A different view on our new Pontiff (Sandro Magister)
Via the New Liturgical Movement. h/t

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/201...-pope.html

In the conclave of 2005 the opposite had happened for him. Bergoglio was one of the most decisive supporters of the appointment of Joseph Ratzinger as pope. And instead he found himself voted for, against his own will, precisely by those who wanted to block the appointment of Benedict XVI.
That was encouraging...to tell you the truth I was very excited when Benedict XVI was elected Pope, but other than Summorum Pontificum
I was left somewhat disappointed by his Pontificate. After the election of Francis I was very upset maybe his Pontificate will pleasantly surprise me!
The article mentions that Pope Francis rerferred to Pope Benedict as "bishop" and not "pope." However, the article did not mention that Pope Francis repeatedly referenced to himself as "Bishop" and "Bishop of Rome" rather than "Pope." I wonder if he believes that the Church needs, to some degree, to be decentralized.
(03-13-2013, 10:43 PM)Papist Wrote: The article mentions that Pope Francis rerferred to Pope Benedict as "bishop" and not "pope." However, the article did not mention that Pope Francis repeatedly referenced to himself as "Bishop" and "Bishop of Rome" rather than "Pope." I wonder if he believes that the Church needs, to some degree, to be decentralized.

Good point. I hope not!
Why? in the long run, the Church will probably need a certain amount of decentralization. The past couple of centuries are not necessarily normative in this regard. Whatever the meaning, it certainly is interesting that the Holy Father referred to himself primarily as the bishop of Rome, though I wouldn't be quick to attribute too much significance to the fact.
(03-13-2013, 10:59 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Why? in the long run, the Church will probably need a certain amount of decentralization. The past couple of centuries are not necessarily normative in this regard. Whatever the meaning, it certainly is interesting that the Holy Father referred to himself primarily as the bishop of Rome, though I wouldn't be quick to attribute too much significance to the fact.

Unfortunately decentralization has so far meant empowering the national episcopal conferences who have often proved to be enemies of basic Catholic principles. The Pope is the pillar of unity within hierarchy of the church,hopefully Pope Francis does not forget that .
(03-13-2013, 11:06 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote:
(03-13-2013, 10:59 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Why? in the long run, the Church will probably need a certain amount of decentralization. The past couple of centuries are not necessarily normative in this regard. Whatever the meaning, it certainly is interesting that the Holy Father referred to himself primarily as the bishop of Rome, though I wouldn't be quick to attribute too much significance to the fact.

Unfortunately decentralization has so far meant empowering the national episcopal conferences who have often proved to be enemies of basic Catholic principles. The Pope is the pillar of unity within hierarchy of the church,hopefully Pope Francis does not forget that .
I wonder whether or not he wants to be the Pope.
(03-13-2013, 10:43 PM)Papist Wrote: The article mentions that Pope Francis referred to Pope Benedict as "bishop" and not "pope." However, the article did not mention that Pope Francis repeatedly referenced to himself as "Bishop" and "Bishop of Rome" rather than "Pope." I wonder if he believes that the Church needs, to some degree, to be decentralized.
Our new Holy Father (trying to get used to thinking of Francis instead of Benedict) as a Jesuit is obviously against pomp and high title, and as well he has been against superiors lording their position over their inferiors especially the clergy doing so.  I think he would rather emphasize the priest as servant. Also EWTN commentator said that "pope" or "papa" is not an official of the Bishop of Rome but rather an nickname given by the faithful.
It also seems he's for decentralization but not democratization of the Church. Basically I think he'd rather have priests take the Gospel to the people. He's a real Francis, if you will.