Requests for prayers for a modernist Cardinal
This was posted on my prayer page for my Cardinal, and I sorta flipped:

Quote:Monsieur le cardinal EDITED OUT a pris connaissance de votre requête. Il regrette de ne pouvoir transmettre votre demande d'aide par la prière au pape Benoit XVI, mais il vous assure de sa prière. Si vous désirez communiquer directement directement avec le Vatican , vous pouvez le faire à l'adresse suivante: Sa Sainteté le pape Benoit XVI, Cité du Vatican, 00120.

Bruno Toupin
Secrétaire de l'Archevêque

I flipped for several reasons, but essentially ...I handled it as I think Our Lady would have. A nice thank you for sharing, and assurances that His Eminence's prayers would surely be heard in any circumstance, and appreciated my Cardinal's prayers for my page (I THINK that's the gist of it; I do NOT speak French.) Just #KeepingItPositive!

I'm keeping my Cardinal Page :grin:
From google's translate:
Mr. Cardinal EDITED OUT is aware of your request. He regrets not being able to send your request help through prayer to Pope Benedict XVI, but he assures you of his prayers. If you wish to communicate directly with the Vatican directly, you can do so at the following address: His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, Vatican City, 00120.

It looks like they thought you were asking His Eminence for prayers, rather than praying for His Eminence.

:pray: :pray: :pray:
(03-10-2013, 09:58 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: From google's translate:
Mr. Cardinal EDITED OUT is aware of your request. He regrets not being able to send your request help through prayer to Pope Benedict XVI, but he assures you of his prayers. If you wish to communicate directly with the Vatican directly, you can do so at the following address: His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, Vatican City, 00120.

It looks like they thought you were asking His Eminence for prayers, rather than praying for His Eminence.

I know. I'm terrible.

Okay, if anyone wants to check out my page and give me pointers (as I've NEVER made an FB page before, and "my friends" bailed (we're not big FB users), I suppose that would be the thing to do.

But I'd like to stress that my Cardinal is not a modernist. His reputation is not positive, it seems, but the more I've read about him (his actual WORDS), the more I think he's in a HARD situation. He is NOT pro-abortion, though he does appear to have a gay "married" couple in his employ. He even quit his country's orders in protest of an abortionist being brought into the order. (It's all on the page.) He's a bit more like Bl. JP2 (even called a "worker priest") instead of what's been said of him. His ACTIONS have been holy; he just has a BAAAAD country. I wish I could change the title of this thread, because I now believe CARDINAL TURCOTTE of Montreal is a very holy man, true to the Church, and has gotten a TERRIBLE rap from the press such that both "factions" hate him, and most of all, he did not defend himself at all. That struck me; put me in tears, in fact. He did do one "scandalous" thing, but it was VERY minor.

Here's the page:

:pray:

https://www.facebook.com/CardinalTurcotte/

Note: I'm not asking for people to like the page. Not advertising. Just asking for advice, because I truly think I'm going to keep his page going. Maybe change the name to something better after the Conclave, and DO his page, with his consent.
All my rosaries for them!
(03-10-2013, 07:27 PM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: But I would note that very many Cardinals don't have FB pages to "like" or "follow" at all. If you run across a poorly-made, amateurish new page, you'll have found my Cardinal.

In fact, I was thinking that every Cardinal should have a FB page on which people could express prayers, learn about , maybe understand his current [edited] TRIALS (not "trails"), or post his videos and articles, etc. . . .

(Not even popular Cardinals, such as Card. Arinze, have FB pages. But the American Cardinals seem to.)

Eh, sharing is overrated. Certainly "liking" on Facebook is overrated.
(03-12-2013, 10:29 PM)m.PR Wrote:
(03-10-2013, 07:27 PM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: But I would note that very many Cardinals don't have FB pages to "like" or "follow" at all. If you run across a poorly-made, amateurish new page, you'll have found my Cardinal.

In fact, I was thinking that every Cardinal should have a FB page on which people could express prayers, learn about , maybe understand his current [edited] TRIALS (not "trails"), or post his videos and articles, etc. . . .

(Not even popular Cardinals, such as Card. Arinze, have FB pages. But the American Cardinals seem to.)

Eh, sharing is overrated. Certainly "liking" on Facebook is overrated.

Maybe. I'm not a big FBer (until now, I guess!) People who haven't liked the page but have messaged me said "thank you" because they got him as their adopted Cardinal, but knew very little about him. When I looked him up, I was horrified myself! But the more I sought out his actual words, the more I realized he wasn't pleasing to anyone, which reminded me a lot of + Jesus.

True, Cardinal Turcotte is a little more modernist than I care for, but not NEARLY as bad as his reputation! There are Canadians who seem to hold him personally responsible for women not being ordained priests in the Church! And he's trying (I have the video!) to point people to +Jesus and asking us to pray with Mary and the Saints (he SOUNDS trad sometimes!), and I sense strongly that any concessions he's made to modernists wasn't THAT bad at all and yet was hated by everybody, including the modernists.

It's hard to tell about him since there aren't many trads in Canada! Oulette, who is touted as a serious contender for Pope, was supported by only one person in the Canadian Church when he decried abortion, and that person was Cardinal Turcotte. There's something very humble and holy about this Cardinal. And if his haters find my page and want to yell about him, I'd like a chance to point out their incredible error (using Canon Law with the help of my priest, or I can use the CCC quotes myself, so I wouldn't be "an apologetic" or taking on any role like that.)

Then again, I'm having a change of heart about having a second Pope at all right now; a STRONG change of heart after seeing that massive black smoke from the chimney today. So I'm "sequestered" alongside Cardinal Turcotte — not posting on his page — when they went cloistered today. I suppose I'll respond to anyone;s questions, but... my heart is torn about the Conclave right now. I'm suddenly praying just for God's Will to be done, and Cardinal Turcotte in general, and all the souls in Purgatory,  but not for a new Pope, because it feels wrong now to pray for a Pope when we have His Holiness Benedict XVI, Emeritus or not. Guess I'm not a very good Catholic. :/

:pray2:
(03-13-2013, 12:04 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: it feels wrong now to pray for a Pope when we have His Holiness Benedict XVI, Emeritus or not. Guess I'm not a very good Catholic. :/

It's a situation that feels unprecedented, I'm sure many people felt similarly conflicted, specially those of us who deeply appreciated Pope Benedict! It felt very weird to see another man in white.

It is good that you developed so much sympathy for your adopted cardinal, too.