What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision?
“Ante la cercanía de las Altas Fiestas hago llegar a la Comunidad Israelita mi cercanía y mejores deseos. Me uno en oración a mis hermanos mayores y,por favor, les pido que recen por mí. Que el Señor los bendiga”.

Mensaje del Cardenal Bergoglio, con motivo de las celebraciones del año nuevo judío, enviado a través de la Agencia Judía de Noticias(8-9-2.010)

"As the high feasts approach, I wish to communicate to the Jewish community my closeness and best wishes. I unite in prayer with my elder brothers, and humbly ask that they pray for me. May the Lord bless them."

Message from Cardinal Bergoglio, regarding the celebrations of the Jewish New Year, sent through the Jewish News Agency (September 8, 2010)

I think the more universal assumption that the name refers to Francis of Assisi, at least primarily, is more safely correct, rather than a reference to Francis Xavier.

I see nothing wrong with taking a name after Francis of Assisi.
(03-13-2013, 04:13 PM)Cordobes Wrote: I think the more universal assumption that the name refers to Francis of Assisi, at least primarily, is more safely correct, rather than a reference to Francis Xavier.

I see nothing wrong with taking a name after Francis of Assisi.

Both are great saints.  Why might Francis Xavier be "less safe?"
I meant to convey that I obviously have no way of knowing the mind of the Holy Father on the name he chose, but I believe that it is a safer assumption that that he took the name in homage to Francis of Assisi than in homage to Francis Xavier.

I think I see what you read from my sentence, but hopefully I have made it clearer. I agree both are great saints, I personally feel more affinity to Xavier, but recognize the great holiness of Francis of Assisi as well.
(03-13-2013, 04:19 PM)Cordobes Wrote: I meant to convey that I obviously have no way of knowing the mind of the Holy Father on the name he chose, but I believe that it is a safer assumption that that he took the name in homage to Francis of Assisi than in homage to Francis Xavier.

I think I see what you read from my sentence, but hopefully I have made it clearer. I agree both are great saints, I personally feel more affinity to Xavier, but recognize the great holiness of Francis of Assisi as well.

Ahhh, OK!  Sorry!
I am so glad it isn't John Paul III.
(03-13-2013, 03:55 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: He wasn't wearing the Papal Mozzetta and only put on the stole for the blessing.

I noticed this straight away, it was most disconcerting.

I did not like that he prayed the Pater Noster in Italian instead of singing it in Latin like HH. Benedict XVI used to do, but that can be overlooked due to the fact that Pope Francis was clearly tired and overwhelmed.

Seeing Marini with the stole waiting in his arms, though, was worrying.
My first thought was "another nearly 80 year,old Pope? So we can go through it all again in a few years? Sigh.
[Updated at 4:53 p.m. ET] We've just been given confirmation about which Francis the new pope is honoring in his choice of name.

The new pope took the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because he is a lover of the poor, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Tom Rosica told CNN.

Also, the new pope should be known as Pope Francis, not Pope Francis I, Rosica said.

From CNN.
(03-13-2013, 05:54 PM)Cordobes Wrote: [Updated at 4:53 p.m. ET] We've just been given confirmation about which Francis the new pope is honoring in his choice of name.

The new pope took the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because he is a lover of the poor, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Tom Rosica told CNN.

Also, the new pope should be known as Pope Francis, not Pope Francis I, Rosica said.

From CNN.

Did the Pope already fire Father Lombardi  :LOL:?
Yes, that's a good point Someone. Obviously an error by the CNN blogger...so it might not be case closed yet.