Poll: How do you feel about the new pope, Pope Francis?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll. Pope Francis: Impressed? Unimpressed?
btw, mpr-- 18 hours, really?  

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(03-15-2013, 10:03 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: btw, mpr-- 18 hours, really?  

18 days. I occasionally log out.

There is a piece of birthday cake in your profile. Happy Birthday?
Thank you.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(03-15-2013, 09:56 PM)m.PR Wrote: Anyway, point is the Church is not a democracy, so this poll makes me uncomfortable.

This is more like a gauge to see what is happening among us traditionalists.  Not really a poll of "would you vote him in or not?"

Why is everyone so afraid to make a judgement call on the pope as a man?  Why?  There've been terrible popes in the past who've bought the office.  Popes who had mistresses.  Popes who've arranged for murders.  Would y'all have the same reverence for those bad popes as well?  Does the office just free a man from any kind of judgement call?
(03-15-2013, 09:45 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: There's no option for "I"m uneasy about his past, but I am hopeful for the future."

That is called a triumph of hope over experience
I voted for number 3. Frankly, it's still too early to tell, at the moment the only thing we have to go in is one unsubstantiated internet rumor versus another unsubstantiated internet rumor. The only hard facts we have to go on is his actions in the couple of days he's been Pope and the - admittedly - disturbing video of the open air Mass for the kiddies of Buenos Aires a couple of years back.
(03-15-2013, 09:39 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: So, let's just do the simple thing here.  It occurs to me that we have an explosion of difference here within the land of Traditionalists.  So, let's see what the numbers will tell us in the next seven days. 

Here's your chance to represent your side.  Do it.

- - - - -

Myself, I simply put I am uneasy with him and I have reservations about his past.  But I'm sure you already knew that one.

## None of them fits. I'm uneasy about what I've heard about some aspects of his past, as I have not a clue what the truth is. OTOH,  I was impressed by a good deal in his opening words and acts.  The SSPX set the right tone, I think. I hope that he doesn't confuse personal simplicity with stripping down the Liturgy - it is ornate and remote from every day life for very good reasons.
I can't vote either because there isn't an option that fits my opinions. I'm not worried about his past. The Office can change a man. I think back to Blessed Pius IX who was considered an extreme liberal, almost a revolutionary, upon his election and ended up issuing the Syllabus of Errors.

What bothers me about Pope Francis is his extreme pride. Pride in how humble he is. 'Look at me! I'm so humble I won't wear the appropriate garb when I come out onto the balcony. Look at me! I ride the bus with the Cardinals. Look at me! I take an ordinary car to pay my hotel bill in person.' Now his false humility goes beyond himself. 'Look at me! I'm so humble I won't let the Cardinals wear their appropriate garb when I meet with them.'

C.S. Lewis dealt with this sort of false humility in the Screwtape Letters for those who have read them. I am extremely worried that his pride may undo much of the good that Papa Emeritus did. At the very least his false humility is denigrating the Petrine Office. As somebody pointed out in another thread, the garb, ceremonial, etc. are not to meant glorify the man holding the Office, they are to give appropriate dignity to that Office. He is continuing the denigration of the Petrine Office begun by his immediate predecessors in refusing Coronation, suppressing the Roman Nobility and their part in Papal ceremony, etc.

May God have mercy on his Church!

Are there any reports of him as a prideful man?  I understood that he's seen as truly humble by the people who know him.  I can very easily see how he might seem to be falsely humble though, but if what's suggested in a thread in the pig roast (Argentinian jokes) is true, then maybe what looks like false humility is just his Argentinian way of being humble!

He has a sense of humor, and to me, that's a mark of humility.
(03-16-2013, 12:26 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: What bothers me about Pope Francis is his extreme pride. Pride in how humble he is. 'Look at me! I'm so humble I won't wear the appropriate garb when I come out onto the balcony. Look at me! I ride the bus with the Cardinals. Look at me! I take an ordinary car to pay my hotel bill in person.' Now his false humility goes beyond himself. 'Look at me! I'm so humble I won't let the Cardinals wear their appropriate garb when I meet with them.'

Exactly. It rubbed me the wrong way, too, that he told his fellow countrymen not to go to his installation Mass, and give to charity instead (much like trendy celebrities do with gifts, only this is also like saying "don't go to my wedding, give to charity instead").

As Father Z cleverly said, "I hope he will bend to decorum over time. . ."

By the way, it looks like this was your 13,666th post. Portentous.