Thoughts and worries
Time will tell all of course, and I do hope I'm wrong, but here it goes.

Something major has happened, and it is either very good and Holy or the worst diabolical triumph imaginable.  I suspect we will know by Easter, so little is gained by sorting it all out now. The die is cast.

1. Two mutually exclusive signals are being sent: Francis is either a take no prisoners alpha who is taking the authority of the papacy out for the ride of the Church's lifetime, and will totally recast Her as something new (for better or worse, I know not), OR he will simply reduce the papacy to a first among equals in a community of churches, which could very well include...well, everybody.  Anybody who worships Christ will, with a wave of the hand, be Catholic.  This was always the goal of course, except here it may not matter the creed.

Now the latter approach has some silver lining, for if the Pope has no authority outside of Rome then +Burke, for example, could simply declare the TLM the only liturgy for his Diocese.  And so on.  And the SSPX would be in too. Unless of course anybody truly Catholic was deliberately excluded in which case we will know easily whether good or evil is in play.

2. Francis is not humble.  At all.  I don't know what you people were watching on your TV but I saw an extrovert basking in comfort in the glory of the attention, imploring with ease the people to pray, and throwing tradition to the wing making the moment "his".  He throws the careful preparations of others - every single time - aside.  Vestments, cars, security, everything. He goes where he wants, says what he wants and does what he wants whenever he wants.  That paying your own bill thing? Yea, it sent a message all right.  And "humble" ain't it. 

Again though, in and of itself - so what?  Maybe he is using this style to accomplish divine ends.  Time - very little of it - will tell. But the word isn't "humble" people - it's "mercurial".

3. I have never believed in "wacky" "Catholic" prophesies.  But if one or more became fulfilled in the next few weeks - I would no longer be shocked. 

Strap in folks, 'cause you're not in Kansas anymore.....
Goodness, gracious! Whatever did ordinary Catholics do before the media? Before information was posted for the world to see in a twinkling of an eye? Maybe it was days, or weeks, or months before they even found out they had a new Pope. Maybe they just trusted in God and went about the business of trying to live a good Christian life.

Much has been said about this pope's humility. I think you are wrong in what you said. This man has been living a simple life, it seems, his whole clerical life. He doesn't seem to be changing now, whether we think he should or not. If he suddenly switched character, for the sake of the office, and took on the red shoes and tiara, he would be both demonized by some and canonized by others. I don't think the Pope can win. This one is not a European. He's is South American and has done things differently all his life.

I DO agree with your last line... We're not in Kansas anymore and we're in for a rough ride. Because I, personally, believe we're entering the final age. The red shoes and tiaras have outlived their usefulness. It's time to wear the crown of thorns.. Keeping our focus on Christ. It's not going to be comfortable for a variety of reasons. So I think we should support our Pope and focus on other things.
(03-16-2013, 11:03 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: This man has been living a simple life, it seems, his whole clerical life. He doesn't seem to be changing now, whether we think he should or not. If he suddenly switched character, for the sake of the office, and took on the red shoes and tiara, he would be both demonized by some and canonized by others. I don't think the Pope can win.
This, right here. Especially the last line. I don't think he can, either. For our Holy Father. :pray2:
I agree we are not in Kansas any more, perhaps Alpha Centauri. I have high hope for Pope Francis, but I've been crushed before, so I wait.

tim
(03-16-2013, 11:03 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Goodness, gracious! Whatever did ordinary Catholics do before the media? Before information was posted for the world to see in a twinkling of an eye? Maybe it was days, or weeks, or months before they even found out they had a new Pope. Maybe they just trusted in God and went about the business of trying to live a good Christian life.

Much has been said about this pope's humility. I think you are wrong in what you said.

Yeah, you jerk!  How dare you dispute the grace-filled humility of our beloved new Holy Father!  This man is absolutely great!  Just give him a chance!  Four years, and you’ll see!  You all just aren’t giving him a chance to instill hope, and change the Church for the better.  Patriarchy, Hierarchy, and all those stupid bells and whistles are flippant and useless.  This man will strip your ruined Church of all its stupid stuff and make it nice.  Because Pope Francis is humble!
(03-16-2013, 11:53 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 11:03 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Goodness, gracious! Whatever did ordinary Catholics do before the media? Before information was posted for the world to see in a twinkling of an eye? Maybe it was days, or weeks, or months before they even found out they had a new Pope. Maybe they just trusted in God and went about the business of trying to live a good Christian life.

Much has been said about this pope's humility. I think you are wrong in what you said.

Yeah, you jerk!  How dare you dispute the grace-filled humility of our beloved new Holy Father!  This man is absolutely great!  Just give him a chance!  Four years, and you’ll see!  You all just aren’t giving him a chance to instill hope, and change the Church for the better.  Patriarchy, Hierarchy, and all those stupid bells and whistles are flippant and useless.  This man will strip your ruined Church of all its stupid stuff and make it nice.  Because Pope Francis is humble!

YOU are the jerk.

Much has been said about this pope's humility. I think you are wrong in what you said. This man has been living a simple life, it seems, his whole clerical life. He doesn't seem to be changing now, whether we think he should or not. If he suddenly switched character, for the sake of the office, and took on the red shoes and tiara, he would be both demonized by some and canonized by others. I don't think the Pope can win. This one is not a European. He's is South American and has done things differently all his life.

I DO agree with your last line... We're not in Kansas anymore and we're in for a rough ride. Because I, personally, believe we're entering the final age. The red shoes and tiaras have outlived their usefulness. It's time to wear the crown of thorns.. Keeping our focus on Christ. It's not going to be comfortable for a variety of reasons. So I think we should support our Pope and focus on other things.

I think this is the point that many of us forget, and I have certainly done so during the past few days. The Latin-Americans simply celebrate and engage with Catholicism differently, for better or worse, and they're probably not going to change by virtue of our objections. I am sure the Pope is cognizant of the particular customs of the European congregation - and the traditions that have flourished in Europe over the centuries - but if he has been raised in a South American environment, where you'll find different idea of tradition and proper worship (as vulgar, irreverent and cacophonous as we may find it), and he has not explicity stated that the continent's ideas are contrary to the Faith, then he's certainly not going to feel an impetus to re-introduce the Tridentine Mass as the solely valid way of worshipping God.

I don't feel comfortable about it but we might have to accept it for this reason unless the Lord intervenes.
(03-16-2013, 11:59 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:

YOU are the jerk.

Now, now...I'm an asshole, not a jerk.  Big difference.

Great post. I think  you are right. We do forget what it was like without the media and internet giving us up to the minute, step by step of world news. I agree, too, we aren't in Kansas and it won't be easy. The pope needs our prayers and rosaries. Prayer works.
(03-16-2013, 12:02 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 11:59 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:

YOU are the jerk.

Now, now...I'm an asshole, not a jerk.  Big difference.

???  :blush: