Pope Francis in 2005: Defend the right to life even if they ‘have you killed’

From Lifesite:

Pope Francis in 2005: Defend the right to life even if they ‘have you killed’

by Patrick B. Craine Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:28 EST

ROME, March 15, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) - As Pope Francis makes headlines across the globe for his public gestures of humility, he is also turning heads for his strong preaching on both faith and the crucial moral issues of the day.

As a Cardinal, in addition to condemning abortion in the strongest terms, he also urged the public to be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to end this devastating atrocity.

In 2005, as activists urged Argentina to legalize abortion,[html] the future pontiff urged Catholics to defend the right to life even if they “deliver you to the courts” or “have you killed.” [/html]

At a Mass in Buenos Aires on Aug. 31st, 2005 in honor of St. Raymond Nonnatus (Raymond "the unborn"), who is revered as the holy protector of pregnant women, the then-Cardinal said that promoting life is “a road that is full of wolves.”

[html] “Perhaps for that reason they might bring us to the courts. Perhaps, for that reason, for caring for life, they might kill us,” he said. “We should think about the Christian martyrs. They killed them for preaching this Gospel of life, this Gospel that Jesus brought. But Jesus gives us the strength.” [/html]

The future pontiff also urged the faithful to “be astute” in promoting the Gospel of life. “Go forth! Don't be fools,” he said. “Remember, a Christian doesn't have the luxury of being foolish. … He can't give himself the luxury. He has to be clever, he has to be astute, to carry this out.”

The Cardinal also said: “When one listens to what Jesus says: Look, ‘I send you, I send you like sheep amongst the wolves,’ one has the desire to ask: ‘Lord, are you joking, or do you not have a better place to send us?’ Because what Jesus says is a little chilling: ‘if you proclaim my message, they are going to persecute you, they are going to slander you, they are going to set traps to deliver you to the courts and to have you killed. But you must continue forward. For that reason, take care, Jesus says, and be astute, be clever like the serpent but very simple like doves,’ joining the two things.”

Commenting on the future Pope's homily, Eric Scheidler of the Pro-Life Action League wrote, “What really touches me…is that not only does Pope Francis speak to the right to life of the unborn child, he acknowledges that fighting for their right to life often involves tremendous sacrifice, from being lied about to being physically attacked.”

“I have to confess, sometimes it seems church leaders, both Protestant and Catholic—despite unequivocal opposition to abortion—don’t really understand what it’s like fighting abortion ‘in the trenches,’” he continued. “It’s extremely encouraging to know that the new pope understands and sympathizes with the challenges we face fighting to save unborn babies from abortion.”

The pope has also compared abortion in cases of rape to the “death penalty” and joined in preparing a 2007 document by the bishops of Latin America that barred Communion for advocates of abortion and euthanasia in the interest of “Eucharistic coherence.”

In his 2011 book, Sobre el cielo y la tierra (On heaven and earth), he insisted, as translated by MercatorNet, “The right to life is the first among human rights. To abort a child is to kill someone who cannot defend himself.”
Thank you, Vox.

He is a true Catholic Pope.

Viva, il Papa!

I just saw at EWTN that he did a live interview earlier today, and it will replay later:

Live - Pope Francis Audience for Journalist and Media

Sat. Mar. 16 at 5:45 AM ET, Encore - 2 PM ET
Probably only fair to remind everyone (as I have so been reminded) that we're not supposed to pay attention to the stuff he did before, and it's not indicative of what he'll do now. 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Wow! This is what the world needs to hear right now, so may it continue with the eyes of the world on him. Thank you, Holy Father!!
(03-16-2013, 09:43 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Probably only fair to remind everyone (as I have so been reminded) that we're not supposed to pay attention to the stuff he did before, and it's not indicative of what he'll do now. 

Good catch!
(03-16-2013, 09:43 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Probably only fair to remind everyone (as I have so been reminded) that we're not supposed to pay attention to the stuff he did before, and it's not indicative of what he'll do now. 

I've never said any such thing. But I would say that what he's said or done before doesn't mean, necessarily, that that is what he would do or say as Pontiff. And I'd also say that people can change, and if you don't believe that, you have no business being a Catholic and proclaiming belief in things like grace. And I'd also say that as Pontiff, he likely has more guidance from the Holy Ghost than he did as Cardinal or Priest. And I'd also say that we need to respect his office while pointing out unsavory, disappointing, or out and out egregious things he may have done in his past. And I'd also say that when coming across things that at least seem to fit into that last category of stuff, he should be given the benefit of the doubt, like anyone else, and that pointing such things out shouldn't be done with that weird sort of glee that some trads exhibit when finding fault with post-conciliar Popes.
(03-16-2013, 08:41 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: The pope has also compared abortion in cases of rape to the “death penalty” ...

Sadly, Vox, his strong words on the evil of abortion are based, as were JP2's, on the heresy of an absolute right to life, which condemns the death penalty as well as abortion.  The whole "Culture of Life vs Culture of Death" thing is a novelty, and strongly suggests the evolutionary foundation which supports all of Modernism.

Don't get your hopes up, this man is going to keep disappointing.  We really need to just keep praying to Our Lady to bring this crisis to an end, as she surely will, and just as surely, the end of the crisis will be an answer to prayer.
[Image: 36281157_zps6b70c348.jpg]
If he is rigid on moral teaching, what good would it do if he concurrently said, or gave the impression by his actions, that the First Commandment did not matter or that the Catholic Church was not the sole beacon of truth and was really just one path of many to God?

If he does "Assisi IV", in word or deed, then the conclusion of most Catholics will be that contraception, abortion, euthanasia and divorce are choices left to their conscience.  After all, it makes no rational sense if other religions can do these things and still be saved, because those religions are also salvic, that those same actions will lead to the damnation of Catholics.

This is the heart of the issue.  Modernism is not rationally consistent, nor, very often can you take the thoughts and views of modernists to be the same as the words that come out of their mouth.