What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision?
(03-13-2013, 09:25 PM)Cordobes Wrote: Cardinal Dolan confirms that the Holy Father chose his name in honor of Francis of Assisi, not Xavier or any other:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/861669...e-francis/

Makes sense. Social justice and all that jazz.
(03-13-2013, 03:54 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: I don't mind it.  I hope he just follows in the steps of either St. Francis of Assisi or St. Francis Xavier.  
I hear that he tries to follow the steps of St Francis of Assisi
:) :) :)
(03-13-2013, 05:59 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I just find it hard to believe that a Jesuit would take the name of the founder of the Franciscan order. 

St. Francis is a saint of the universal Church, not a saint for Franciscans only.
(03-14-2013, 12:27 AM)Poche Wrote:
(03-13-2013, 03:54 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: I don't mind it.  I hope he just follows in the steps of either St. Francis of Assisi or St. Francis Xavier.  
I hear that he tries to follow the steps of St Francis of Assisi
:) :) :)

God did ask St. Francis to rebuild His Church.
(03-14-2013, 12:59 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:
(03-13-2013, 05:59 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I just find it hard to believe that a Jesuit would take the name of the founder of the Franciscan order. 

St. Francis is a saint of the universal Church, not a saint for Franciscans only.

Yes, but traditionally Jesuits have had a rivalry with the Franciscans.
(03-14-2013, 05:18 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 12:59 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:

Yes, but traditionally Jesuits have had a rivalry with the Franciscans.
St. Francis of Assisi would probably be the reason he took this name ("Rebuild my Church" the Lord commanded St. Francis), for his humility and holy obedience.  Francis Xavier is another reason, being that he was a Jesuit.  (By thew I am informed that this pope has nothing to do with the almost apostate and modernist Jesuit Order and follows the rule of St. Ignatius).  Francis Xavier is known as the Apostle to the Indies (brought the Faith to Japan, India and the Far East),  But there is also another Francis -- de Sales, whose Introduction to the Devout Life is a surefire predestination to salvation, who brought back thousands of the Reformers, especially the Calvinists.

Nota Bene:  We hope that this pope will put an end to the Assisi "prayer for peace" meetong, which the last pope, who ws against the first Assisi meeting, renewed the aberration last year (or the year beforfe) in "honor" of JP II.
(03-13-2013, 05:37 PM)slewi Wrote: My first thought was "another nearly 80 year,old Pope? So we can go through it all again in a few years? Sigh.

Would you have preferred one young enough to have a pontificate as long as Pope John Paul II did?
There is a first time for everything. St Francis is a great saint and may pope Francis by the intercession of St Francis under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, guide us to heaven. Amen