How confession was done a hundred years ago
Brother showed me this in his hundred year old, around there, Fr. Lasalle Blessed Sacrament prayerbook so I took a picture and wanted to share it here. Heck, I might try it at the FSSP parish I goto occasionally.

[Image: 20130304100348.png]
VERY cool ..............

AMDG

Kevin
That's the way I learned to confess in the Anglican Church and the way I did it for years after becoming a Catholic. In fact, I did it with my spiritual director/confessor until I moved to Canada.
This is very good.  After I say the Act of Contrition I always add "for these and all the sins of my past life I am sorry".  Not just in the Confessional but every day when I say the Act of Contrition. 
I heard about this a while ago. Apparently it was once universal to embed the confession within the confiteor. However, it has not been practiced widely for several hundred years, primarily because it was considered to long and unnecessary when people could just say the confiteor before they got in the confessional.
A fine point, but for anyone who wishes to pick up this custom, please note the modified words of the Confiteor shown in the book:
Quote:Confíteor Deo omnipoténti, beátæ Maríæ semper Vírgini, beáto Michaéli Archángelo, beáto Joanni Baptístæ, sanctis Apóstolis Petro et Paulo, et ómnibus Sanctis: quia peccávi nimis cogitatióne, verbo et ópere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa.

Ideo precor beátam Maríam semper Vírginem, beátum Michaélem Archángelum, beátum Joánnem Baptístam, sanctos Apóstolos Petrum et Paulum, et omnes Sanctos, oráre pro me ad Dóminum Deum nostrum.

The words "et tibi, Pater" and "et te, Pater" are omitted.
I read, and I cannot recall where, that the Rite was changed in the 1920's to formally omit the Confiteor from the Confession itself (probably reflecting, as another poster mentioned, the practice having fallen into disuse).

For myself, I always recite the Confiteor before entering the Confessional.
Quote:15. The penitent says the "Confiteor," either in Latin or in the vernacular, or at least the following words: "I confess to almighty God and to you, father." Next he confesses his sins in detail, being aided whenever necessary by the priest. The latter is not to reprove the one confessing until the enumeration of sins is completed (see below), nor is he to interrupt with questions, unless this becomes necessary for fuller understanding. Accordingly he will instill confidence in the penitent, kindly encouraging him to acknowledge all sins honestly and in their entirety, undaunted by that false shame which hinders some, at the devil's prompting, from courageously confessing their sins.

It does not seem that the Confiteor has been suppressed.
I wonder, why would the priest 'deem it proper to defer absolution'?
(03-05-2013, 08:18 PM)FleetingShadow Wrote: I wonder, why would the priest 'deem it proper to defer absolution'?

If the confessor has doubts about the disposition of the penitent he may withhold absolution.  For instance if a murderer were to confess to the murder but said something along the lines of "I'm glad I did it and I'd do it again," the priest is obligated to withhold absolution since the murderer is not sorry for his sin.