10 Reasons for Cardinal Burke to be elected Pope
(03-05-2013, 01:31 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 12:38 PM)JubilateDeo Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 12:34 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 12:10 PM)Old Salt Wrote: The Holy Ghost has a HUGE hand in determining the pontiff, for chastisement and or purification or otherwise.

Old Salt,
How would you phrase it theologically?  Is the Roman Pontiff chosen by the positive or merely permissive will of God?  Is He the proximate or merely remote cause of the election's outcome?  It's an interesting question, to say the least.

My understanding is that the Holy Ghost speaks to the conclave, but as with all graces, they can chose not to listen...

Seems simple enough.  ???
Yes, that is what my spiritual director told me.
That, and the fact that the Holy Spirit will be with the newly elected Pontiff.
Old Salt, if you really believe there's no politics in the conclave I suggest you read this article on Conclave Capitulations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conclave_capitulation
I agree with some other posters in here, they WILL NOT elect an American Cardinal!!  And I think Cardinal Ranjith has a slim chance as well so............
If it isn't them, who are the others you would like to see became the next Successor of St. Peter??  And no, don't say +Fellay because he probably has about a  0.00000000000001% chance of getting elected too!!

Give us 3 other choices!! :grin:
(03-05-2013, 05:19 PM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote: I agree with some other posters in here, they WILL NOT elect an American Cardinal!!  And I think Cardinal Ranjith has a slim chance as well so............
If it isn't them, who are the others you would like to see became the next Successor of St. Peter??  And no, don't say +Fellay because he probably has about a  0.00000000000001% chance of getting elected too!!

115 realistic candidates. Take your pick, or let the Holy Spirit do it.
I always go for the latter.
:)
(03-05-2013, 05:33 PM)Cooler King Wrote: 115 realistic candidates. Take your pick, or let the Holy Spirit do it.
I always go for the latter.
:)

Yeah, this kind of handicapping is fruitless.  Pray for the Conclave and let the Holy Spirit do its work.
Quote:Yeah, this kind of handicapping is fruitless.

At what point did anyone claim it was fruitful?  No one did, ever!  It's just a discussion, you bunch of prigs.  If Catholics want to discuss who the next Pope might be, let them!  For crying out loud...
(03-05-2013, 05:46 PM)Burdensome1 Wrote:
Quote:Yeah, this kind of handicapping is fruitless.

At what point did anyone claim it was fruitful?  No one did, ever!  It's just a discussion, you bunch of prigs.  If Catholics want to discuss who the next Pope might be, let them!  For crying out loud...

I would point out that it's the exact kind of discussion the secular and worldly media is having.  You know, the ones most of us decry and hate.  Should we be imitating these vultures?

You are right, though.  My comment might have been a bit too harsh and for that I apologize.
(03-05-2013, 05:19 PM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote: I agree with some other posters in here, they WILL NOT elect an American Cardinal!!  And I think Cardinal Ranjith has a slim chance as well so............

What would everyone think about Cardinal Pell? I don't think it is likely to be him, but the Media put him above Burke and Ranjith in the list of likely papabili. He would certainly continue Benedict's liturgical restoration (he supports mandated ad orientem for the canon of the Mass.) Interestingly enough he has also been very critical of Benedict's decision to resign, saying it set a bad precedent and insulted tradition. 
The conventional wisdom is that they won't elect an American.

But Burke is the most European American in the College.
(03-05-2013, 09:59 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: But Burke is the most European American in the College.

In terms of what?