Bits of info about Pope Francis

Some info I've found about Cardinal Bergoglio, now Pope Francis:

"In 2007, just two days after Benedict XVI issued Summorum Pontificum, Cardinal Bergoglio was one of the first bishops in the world to respond by instituting a Tridentine mass in Buenos Aires."   

Two days after!!!  Obviously, he was paying attention to what was going on in Rome.
Someone 1776 said that there are three TLMs in Buenos Aires now.

"According to Ukrainian Catholic Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk, Bergoglio was mentored by Salesian Ukrainian Greek Catholic priest Stefan Czmil and knows the Byzantine liturgy well."

"In Germany he saw the painting Mary Untier of Knots in Augsburg and brought a copy of the painting to Argentina [in the mid-80s or late 80s] where it has become an important Marian devotion. It has since spread to Brazil; according to Regina Novaes of the Institute of Religious Studies in Rio de Janeiro, this devotion 'attracts people with small problems'. He had an image of Mary Untier of Knots inscribed on a chalice he presented to Pope Benedict XVI in 2005."

(The quote from Regina Novaes sounds like a put-down of people's problems, possibly it's just a poor translation of what she said?  Who goes to Mary for a really small problem?) 

Cardinal Bergoglio was the only serious competition to Cardinal Ratzinger at the Conclave after John Paul II's death, did well on the first ballot, though Ratzinger was pretty well ahead.  After the second ballot, on which he got fewer votes than on the first,  Cardinal Bergoglio asked the other Cardinals not to vote for him again.

That suggests to me that he was willing to accept the papacy if that's what the Holy Spirit wanted, as seemed possible on the first ballot.  But when he got fewer votes on the next ballot, he thought the Holy Spirit wanted Cardinal Ratzinger, asked the other Cardinals to stop voting for him so the Conclave could finish quickly. 

I've been quite surprised at the complaints online about the media saying he's Latin American.  People are saying he's not Latin American, he's European.  ???

An African said he's European, his parents being Italian.  Only if you're African, according to that person, are you "not European". 

It seems to me that Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, Indonesians, Samoans, Indians, Pakistanis, etc,. are also "not European" and that there's nothing wrong with being European, anyway.  Or English.  :grin:

But Pope Francis was born and raised in Argentina and, I finally found out, so was his mother, though she was of Italian descent.  His father was born in Italy but immigrated to Argentina.  So if your mother is born and raised in Latin America and you are as well, but your dad immigrated from Europe, you're European?  The things you learn reading Comments at the NY Times!  The article was okay, but some of the Comments made me think I was at Yahoo.

I pray Pope Francis will be a good Pope and Catholic enough to suit most people.  Viva il Papa!

(03-16-2013, 02:04 AM)Revixit Wrote: Some info I've found about Cardinal Bergoglio, now Pope Francis:

"In 2007, just two days after Benedict XVI issued Summorum Pontificum, Cardinal Bergoglio was one of the first bishops in the world to respond by instituting a Tridentine mass in Buenos Aires."     

Two days after!!!  Obviously, he was paying attention to what was going on in Rome.

"According to Ukrainian Catholic Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk, Bergoglio was mentored by Salesian Ukrainian Greek Catholic priest Stefan Czmil and knows the Byzantine liturgy well."

"In Germany he saw the painting Mary Untier of Knots in Augsburg and brought a copy of the painting to Argentina [in the mid-80s or late 80s] where it has become an important Marian devotion. It has since spread to Brazil; according to Regina Novaes of the Institute of Religious Studies in Rio de Janeiro, this devotion 'attracts people with small problems'. He had an image of Mary Untier of Knots inscribed on a chalice he presented to Pope Benedict XVI in 2005."

(The quote from Regina Novaes sounds like a put-down of people's problems, possibly it's just a poor translation of what she said?  Who goes to Mary for a really small problem?) 

Cardinal Bergoglio was the only serious competition to Cardinal Ratzinger at the Conclave after John Paul II's death, did well on the first ballot, though Ratzinger was pretty well ahead.  After the second ballot, on which he got fewer votes than on the first,  Cardinal Bergoglio asked the other Cardinals not to vote for him again.

That suggests to me that he was willing to accept the papacy if that's what the Holy Spirit wanted, as seemed possible on the first ballot.  But when he got fewer votes on the next ballot, he thought the Holy Spirit wanted Cardinal Ratzinger, asked the other Cardinals to stop voting for him so the Conclave could finish quickly. 

I've been quite surprised at the complaints online about the media saying he's Latin American.  People are saying he's not Latin American, he's European.   ???

An African said he's European, his parents being Italian.  Only if you're African, according to that person, are you "not European". 

It seems to me that Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, Indonesians, Samoans, Indians, Pakistanis, etc,. are also "not European" and that there's nothing wrong with being European, anyway.  Or English.   :grin:

But Pope Francis was born and raised in Argentina and, I finally found out, so was his mother, though she was of Italian descent.  His father was born in Italy but immigrated to Argentina.  So if your mother is born and raised in Latin America and you are as well, but your dad immigrated from Europe, you're European?  The things you learn reading Comments at the NY Times!  The article was okay, but some of the Comments made me think I was at Yahoo.

I pray Pope Francis will be a good Pope and Catholic enough to suit most people.  Viva il Papa!

I have hope for this pope regardless of what others say
Praying hard for Pope Francis :pray:
(03-16-2013, 02:04 AM)Revixit Wrote: Some info I've found about Cardinal Bergoglio, now Pope Francis:

I've been quite surprised at the complaints online about the media saying he's Latin American.  People are saying he's not Latin American, he's European.   ???

It seems to me that Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, Indonesians, Samoans, Indians, Pakistanis, etc,. are also "not European" and that there's nothing wrong with being European, anyway.  Or English.   :grin:

(03-16-2013, 02:04 AM)Revixit Wrote: Someone 1776 said that there are three TLMs in Buenos Aires now.

Yes, they were all started by trad priests the day he hopped on the bus to catch his flight to the Conclave.  :)

His history with the TLM is not great.  Have you been watching his Papal Masses?  Some of the Cardinals have been a little surprised at his deficiency in Latin and his lack of chant.  He is no lover of the TLM, in fact I fear for Summorum Pontificum and wonder if he'll go back to an Indult.  It's not exactly a good sign that he never PERMITTED a TLM in his diocese until 2007 made it unavoidable. 
Somebody will always complain.
(03-16-2013, 02:45 AM)Poche Wrote: Somebody will always complain.

Exactly, and you just did!
(03-16-2013, 02:48 AM)Old Lady Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 02:45 AM)Poche Wrote: Somebody will always complain.

Exactly, and you just did!
How?