced that contraception is ever the right choice.
Girl in South Africa is abducted (country chosen arbitrarily because of its high rate of AIDS and rape). Does she sin if she begs her rapist to use a condom?

In all respect and gentleness, this is not the question for a follower of Christ. Maria Goretti died for her purity. That is the role model, not begging for condoms.  No, most certainly not. I respectfully do not understand how the bishops could come to such conclusions. To my mind it doesn't make any sense.
Bosh! You are being evasive. What makes contraception in the case of rape with respect to the victim intrinsically wrong? The magisterium has not spoken on this so you cant appeal to it.
Why can't they just spell it all out like in the old days, like in the Baltimore Catechism? Do I really need to read all these "rigorous analysises" in order to know right from wrong? Do I have to be an intellectual to be a Catholic?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(02-23-2013, 09:42 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Why can't they just spell it all out like in the old days, like in the Baltimore Catechism? Do I really need to read all these "rigorous analysises" in order to know right from wrong? Do I have to be an intellectual to be a Catholic?
Because theres a point in life when a person is supposed to mature in their thought. Did St. Thomas have the Summa handed to him on a platter? No, you need not be an intellectual to be a Catholic but you had better be a bit more circumspect lest you wind up moralizing with a sledgehammer.
Oh, okay. Right up there with St. Thomas Aquinas? Not. I guess the average man's just not going to get holy enough because he has to read these documents and be an intellectual.

Suffer not the little children to come unto me.....
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

(02-23-2013, 09:03 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: In all respect and gentleness, this is not the question for a follower of Christ. Maria Goretti died for her purity. That is the role model, not begging for condoms.  No, most certainly not. I respectfully do not understand how the bishops could come to such conclusions. To my mind it doesn't make any sense.

What about most rape victims, who didn't successfully fight off a rapist and didn't die for their purity? Should they have the additional guilt of complying with the demands rather than allowing themselves to be killed?

In my mind rape isn't sex.  It is violence using sex as a means.  
Inany event, you didn't answer my question? What about Maria Goretti? She's not the example for us?

You do know of Maria Goretti, right?

(02-23-2013, 09:47 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Oh, okay. Right up there with St. Thomas Aquinas? Not. I guess the average man's just not going to get holy enough because he has to read these documents and be an intellectual.

What are your passive aggressive comments availing you? I am merely asking for a little reasonableness here. I gave a fairly succinct summary above of the way roughly that St. Thomas would have approached the issue. If I have gone astray from the narrow path of truth, then you have an obligation in charity to alert me.

Yes, Saint Maria Goretti is a fine exemplar for Christian women. I never contended that a woman asking for her assailant to use a condom was an act of heroic virtue but recall that good and evil are not qualities that need necessarily inhere in all things.
(02-23-2013, 09:54 PM)St. Drogo Wrote:
(02-23-2013, 09:47 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Oh, okay. Right up there with St. Thomas Aquinas? Not. I guess the average man's just not going to get holy enough because he has to read these documents and be an intellectual.

What are your passive aggressive comments availing you? I am merely asking for a little reasonableness here. I gave a fairly succinct summary above of the way roughly that St. Thomas would have approached the issue. If I have gone astray from the narrow path of truth, then you have an obligation in charity to alert me.

Yes, Saint Maria Goretti is a fine exemplar for Christian women. I never contended that a woman asking for her assailant to use a condom was an act of heroic virtue but recall that good and evil are not qualities that need necessarily inhere in all things.

Passive aggressive what? How am I not being totally up front? And  and wait, how would St. Thomas Aquinas have approached this issue?