Non-European
For those who seem to love this stupid stuff he's the first non-european since 700 A.D. , myself i just want a strong zealous orthodox Pope who's #1 thing is the Salvation of Souls from going to Hell.
His parents are Italin all the way, they immigrated to Argentia from Italy, where he was born. So even though he was born in Argentia, his blood is Italian, so is he really non european? In fact we have yet another italian pope
Even if he were a "purebred" Argentinian: everyone knows Argentinians are Italians that speak Spanish.
What I'm saying is we have in reality an Italian pope,  yet one to appease the many Hispanic Catholics, 40-50 percent of the Church. And as we know many Hispanic's are drifting toward the prot sects; this could be the thing to bring them back. God works in strange (to us) ways sometimes.
I don't know that he really counts as an "Italian pope." Usually, when people talk about another Italian pope, they mean someone who is familiar with Vatican politics and all of that. It doesn't really seem that the Holy Father would have that sort of on-the-ground knowledge of the situation there.
(03-13-2013, 08:23 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: I don't know that he really counts as an "Italian pope." Usually, when people talk about another Italian pope, they mean someone who is familiar with Vatican politics and all of that. It doesn't really seem that the Holy Father would have that sort of on-the-ground knowledge of the situation there.

Might not be as naive as you think. Remember he was runner up last time. The other cardinals must know something.
(03-13-2013, 06:51 PM)salus Wrote: i just want a strong zealous orthodox Pope who's #1 thing is the Salvation of Souls from going to Hell.

He said this as cardinal:
Quote:“In our ecclesiastical region there are priests who don’t baptize the children of single mothers because they weren’t conceived in the sanctity of marriage,” Bergoglio told his priests. “These are today’s hypocrites. Those who clericalize the Church. Those who separate the people of God from salvation. And this poor girl who, rather than returning the child to sender, had the courage to carry it into the world, must wander from parish to parish so that it’s baptized!”