10 Reasons for Cardinal Burke to be elected Pope
Cardinal Ranjith is from Sri Lanka. The wikipedia article is decent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Ranjith

To my mind, here are the reasons that make him ideal:
- He favors the traditional liturgy. He has made bold statements in its favor and has spoken sympathetically of the SSPX.
- He has pastoral experience, and he has used his pastoral authority to ban communion in the hand in his archdiocese.
- He has experience in the curia and as a papal nuncio.
- He speaks ten languages.
- He has confronted the secular government of his home country when necessary.
- He is sensitive to global social issues.
- He is uncompromisingly orthodox.
- He is capable of being diplomatic with churchmen who are unlike him. Case in point, Cardinal Schonborn considers him a dear friend.

Still, he is a long shot, I think, simply because he would be an unconventional choice. If he were Italian, I think his chances might be much better.
(03-05-2013, 11:13 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: When you tell people that the Holy Spirit invariably chooses the pope, it leads to refusal to accept the Catholic faith or loss of faith.  One can be too pious.  This is one such instance.
Then I suppose I am an apostate.

The Holy Ghost has a HUGE hand in determining the pontiff, for chastisement and or purification or otherwise.
In lighter news, Cardinal Burke has managed to stay in the running on NCR's "Conclave of the people of God"...

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/rou...people-god

We started with 117 eligible cardinals in the College of Cardinals. Now with two rounds of voting under our belts, we have our top 10 of the cardinals that you, the readers, think will become the next pope.
Below are the 10 cardinals who received the most votes in round two. Of those 10, choose the man you think will be voted to become the next pope (not the person you would like to see become the next pope). Check back next Monday to see if your pick makes the top five!

We recognize that technically, any unmarried baptized Catholic man is eligible to become pope, but since that is unlikely, we only offered cardinals under the age of 80 (those who will be voting in the conclave) as the candidates.

How much of a fit would they have if Burke actually won the whole thing?

LOL

(03-05-2013, 12:09 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: Cardinal Ranjith is from Sri Lanka. The wikipedia article is decent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Ranjith

- He favors the traditional liturgy. He has made bold statements in its favor and has spoken sympathetically of the SSPX.
- He has pastoral experience, and he has used his pastoral authority to ban communion in the hand in his archdiocese.
- He is capable of being diplomatic with churchmen who are unlike him. Case in point, Cardinal Schonborn considers him a dear friend.

Still, he is a long shot, I think, simply because he would be an unconventional choice. If he were Italian, I think his chances might be much better.

Thank you.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(03-05-2013, 12:10 PM)Old Salt Wrote: The Holy Ghost has a HUGE hand in determining the pontiff, for chastisement and or purification or otherwise.

Old Salt,
How would you phrase it theologically?  Is the Roman Pontiff chosen by the positive or merely permissive will of God?  Is He the proximate or merely remote cause of the election's outcome?  It's an interesting question, to say the least.
(03-05-2013, 12:34 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 12:10 PM)Old Salt Wrote: The Holy Ghost has a HUGE hand in determining the pontiff, for chastisement and or purification or otherwise.

Old Salt,
How would you phrase it theologically?  Is the Roman Pontiff chosen by the positive or merely permissive will of God?  Is He the proximate or merely remote cause of the election's outcome?  It's an interesting question, to say the least.

My understanding is that the Holy Ghost speaks to the conclave, but as with all graces, they can chose not to listen...

Seems simple enough.  Huh?
(03-05-2013, 12:14 AM)rbjmartin Wrote: I am fairly certain an American will not be elected because I think much of the world views the USA with a measure of caution. To elect an American might be seen as an endorsement and reaffirmation of American exceptionalism. I have no doubt that most prelates in the world view the United States as beneficial to the Church in many ways, but I think they also see it as a superpower that needs to be tempered. The hubris of American foreign policy makes it look like we think we can do whatever we want. If we had an American pope, it would only feed our hubris. Many of the cardinals are very sensitive to global social issues, and they do not want to see a further concentration of power in the hands of Americans.

Yes, I agree with rbjmartin's assessment.  Globally  the US has a bad reputation at the moment.  I will be very surprised if the new pope is American.  
(03-05-2013, 12:10 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 11:13 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: When you tell people that the Holy Spirit invariably chooses the pope, it leads to refusal to accept the Catholic faith or loss of faith.  One can be too pious.  This is one such instance.
Then I suppose I am an apostate.

The Holy Ghost has a HUGE hand in determining the pontiff, for chastisement and or purification or otherwise.

You are falling into black-and-white thinking.  You're mistaken, not an "apostate."

The process is not exclusively supernatural and the cardinals need not follow His guidance.  The result will always be within God's providence, but it is not necessarily what He wanted.

Please read my post here:  http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33871452
(03-05-2013, 12:09 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: Cardinal Ranjith is from Sri Lanka. The wikipedia article is decent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Ranjith

So in reviewing the qualifications of the cardinals who are most often mentioned as papabile (both by liberals and trads), I'm really not seeing anyone who ticks off as many boxes as Ranjith. Many have diocesan experience but little curial experience (and vice versa). And there are few who are as accomplished in languages as Ranjith. On paper (even leaving aside his trad appeal), he seems like the best all-around candidate.

I should also mention that Catholics are a small minority in Sri Lanka. Thus, having headed two dioceses there, he has an awareness of the necessity of missionary zeal, as well as being able to reach out to those of other religions. Is this not a microcosm of the Church in the modern world? Aren't we a small minority in need of missionary zeal?
(03-05-2013, 12:38 PM)JubilateDeo Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 12:34 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote:

Old Salt,

My understanding is that the Holy Ghost speaks to the conclave, but as with all graces, they can chose not to listen...

Seems simple enough.  Huh?
Yes, that is what my spiritual director told me.