My opinion about Pope Francis
(03-15-2013, 12:38 PM)m.PR Wrote: By my count there are three actual Laitn Americans who have posted in this thread, and none of us were so impressed by the OP as the non-Latin Americans. Hmmm.

I suppose it's not surprising.  I remember one time someone with Mexican heritage was taught some things in school by an American teacher regarding Mexicans and their culture.  He accepted it as fact then tried to tell the same to some actual Mexicans that were born in Mexico.  The real Mexicans weren't impressed with the teachers knowledge of their culture.

The observation I've obtained from a Mexican is that they usually enjoy parties, dancing and happy music and they tend to follow the lead of their pastor.  After Vatican II when modernist priests started encouraging them to "inculturate", they quickly obliged.  Remember, during the time of the Christeros, they actively fought for the faith but subsequently obeyed their bishops and laid down their arms.  Their trust was misplaced though and they were rounded up by the government.

Unfortunately they also trusted their priests after Vatican II and were betrayed spiritually.
(03-15-2013, 01:39 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(03-15-2013, 12:38 PM)m.PR Wrote: By my count there are three actual Laitn Americans who have posted in this thread, and none of us were so impressed by the OP as the non-Latin Americans. Hmmm.

Ah!  We must be racists!  How righteous of you to point that out!  Man, we're jerks!

She made an observation....?

...so you screech racism, sarcasm, and other signs of ignorance?

but, who knows... what would m.PR know anyway?

I've found that if you really want to know how things are, you should sit back, watch teevee, and make your informed decisions that way.

No sense in actually taking the experience of a born and bred Catholic Latin American into account.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go inform my blonde, blue-eyed Cuban family that we're not white...I had no idea!

:pigeons:
(03-15-2013, 02:44 PM)libby Wrote:
(03-15-2013, 01:39 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:

Ah!  We must be racists!  How righteous of you to point that out!  Man, we're jerks!

She made an observation....?

...so you screech racism, sarcasm, and other signs of ignorance?

Lol! 

Anyway, I've been forming more of an opinion on Pope Francis.  I feel like we will have a pope who is basically Pope John Paul II, but without the regret. 

Key word here is "I feel."  I could be proven wrong on this.  Who can read the future, after all?

Also, this explosion of discussion with Traditional Catholics is powerfully demonstrative of the character of the Trad Caths at this point in time.  I feel like everyone's whole-hearted open-armed embrace of this man--and the shooing away of his past--shows a similar infatuation of Catholics who fawned over JPII for being a young fit pope who skied.   
(03-15-2013, 01:39 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: Ah!  We must be racists!  How righteous of you to point that out!  Man, we're jerks!

It was, like libby (glad to see her back!) said, an observation. And libby is the 4th Latin American to be unimpressed.

Though the more I think about it, the more I see Burdensome1 is basically right, though he paints with too broad a brush.

I've seen people here in Fisheaters praising Pope Francis for what he has said, and dismissing acts like refusing to wear red shoes (an ancient symbol of St. Peter's martyrdom) as "who needed that, anyway!" What they don't understand is that this is only the beginning. They don't see it because they are blinded by what he says. But I've seen it time and time again: a priest in my home country will give a good homily, an inspiring homily even, and lull me into a false sense of security, "maybe I can tolerate the NO at this parish after all." But then, bam: the homily went on rather long, so let's skip the Creed; let's invite children to the sanctuary; let's tell the people to join in reciting the Per ipsum; let's sing Happy Birthday at the end of Mass (before the blessing); let's all raise our hands and pray [Protestant-style] over couples who are celebrating their marriage anniversary.

I am sick of this crap, which is why I would drive at an inconvenient time to the twice-monthly TLM in another diocese, and why I can never be properly happy when I go back home.

Take the new-ish pastor of my home parish, too. He seems a personally holy, humble man, who gives homilies that evince a love of God and his people. In that sense, he was an improvement over his predecessor, who was a liberal who rarely mentioned God. But at least he had a sense of decorum, while this one: does not wear a chasuble (he celebrates Mass in alb and stole); got rid of the traditional vestments of the altar boys, replacing them with the bad polyester ones; got rid of the altar frontal; undid the traditional-looking renovation, putting in something that will look dated in a few years' time; and has amped up the liturgical abuse to absolute tacky land. But at the same time, he added to the schedule two weekday Masses and even set Confession times! (Which were later removed - presumably few to no people came to Confession.)

Pope Francis seems to be in the same mold, down to hostility to the TLM (which at least one of these two priests has shown). Traditionalists and anyone with a sense of decorum and aesthetic sensibility are in for a rough ride in this pontificate (edit: in the best case scenario! I fear we will see liturgical abuse make a comeback in papal liturgies, ancient customs abolished, and liturgical-artistic treasures be relegated to museums). It's just that English-speakers at least don't realize it yet.
(03-15-2013, 07:48 PM)m.PR Wrote:
(03-15-2013, 01:39 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: Ah!  We must be racists!  How righteous of you to point that out!  Man, we're jerks!

It was, like libby (glad to see her back!) said, an observation. And libby is the 4th Latin American to be unimpressed.

I am the 5th Hispanic to be unimpressed. 
Does being a partial Latino make my half unimpressed?  :grin:
(03-15-2013, 07:53 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(03-15-2013, 07:48 PM)m.PR Wrote:

I am the 5th Hispanic to be unimpressed. 

I honestly don't care if you are Latino.  Or Black.  Or whatever. 

I'm sure you don't care what I am.

If you like our current pope, then go dance and clap about it.  But I have a right to look at his background and have an opinion.

My father is from Spain and my wife's parents are from Mexico. We were not impressed.
(03-15-2013, 09:03 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: My father is from Spain and my wife's parents are from Mexico. We were not impressed.

Good to know all the Latinos and Spaniards are unimpressed with Burdensome1's observations. 

Ya got that, everyone?  Love this pope!  Love him!  Love him, damn you.  They do, so clearly you should.  How could you not adore his humility, you pieces of excrement?  You will go to hell if you do not fall in line and adore this pope!  Any criticism of his ways is racist and unimpressive!  He is humble!  HUMBLE!  And Latinos are not impressed with you assholes who dare question him!

By the way, did I mention Pope Francis is humble?
Don't be silly. Being unimpressed with the remarks does not mean that we think Pope Francis is without his problems (did you read my last post??). It only means that we think Burdensome1's portrayal does not correctly describe the Church in Latin America.