No "una cum" and no plenary indulgence to be gained during this Interregnum?
So what does  the priest saying Mass during the Canon when he comes to the "una cum Benedicto" say since he is no longer pope (Apostolis sede vacans)?  I'm sure the SVs have dealt with this before as wsll as now.

How about gaining a plenary indulgence with no pope's intention to pray for.  (A requisite?)

I think the "una cum" is left in with reference to the local bishop, but the reference to the Pope is ommitted.

As for the plenary indulgence, the Apostolic Penitentiary said it is still possible to pray for the Pope's intentions, because the general intentions of the Pope--for the good of the Church--is an intention that persists even when there is no Pope. See here:
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/02/quaeritur...ly-father/

To go into a little more detail, according to the following old book on indulgences, the Pope's intentions are the following as a general rule:

"The intentions for which the Holy Father, as a general rule, requires prayer to be offered are: For the exaltation of Holy Church; for the extirpation of schism and heresy; for peace and concord amongst Christian kings and princes; and for the propagation of the Catholic faith. With these general intentions it would be fitting and judicious to offer a further prayer for the welfare of the Sovereign Pontiff, and for his special intentions." pg. 28
http://books.google.com/books?id=KPUCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=book+of+holy+indulgences&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

There's actually good prayers for these if you scroll to page 34 of that same book. (as an aside, I've seen some more recent lists of these that have "peace among nations"  instead of the one for Christian princes, given the general lack of Christian princes these days.)

These are basically the ends of the office of the papacy regardless of who is Pope. The ones published monthly these days are much more specific so I would think those are his "special intentions," but these general intentions are always present.
Appreciate the reply and information, SaintSebastian.  Thanks.
(03-07-2013, 08:29 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: I think the "una cum" is left in with reference to the local bishop, but the reference to the Pope is ommitted.

As for the plenary indulgence, the Apostolic Penitentiary said it is still possible to pray for the Pope's intentions, because the general intentions of the Pope--for the good of the Church--is an intention that persists even when there is no Pope. See here:
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/02/quaeritur...ly-father/

To go into a little more detail, according to the following old book, the Popes intentions are the following as a general rule:

"The intentions for which the Holy Father, as a general rule, requires prayer to be offered are: For the exaltation of Holy Church; for the extirpation of schism and heresy; for peace and concord amongst Christian kings and princes; and for the propagation of the Catholic faith. With these general intentions it would be fitting and judicious to offer a further prayer for the welfare of the Sovereign Pontiff, and for his special intentions." pg. 28
http://books.google.com/books?id=KPUCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=book+of+holy+indulgences&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

There's actually good prayers for these if you scroll to page 34 of that same book. (as an aside, I've seen some more recent lists of these that have "peace among nations"  instead of the one for Christian princes, given the general lack of Christian princes these days.)

These are basically the ends of the office of the papacy regardless of who is Pope. The ones published monthly these days are much more specific so I would think those are his "special intentions," but these general intentions are always present.

:)
The rubrics address this (Ritus servandus in celebratione missae, VIII, 2): "Ubi dicit: una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro N., exprimit nomen Papae: Sede autem vacante verba praedicta omittuntur." ("Where he says together with thy servant our Pope N., he pronounces the name of the Pope. But the see being vacant the aforesaid words are omitted."

For the bishop: "Ubi dicitur: et Antistite nostro N., specificatur nomen Patriarchae, Archiepiscopi, vel Episcopi Ordinarii dioecesis in qua Sacrum facit, et non alterius Superioris, etiamsi celebrans sit omnino exemptus, vel sub alterius Episcopi iurisdictione. Si vero Episcopus Ordinarius illius loci, in quo Missa celebratur, sit vita functus, praedicta verba omittuntur, quae etiam omittuntur ab iis qui Romae celebrant." ("Where it is said: and our Bishop N., the name of the Patriarch, Archbishop, or Bishop who is the Ordinary of the diocese in which the Sacrifice is made, and not another Superior, even if the celebrant be entirely exempt, or under the jurisdiction of another bishop. But if the Ordinary Bishop of that place, in which Mass is celebrate, be deceased, the aforesaid words are omitted, which are also omitted by those who celebrate in Rome."

This is also varied when a bishop or the Pope celebrate Mass: "Si celebrans est Episcopus, Archiepiscopus vel Patriarcha, omissis praedictis verbis, eorum loco dicit: et me indigno servo tuo. Summus autem Pontifex cum celebrat, omissis verbis: una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro N. et Antistite nostro N., dicit: una cum me indigno famulo tuo, quem gregi tuo praeesse voluisti. Et continuant omnes, ut sequitur: et omnibus orthodoxis, etc." ("If the celebrant is a Bishop, Archbishop or Patriarch, the aforesaid words having been omitted, in their place he says: and my thy unworthy servant. And when the Supreme Pontiff celebrates, the words having been omitted: together withy thy servant our Pope N. and our Bishop N., he says: together with me thy unworthy servant, whom thou hast willed to lead thy flock. And all continue, as follows: and with all faithful, etc.")
I'm sure you can always pray for the next the Pope, and it probably wouldn't hurt to pray for the cardinals either
(03-07-2013, 11:31 AM)Paul Wrote: The rubrics address this (Ritus servandus in celebratione missae, VIII, 2): "Ubi dicit: una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro N., exprimit nomen Papae: Sede autem vacante verba praedicta omittuntur." ("Where he says together with thy servant our Pope N., he pronounces the name of the Pope. But the see being vacant the aforesaid words are omitted."

For the bishop: "Ubi dicitur: et Antistite nostro N., specificatur nomen Patriarchae, Archiepiscopi, vel Episcopi Ordinarii dioecesis in qua Sacrum facit, et non alterius Superioris, etiamsi celebrans sit omnino exemptus, vel sub alterius Episcopi iurisdictione. Si vero Episcopus Ordinarius illius loci, in quo Missa celebratur, sit vita functus, praedicta verba omittuntur, quae etiam omittuntur ab iis qui Romae celebrant." ("Where it is said: and our Bishop N., the name of the Patriarch, Archbishop, or Bishop who is the Ordinary of the diocese in which the Sacrifice is made, and not another Superior, even if the celebrant be entirely exempt, or under the jurisdiction of another bishop. But if the Ordinary Bishop of that place, in which Mass is celebrate, be deceased, the aforesaid words are omitted, which are also omitted by those who celebrate in Rome."

This is also varied when a bishop or the Pope celebrate Mass: "Si celebrans est Episcopus, Archiepiscopus vel Patriarcha, omissis praedictis verbis, eorum loco dicit: et me indigno servo tuo. Summus autem Pontifex cum celebrat, omissis verbis: una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro N. et Antistite nostro N., dicit: una cum me indigno famulo tuo, quem gregi tuo praeesse voluisti. Et continuant omnes, ut sequitur: et omnibus orthodoxis, etc." ("If the celebrant is a Bishop, Archbishop or Patriarch, the aforesaid words having been omitted, in their place he says: and my thy unworthy servant. And when the Supreme Pontiff celebrates, the words having been omitted: together withy thy servant our Pope N. and our Bishop N., he says: together with me thy unworthy servant, whom thou hast willed to lead thy flock. And all continue, as follows: and with all faithful, etc.")

Thank you Paul!  Haven' t seen you here in million years!  If anyone cares to know, Paul is FE's in-house liturgical expert.  Sorry to expose you Paul but that's the truth.