Pope Francis in 2005: Defend the right to life even if they ‘have you killed’
(03-16-2013, 11:26 PM)Pheo Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 10:44 PM)ggreg Wrote: If he is rigid on moral teaching, what good would it do if he concurrently said, or gave the impression by his actions, that the First Commandment did not matter or that the Catholic Church was not the sole beacon of truth and was really just one path of many to God?

He quoted Léon Bloy in his first homily saying, "Anyone who does not pray to the Lord prays to the devil."  I hope he takes that quote to its logical conclusion.  It really doesn't leave much room for false ecumenism.

Unfortunately I am not so sure about this one. Isn't most "false ecumenism" between the Church and various protestant sects? They certainly pray to Christ (at least their conception of him). Honestly i aspect a fair deal of this Pope implying Protestantism is okay. Especially considering the statements on Anglicanism he has allegedly made in the past. Also I would not be surprised if we hear that old "God wouldn't revoke the Old covenant" canard again.

The ecumenical movement has always been more about pan-Christianity than it has about Catholic-Hindu relations.

Also, the Pope expressed great disagreement with Benedict's words that Muhammad was "evil and inhumane" so we will have to see on that front too.

Obviously I pray and hope that the grace of the office has made him much firmer on this front. But I would not be at all surprised by another Assisi.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope Francis in 2005: Defend the right to life even if they ‘have you killed’ - by DoktorDespot - 03-17-2013, 12:48 AM