The 2 Popes Scenario
If a liberal/modernist becomes Pope will some traditionalists start claiming that Benedict is legally still the Pope?
But he abdicated. How can he still hold the title? Perhaps traditionalists will move Williamson to a dirty apartment in NYC's Little Italy and claim he's the official pope.
(03-12-2013, 07:14 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: But he abdicated. How can he still hold the title? Perhaps traditionalists will move Williamson to a dirty apartment in NYC's Little Italy and claim he's the official pope.

I highly doubt he would claim to be Pope - but it wouldn't be the first monarch who abdicated and then wanted the job back.
(03-12-2013, 08:19 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 07:14 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: But he abdicated. How can he still hold the title? Perhaps traditionalists will move Williamson to a dirty apartment in NYC's Little Italy and claim he's the official pope.

I highly doubt he would claim to be Pope - but it wouldn't be the first monarch who abdicated and then wanted the job back.

Kinda like Jay Leno.
(03-12-2013, 08:21 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 08:19 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote:

Kinda like Jay Leno.

The modernism of Conan made that necessary though.

Can someone explain why people make ABSURD comments like the above? A moron has more common sense!
absurd but clever. Come on...Pope/Italy/Vatican City...Williamson/split from church/New York City/Little Italy. See the parallels!
(03-13-2013, 01:50 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: absurd but clever. Come on...Pope/Italy/Vatican City...Williamson/split from church/New York City/Little Italy. See the parallels!

Uh duh. It's simply ABSURD. Just another attempt to discredit Bp. Williamson (whose position I find untenable) by those who wish to play Let's Make a Deal...
(03-12-2013, 06:49 PM)salus Wrote: If a liberal/modernist becomes Pope will some traditionalists start claiming that Benedict is legally still the Pope?

It's crossed my mind.  Also, if a trad-friendly pope is elected some liberals might claim Benedict is still the 'real' pope.  Stranger things have happened.
[quote='DoktorDespot' pid='1154261']

He wouldn't be the first Pope to do so either--in fact, not even the first Pope named Benedict to do so!  (personally, I don't think he will publically express any desire to be Pope again).