Francis gives Apostolic Blessing "silently" so as not to offend
The irony here is that the Cardinals have all been on about "the New Evangelization"  and how Francis was THE man to lead it.

The New Evangelization, generally speaking,  is to be directed to the fallen away and unchurched.  The VERY people the new pope didn't want to "offend" at the Vatican...

Am I missing something?
(03-16-2013, 11:38 AM)DoktorDespot Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 11:33 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 11:32 AM)DoktorDespot Wrote: The hermeneutic of denial begins....

What the heck is that? Sounds like a painful disease.

Well under John Paul II we had the "hermeneutic of rupture".

That sounds even worse.
(03-16-2013, 11:49 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 11:44 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 11:35 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote: My first thought was O no!  Dont be silent!. My next thought was I wonder what St Francis or St Alphonsus Liguori,  St Anthony, St Vincent Ferrer, esp St Vincent would have done. Sounds like he was trying to be "pc". Its early however, give him time. This merely shows he needs our prayers and rosaries.

Yes, this as almost as horrible as when Pope Leo XIII invited the Head of the Church of England to the Vatican, rolled out the red carpet, praised him, and never once mentioned he was a Protestant. 

Like I said, when I see something like this, I would love to see how the above-mentioned saints, ot St Pio would have handled this.
Honestly, I think this is one of the biggest reasons our disappointment with the church hierarchy is so great, and I include myself in here. We hold our most recent popes to the standard of the saints and to the polished image of our former popes, the ones most of us weren't alive to know about at the time and which google didn't have their ever present eye upon. We get the dusted off, polished versions of these good men. And I do think they were good men, I don't think it's completely real. Do we really know everything our former popes did and said, both before their pontificate and after? Maybe, but I really don't think so. We get the hero version. I'm not denying that modernism is a huge problem influencing and infecting us today, most of us, including posters on Catholic forums and all levels of the church in one way or another, like Popes Leo XIII and Pius X already pointed out.  But seriously, if we are waiting for a pope to be a textbook version of St Padre Pio you will always end up disappointed. I'm afraid even so if St Pio himself came back and was elected pope. Of course that doesn't keep me from praying for the same...
(03-16-2013, 12:01 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:

That sounds even worse.
It makes my back hurt.

That sounds even worse.

The meaning of people adopting "the hermeneutic of denial" is this: that many trads will try to explain away Francis/Bergoglio's unorthodox deeds and words, past and present, by denying he was responsible for them, or that he had some hidden "orthodox" meaning, etc.

(03-16-2013, 12:05 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: Honestly, I think this is one of the biggest reasons our disappointment with the church hierarchy is so great, and I include myself in here. We hold our most recent popes to the standard of the saints and to the polished image of our former popes, the ones most of us weren't alive to know about at the time and which google didn't have their ever present eye upon. We get the dusted off, polished versions of these good men. And I do think they were good men, I don't think it's completely real. Do we really know everything our former popes did and said, both before their pontificate and after? Maybe, but I really don't think so. We get the hero version. I'm not denying that modernism is a huge problem influencing and infecting us today, most of us, including posters on Catholic forums and all levels of the church in one way or another, like Popes Leo XIII and Pius X already pointed out.  But seriously, if we are waiting for a pope to be a textbook version of St Padre Pio you will always end up disappointed. I'm afraid even so if St Pio himself came back and was elected pope. Of course that doesn't keep me from praying for the same...

All we want is a Catholic pope who believes in the Catholic Church.
(03-16-2013, 12:28 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 12:05 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: Honestly, I think this is one of the biggest reasons our disappointment with the church hierarchy is so great, and I include myself in here. We hold our most recent popes to the standard of the saints and to the polished image of our former popes, the ones most of us weren't alive to know about at the time and which google didn't have their ever present eye upon. We get the dusted off, polished versions of these good men. And I do think they were good men, I don't think it's completely real. Do we really know everything our former popes did and said, both before their pontificate and after? Maybe, but I really don't think so. We get the hero version. I'm not denying that modernism is a huge problem influencing and infecting us today, most of us, including posters on Catholic forums and all levels of the church in one way or another, like Popes Leo XIII and Pius X already pointed out.  But seriously, if we are waiting for a pope to be a textbook version of St Padre Pio you will always end up disappointed. I'm afraid even so if St Pio himself came back and was elected pope. Of course that doesn't keep me from praying for the same...

All we want is a Catholic pope who believes in the Catholic Church.
Fair enough. I'm just trying to find ways to not fall into despair every time I open my browser. One way is to remember that St Peter denied Christ three times before heading out to the crowds on Pentecost.

Hey, whatever it takes to get me through the night...

That sounds even worse.

It is! You can read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernia

I've heard that it is pretty painful to have a hernia rupture. Luckily I was born towards the ends of JP2's pontificate.
(03-16-2013, 12:10 PM)FatherCekada Wrote: The meaning of people adopting "the hermeneutic of denial" is this: that many trads will try to explain away Francis/Bergoglio's unorthodox deeds and words, past and present, by denying he was responsible for them, or that he had some hidden "orthodox" meaning, etc.

That happened within half an hour of his first appearance on the loggia, Father.

Many people here are "Benedictine" trads. They came to Tradition (or quasi-tradition) during Pope Benedict's reign with absolutely no frame of reference for anything the preceded it.  The denial that we've heard these past few days is reminiscent of the decades long attempt by the EWTN neocats to protect John Paul II from any responsibility for the myriad disasters of his long reign. (My favorite was the widely held belief among that crowd that evil conspirators foisted altar girls upon the Church when JPII was hospitalized)

Maybe the papacy will change Francis -- and maybe frogs will sprout wings and fly -- but I've seen this movie before and not only doesn't it end well, but the entire plot is one, long agonizing trial.
Father, we are all in great distress here.  Please tell us...what must we do to save our souls and those of our loved ones? What do we do? How to we respond?

No sarcasm here...all serious.