Pope Francis in 2005: Defend the right to life even if they ‘have you killed’
(03-16-2013, 09:43 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Probably only fair to remind everyone (as I have so been reminded) that we're not supposed to pay attention to the stuff he did before, and it's not indicative of what he'll do now. 

I've never said any such thing. But I would say that what he's said or done before doesn't mean, necessarily, that that is what he would do or say as Pontiff. And I'd also say that people can change, and if you don't believe that, you have no business being a Catholic and proclaiming belief in things like grace. And I'd also say that as Pontiff, he likely has more guidance from the Holy Ghost than he did as Cardinal or Priest. And I'd also say that we need to respect his office while pointing out unsavory, disappointing, or out and out egregious things he may have done in his past. And I'd also say that when coming across things that at least seem to fit into that last category of stuff, he should be given the benefit of the doubt, like anyone else, and that pointing such things out shouldn't be done with that weird sort of glee that some trads exhibit when finding fault with post-conciliar Popes.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope Francis in 2005: Defend the right to life even if they ‘have you killed’ - by VoxClamantis - 03-16-2013, 08:38 PM