Thinking about changeing Religion ? Trad to Orthodox ( I need Advice.... im 25 )
(03-14-2013, 01:54 PM)ggreg Wrote: But Scotland isn't exactly a barren waste land.

Have you been there?

lol
(03-14-2013, 01:48 PM)City Smurf Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 06:07 AM)Chris87 Wrote: I realize there is the SSpx in Glasgow, Fssp in Edinbrugh and The Monks in Orkney.
I am unable to reach any of these mass's.

Glasgow also has the two diocesan licit diocesan parishes that offer the traditional Mass (with one of them having now had two monsignors celebrating).  As well as other Glasgow priests that are sympathetic to the traditional Mass.  There's also the Mass offered in the Diocese of Motherwell.  And Una Voce Scotland's Masses organised throughout the central belt.  What diocese are you in?  I myself am in the Diocese of Paisley.

I know that it doesn't help since if you're too far away from Glasgow for the SSPX then the diocesan Masses wont be of much benefit.  But Scotland isn't exactly a barren waste land.

I pray you do not apostasies from the true Faith.  Look for some Eastern Catholics (incidentally, PM me.  I have a friend whose girlfriend is Romanian.  If you know which diocese in Romania you'll be staying in, I can ask her for directions).

Hi City Smurf
I am actually in the diocese of Paisley myself, Gourock and Greenock area ( waste land ) I dont drive thats the big issue, or I would be at the SSPX in Glasgow, Ive been before.
Well I dont think i'll have a problem finding a Eastern Catholic Church, I'm moveing to the capital, Bucharest. I already know a girl out there Orthodox, but she will take me to the Catholic Church and I have a feeling be easily converted herself.. Thanks my friend !!!
(03-14-2013, 05:04 PM)Chris87 Wrote: Hi City Smurf
I am actually in the diocese of Paisley myself, Gourock and Greenock area ( waste land ) I dont drive thats the big issue, or I would be at the SSPX in Glasgow, Ive been before.

Ah, I understand now. :(( I'm at Paisley town myself and like two seconds away from the M8 junction, but I haven't been regularly attending the Sacred Heart in Glasgow for over a year now because I don't drive either.  I have a friend that's from Greenock that drives to Latin Masses throughout Scotland.  I've jumped a lift with him a few times (Scotus here at the forum knows him as well, he's a good Catholic man).  I also know another fellow out your way that's been campaigning for the traditional Mass in Paisley Diocese.  I doubt it'd help much though because it'd probably be located in Paisley proper if it came about.  Or they could shunt us all off in the middle of nowhere like Lochwhinnoch.

Pray that our future bishop will be more accommodating that His Grace was.  If you're back in Scotland PM me ad I'll put you in touch with them if possible.

Quote:Well I dont think i'll have a problem finding a Eastern Catholic Church, I'm moveing to the capital, Bucharest. I already know a girl out there Orthodox, but she will take me to the Catholic Church and I have a feeling be easily converted herself.. Thanks my friend !!!

Well that's good!  When are you leaving?  If you get the chance, you may want to see if you can get down to Edinburgh at some point.  There is a Ukrainian Catholic Parish there and you may be able to experience the Divine Liturgy first hand before flying out to Bucharest if you have not already done so.  I'll keep you in my prayers that you see your way through this trying period.  And for the conversion of your friend!
(03-14-2013, 05:30 PM)City Smurf Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 05:04 PM)Chris87 Wrote: Hi City Smurf

Ah, I understand now. :(( I'm at Paisley town myself and like two seconds away from the M8 junction, but I haven't been regularly attending the Sacred Heart in Glasgow for over a year now because I don't drive either.  I have a friend that's from Greenock that drives to Latin Masses throughout Scotland.  I've jumped a lift with him a few times (Scotus here at the forum knows him as well, he's a good Catholic man).  I also know another fellow out your way that's been campaigning for the traditional Mass in Paisley Diocese.  I doubt it'd help much though because it'd probably be located in Paisley proper if it came about.  Or they could shunt us all off in the middle of nowhere like Lochwhinnoch.

Pray that our future bishop will be more accommodating that His Grace was.  If you're back in Scotland PM me ad I'll put you in touch with them if possible.

Quote:Well I dont think i'll have a problem finding a Eastern Catholic Church, I'm moveing to the capital, Bucharest. I already know a girl out there Orthodox, but she will take me to the Catholic Church and I have a feeling be easily converted herself.. Thanks my friend !!!

Well that's good!  When are you leaving?  If you get the chance, you may want to see if you can get down to Edinburgh at some point.  There is a Ukrainian Catholic Parish there and you may be able to experience the Divine Liturgy first hand before flying out to Bucharest if you have not already done so.  I'll keep you in my prayers that you see your way through this trying period.  And for the conversion of your friend!

Oh Thanks so much, Its been a great Grace even comeing back to these forums, maybe ill hang around for abit again. when I get the chance. Like some of the crazy characters on here.
I certainly will PM you when I get back to Scotland Citysmurf, never knew there was a fellow Trad in Greenock, Fought I was fightng a 1 man war, well im off to Bucharest  Tuesday mate, so wont get that opportuntity unfortunatly to get to the Ukrainian Catholic Parish.
I will certainly pray for yourself and the Trad movement in Scotland when I am in Romania, And Pray for me that I dont hit the bottle on my travels !!!! Mea Culpa
(03-14-2013, 06:07 AM)Chris87 Wrote: Hello Folks

I'm a Trad Catholic but havent attended a Trad Mass in well over a year. I am from Scotland and your more likely to find a sunny beach or a desert in Scotland than a Priest even a little open to saying the Trad Mass ( Some of you people really dont know how good you have it , even haveing any Traditional Mass avalible to you. I realize there is the SSpx in Glasgow, Fssp in Edinbrugh and The Monks in Orkney.
I am unable to reach any of these mass's .
This though has been going through my head for a few months, it has nothing to do with Pope Francis I must add ( Lets have Hope the Papacy will change him ), Although one of them videos posted left me shocked !!!!!
I am leaving to go to Romania in the next week, where I maybe will live at least for a yaer. I will be there over Good Friday, Easter Sunday etc
And I have a feeling I might be in Awe, And have a feeling I'm going to weigh up NO Church with Romanian Orthodox and there will be a 1st Round knockout.
I honestly to not know much about the Romanian Orthodox Church apart from photos and videos where Ive been blown away by there reverance.
And of course There Love for the God Bearer, The Virgin Mary.
Someone said last night how the hell did the older Trads deal with this for 40 years and see this going on ? Your better men and woman than myself.
I'm a recent Trad (3 years ) And I cant take this dliberate confusion anymore devils in the Church and the heartache.
Worse still, I want to have a wife and child in the future, Am I to bring them up in the NO Church, go to a NO School and my son end up in Prison ? ( I only say this as I went to a NO School and over 10% of my classmates are in Prison, dead or junkies )
Is it right on me to jump the sinking Ship ? Or should I sink with the Ship ?
I ask this because I'm loseing my soul and my faith.
You can see this by the last time I posted.

Thank you All, May God Bless you and Lets Pray For Our New Pope !!!!!

Ill give you a proposition. Read the early church fathers (St. Basil, St. John of Damascus, St. John Chrystostom, St. Isaac the Syrian etc...) and acquire a feel for  their mind (acquiring their mind will mean you are in Theosis or close i.e. youre a saint). Then read Saints of the of the modern church in the east and west. Read modern orthodox theologians from the east and west. Ask yourself which one conforms to the ancient church. Look at the keeping of the feast days and how they are celebrated. Look at the keeping of the Fasts and see who still does it as its always been proscribed.  If a saint from the olden days walked into a random Catholic Church, and then Orthodox Church, which one would he recognize as The Catholic Church?

It might be somewhat foreign to you in Liturgical aspects and even more so in praxis and noos. And yes there are modernist movements in the Orthodox Catholic Church as well. Those damn freemasons get around. It isnt as pronounced or visible as in the Western Churches, but its there and there is an attempt to slowly degrade the faith through political correctness, scientism and other modernist movements.  As someone said this is the age of the great apostasy or its definitely looking that way. You could go to an English speaking Orthodox Church to learn the liturgy or perhaps a "Byzantine"(they were Roman...) Catholic parish. In my opinion, the Russian (ROCOR, not OCA) church is unparalleled in its orthodoxy, and you may want to visit one after knowing the Liturgy a bit because they likely will be serving the Liturgy in Church Slavonic, and if you want to see Orthodoxy at its pinnacle, there shall you find it (monasteries might go for longer but generally it will be very similar in all other aspects such as piety and Liturgical precision and spirituality).

Yes it will be different than what you are used to, but if you go to a Church who takes the faith seriously, especially a ROCOR church than you wont care because it will be that awesome.
May Christ Almighty lead you to the truth in all things.

(03-14-2013, 06:29 PM)kshaft Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 06:07 AM)Chris87 Wrote: Hello Folks

I'm a Trad Catholic but havent attended a Trad Mass in well over a year. I am from Scotland and your more likely to find a sunny beach or a desert in Scotland than a Priest even a little open to saying the Trad Mass ( Some of you people really dont know how good you have it , even haveing any Traditional Mass avalible to you. I realize there is the SSpx in Glasgow, Fssp in Edinbrugh and The Monks in Orkney.
I am unable to reach any of these mass's .
This though has been going through my head for a few months, it has nothing to do with Pope Francis I must add ( Lets have Hope the Papacy will change him ), Although one of them videos posted left me shocked !!!!!
I am leaving to go to Romania in the next week, where I maybe will live at least for a yaer. I will be there over Good Friday, Easter Sunday etc
And I have a feeling I might be in Awe, And have a feeling I'm going to weigh up NO Church with Romanian Orthodox and there will be a 1st Round knockout.
I honestly to not know much about the Romanian Orthodox Church apart from photos and videos where Ive been blown away by there reverance.
And of course There Love for the God Bearer, The Virgin Mary.
Someone said last night how the hell did the older Trads deal with this for 40 years and see this going on ? Your better men and woman than myself.
I'm a recent Trad (3 years ) And I cant take this dliberate confusion anymore devils in the Church and the heartache.
Worse still, I want to have a wife and child in the future, Am I to bring them up in the NO Church, go to a NO School and my son end up in Prison ? ( I only say this as I went to a NO School and over 10% of my classmates are in Prison, dead or junkies )
Is it right on me to jump the sinking Ship ? Or should I sink with the Ship ?
I ask this because I'm loseing my soul and my faith.
You can see this by the last time I posted.

Thank you All, May God Bless you and Lets Pray For Our New Pope !!!!!

Ill give you a proposition. Read the early church fathers (St. Basil, St. John of Damascus, St. John Chrystostom, St. Isaac the Syrian etc...) and acquire a feel for  their mind (acquiring their mind will mean you are in Theosis or close i.e. youre a saint). Then read Saints of the of the modern church in the east and west. Read modern orthodox theologians from the east and west. Ask yourself which one conforms to the ancient church. Look at the keeping of the feast days and how they are celebrated. Look at the keeping of the Fasts and see who still does it as its always been proscribed.  If a saint from the olden days walked into a random Catholic Church, and then Orthodox Church, which one would he recognize as The Catholic Church?

It might be somewhat foreign to you in Liturgical aspects and even more so in praxis and noos. And yes there are modernist movements in the Orthodox Catholic Church as well. Those damn freemasons get around. It isnt as pronounced or visible as in the Western Churches, but its there and there is an attempt to slowly degrade the faith through political correctness, scientism and other modernist movements.  As someone said this is the age of the great apostasy or its definitely looking that way. You could go to an English speaking Orthodox Church to learn the liturgy or perhaps a "Byzantine"(they were Roman...) Catholic parish. In my opinion, the Russian (ROCOR, not OCA) church is unparalleled in its orthodoxy, and you may want to visit one after knowing the Liturgy a bit because they likely will be serving the Liturgy in Church Slavonic, and if you want to see Orthodoxy at its pinnacle, there shall you find it (monasteries might go for longer but generally it will be very similar in all other aspects such as piety and Liturgical precision and spirituality).

Yes it will be different than what you are used to, but if you go to a Church who takes the faith seriously, especially a ROCOR church than you wont care because it will be that awesome.
May Christ Almighty lead you to the truth in all things.

Brilliant Post !!!
(03-14-2013, 10:06 AM)Melkite Wrote: Many who do come to our parishes and try to turn it into a trad Latin chapel.  Completely unacceptable.  Eastern Catholics are usually welcoming of Latin refugees, but if you're going to worship with us, you're going to worship the way we do :)

For most of the time, I have been a member of an eastern parish since 1996 (the year I walked out of the NO).  There are a significant number of the parishioners at my parish who are Latin refugees.  Not that it hasn't happened, but I find most Trads who go east assimilate very well.  I/we know what it is like to have our liturgical sensativites trashed and as a result would never consider attemtping to trash eastern liturgical traditions.

Most of the people I know do not go through a formal transfer of rite.  I/we stay technically Latin Rite but are formal members of the eastern parish.  Seems to work out well, actually.

Melkite make a good point, however, about a Trad attempting to to an eastern parish into a Latin chapel.  Not cool.
Why would you voluntarily go from the One, True Church, founded by our Lord Jesus Christ, which subsists only in the One, Holy, Roman, Catholic, and Apostolic Church to a 'Church' which is heretical, schismatic and allows all sorts of sin? I converted the other way, for which I will give eternal thanks to our Lord and His Blessed Mother!
(03-14-2013, 09:45 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Why would you voluntarily go from the One, True Church, founded by our Lord Jesus Christ, which subsists only in the One, Holy, Roman, Catholic, and Apostolic Church to a 'Church' which is heretical, schismatic and allows all sorts of sin? I converted the other way, for which I will give eternal thanks to our Lord and His Blessed Mother!

You would if you became convinced that the One, True Church, founded by our Lord Jesus Christ, subsited in the Eastern Orthodox Church alone and that the Roman Catholic Church was heretical, schismatic and allowed all sorts of sin.  Don't be such a smarmy git!
(03-14-2013, 11:05 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 09:45 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Why would you voluntarily go from the One, True Church, founded by our Lord Jesus Christ, which subsists only in the One, Holy, Roman, Catholic, and Apostolic Church to a 'Church' which is heretical, schismatic and allows all sorts of sin? I converted the other way, for which I will give eternal thanks to our Lord and His Blessed Mother!

You would if you became convinced that the One, True Church, founded by our Lord Jesus Christ, subsited in the Eastern Orthodox Church alone and that the Roman Catholic Church was heretical, schismatic and allowed all sorts of sin.  Don't be such a smarmy git!

I'm a convert from the East. Don't be your normal arrogant Eastern arsehole, eh?