Thinking about changeing Religion ? Trad to Orthodox ( I need Advice.... im 25 )
Hello Folks

I'm a Trad Catholic but havent attended a Trad Mass in well over a year. I am from Scotland and your more likely to find a sunny beach or a desert in Scotland than a Priest even a little open to saying the Trad Mass ( Some of you people really dont know how good you have it , even haveing any Traditional Mass avalible to you. I realize there is the SSpx in Glasgow, Fssp in Edinbrugh and The Monks in Orkney.
I am unable to reach any of these mass's .
This though has been going through my head for a few months, it has nothing to do with Pope Francis I must add ( Lets have Hope the Papacy will change him ), Although one of them videos posted left me shocked !!!!!
I am leaving to go to Romania in the next week, where I maybe will live at least for a yaer. I will be there over Good Friday, Easter Sunday etc
And I have a feeling I might be in Awe, And have a feeling I'm going to weigh up NO Church with Romanian Orthodox and there will be a 1st Round knockout.
I honestly to not know much about the Romanian Orthodox Church apart from photos and videos where Ive been blown away by there reverance.
And of course There Love for the God Bearer, The Virgin Mary.
Someone said last night how the hell did the older Trads deal with this for 40 years and see this going on ? Your better men and woman than myself.
I'm a recent Trad (3 years ) And I cant take this dliberate confusion anymore devils in the Church and the heartache.
Worse still, I want to have a wife and child in the future, Am I to bring them up in the NO Church, go to a NO School and my son end up in Prison ? ( I only say this as I went to a NO School and over 10% of my classmates are in Prison, dead or junkies )
Is it right on me to jump the sinking Ship ? Or should I sink with the Ship ?
I ask this because I'm loseing my soul and my faith.
You can see this by the last time I posted.

Thank you All, May God Bless you and Lets Pray For Our New Pope !!!!!
Everywhere has its problems.

Romania is a corrupt country and if you don't think they'll be corruption in the Romanian Orthodox Church think again.  I know Eastern Europe, very well, and could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end.

You're a man.  Make your own decisions.  Nobody here knows the answers, of that I can assure you.

You're also a Scot.  The Orthodox Church and you are going to have very little in common.  But you might warm to it, who knows?  I suspect it will just be a honeymoon period though.

This is the Great Apostacy in my opinion.  Nowhere is going to be immune from it.

The good news is that I don't think we have very much longer.
Like Ggreg I believe we are in the Apostasy. Wherever we are each of us must make the best accommodation one can. Prayerfully lay it out before the Lord and make the best decision you can.

tim
It is not worth being in Schism.  You cannot save your soul with more sin.

Go to an Eastern Rite church if that's available.  But if you're willing to move to Romania why not just move somewhere in Scotland that has the TLM?  Have you asked your priest to celebrate it?
Never make big decisions in a desolation, and while their are aspects of the Orthodox (such as sacramental discipline) that are admirable their moral theology (birth control, divorce) is not good, not to mention the endless mini schisms breaking communion with each other etc.

I am also 25 with 3 children, I am not going to become sede, I am not going to break communion with my bishop, I am not going to become Orthodox, what I will try to do is become more deeply committed to Jesus Christ and put my hope in him.

"But in all things let us exhibit ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in tribulation, in necessities, in distresses, In stripes, in prisons, in seditions, in labours, in watchings, in fastings, In chastity, in knowledge, in longsuffering, in sweetness, in the Holy Ghost, in charity unfeigned, In the word of truth, in the power of God; by the armour of justice on the right hand and on the left; By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true; as unknown, and yet known;As dying, and behold we live; as chastised, and not killed; As sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as needy, yet enriching many; as having nothing, and possessing all things." 2 Cor 6 4-10
(03-14-2013, 08:39 AM)nmoerbeek Wrote: Never make big decisions in a desolation, and while their are aspects of the Orthodox (such as sacramental discipline) that are admirable their moral theology (birth control, divorce) is not good, not to mention the endless mini schisms breaking communion with each other etc.

I am also 25 with 3 children, I am not going to become sede, I am not going to break communion with my bishop, I am not going to become Orthodox, what I will try to do is become more deeply committed to Jesus Christ and put my hope in him.

"But in all things let us exhibit ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in tribulation, in necessities, in distresses, In stripes, in prisons, in seditions, in labours, in watchings, in fastings, In chastity, in knowledge, in longsuffering, in sweetness, in the Holy Ghost, in charity unfeigned, In the word of truth, in the power of God; by the armour of justice on the right hand and on the left; By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true; as unknown, and yet known;As dying, and behold we live; as chastised, and not killed; As sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as needy, yet enriching many; as having nothing, and possessing all things." 2 Cor 6 4-10
Romania has plenty of Eastern rite CATHOLIC churches.....you do not need to go to the schismatics.
Most of the Orthodox Churches are all in communion with each other, so you don't necessarily have to join the specific one of the country you would be moving to.
There are a surprisingly large number of differences, theologically, between the Orthodox and the Catholics. Trust me on this, I almost converted twice. The least of which is that they do not accept Purgatory, and their belief in original sin is framed differently from ours. Due to that, there is no need for an Immaculate Conception. Their philosophy is guided more by Plato than by Aristotle. There's a lot my friend.

The Eastern Catholics and the Orthodox also don't usually look fondly on the Roman Catholics who want to convert because they are pissed off with their own Church, but don't give two craps about Eastern theology and philosophy. Mostly because that has happened a decent amount of times in the past 40-50 years. Not all converts from Roman Catholicism to the Eastern Churches, especially the Orthodox, are like that. But there are enough to be noticed. They also STRONGLY disapprove of it simply "to be a married priest" because that thinking leads to one being Eastern ecclesiastically, but Western theologically and philosophically.
A good question for all: Why don't more traditionalists, who have suffered under the yoke of modernism for so long, become Eastern Catholics?
(03-14-2013, 10:03 AM)Papist Wrote: A good question for all: Why don't more traditionalists, who have suffered under the yoke of modernism for so long, become Eastern Catholics?

Many who do come to our parishes and try to turn it into a trad Latin chapel.  Completely unacceptable.  Eastern Catholics are usually welcoming of Latin refugees, but if you're going to worship with us, you're going to worship the way we do :)
(03-14-2013, 10:06 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 10:03 AM)Papist Wrote: A good question for all: Why don't more traditionalists, who have suffered under the yoke of modernism for so long, become Eastern Catholics?

Many who do come to our parishes and try to turn it into a trad Latin chapel.  Completely unacceptable.  Eastern Catholics are usually welcoming of Latin refugees, but if you're going to worship with us, you're going to worship the way we do :)
I get that. But wouldn't it be better to worship as an Eastern Catholic than to suffer a modernist perish.