So much for all that collegial back slapping...
(03-16-2013, 08:50 PM)Allan Wrote: There was a time when Christians actually welcomed martyrdom.  Really.

Yeah, I'm guessing it was around the same time when women welcomed children into this world.
Funny that.  Christians who have large babies and raise them in the faith make priests who subsequently populate the Church with Bishops, Cardinals and Popes, offering salvation to all the others. 

Good thing for them we're here.
(03-16-2013, 07:10 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 07:08 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: The people who are led astray by this stuff are people who want to be led astray.  I rejoice to see Our Lady of Fatima's prophesies coming true. 

What prophesies are coming true?

Our Lady of LaSalette "Rome will lose the Faith and become the seat of the anti-Christ."

(03-16-2013, 10:01 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 07:10 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 07:08 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: The people who are led astray by this stuff are people who want to be led astray.  I rejoice to see Our Lady of Fatima's prophesies coming true. 

What prophesies are coming true?

Our Lady of LaSalette "Rome will lose the Faith and become the seat of the anti-Christ."

And yet that was never an approved part of Our Lady of LaSalettes's apparition. I don't understand why people keep throwing it around.
(03-17-2013, 02:27 AM)GloriaPatri Wrote: And yet that was never an approved part of Our Lady of LaSalettes's apparition. I don't understand why people keep throwing it around.

Because some so-called 'Trads' have an agenda to push. To push it, they will ignore the plain words of our Lord in Scripture, 'Thou art Peter', The gates of hell', etc. and the the infallible dogmatic teaching of the Church, e.g. Pastor aeternus.
(03-16-2013, 06:14 PM)Papist Wrote: I hope this story is inaccurate. I just don't want another Paul VI.

The story is inaccurate in so far as the media (and seemingly then Cardinal Bergoglio) have misunderstood what Pope Benedict was actually saying. This was a very academic lecture. You read the entire talk online (which is really worthwhile), to see the context in which he said these things. Later on, the Pope later also said this about that lecture:

Quote:At this time, I wish also to add that I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims. These in fact were a quotation from a medieval text, which do not in any way express my personal thought. Yesterday, the Cardinal Secretary of State published a statement in this regard in which he explained the true meaning of my words. I hope that this serves to appease hearts and to clarify the true meaning of my address, which in its totality was and is an invitation to frank and sincere dialogue, with great mutual respect.

To those who don't want to bother reading the whole lecture, here is the sentence in which the passage cited in the article cited in the OP occurs:

Quote:Without descending to details, such as the difference in treatment accorded to those who have the "Book" and the "infidels", he addresses his interlocutor with a startling brusqueness, a brusqueness that we find unacceptable, on the central question about the relationship between religion and violence in general, saying: "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.” (emphasis mine)