Former SSPX seminarian constant companion of Pope Francis
(03-17-2013, 06:00 PM)James02 Wrote: Well, we probably now know who +Fellay is referring to when he talks about getting information from someone close to the Pope.  The plot thickens.

If he stays around for this Pontificate, then my hope-o-meter will definitely be higher.

From what I read immediately after the resignation, it sounded like the Archbishop would be leaving the Vatican to work full time on the needs of Benedict. It seems for now he serving both Francis and Benedict, but I doubt that'll last unless the Archbishop and Francis really hit it off or Francis decides to keep him out of reverence for his closeness to Benedict. 

He's apparently not well liked by the curia, but he's apparently competent as it was he that discovered who the leaker was in the VatiLeaks episode. For the past few years that have been stories that he was going to get the sack, but instead each time he got a promotion. Maybe he'll pull it off again. 

That said, I wouldn't hold out much hope that he is going to make a big difference. Did he really have a whole lot of impact on Benedict? 
(03-17-2013, 05:04 PM)Kopp Wrote: [Image: VT-EN-ART-23308-gerog_francis2.jpg]
(03-17-2013, 05:40 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: the careful listener will note that Bishop Fellay thinks highly of him. 

He still celebrates the TLM daily as well (per Fellay). 
(03-17-2013, 06:13 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: he's apparently competent as it was he that discovered who the leaker was in the VatiLeaks episode. For the past few years that have been stories that he was going to get the sack, but instead each time he got a promotion.

That man has some good genes  :LOL:

Honestly, I am amazed. No idea Pope Benedict had a trad so close to him all this time.
(03-17-2013, 08:20 PM)m.PR Wrote: Honestly, I am amazed. No idea Pope Benedict had a trad so close to him all this time.

I posted a thread about him >:(

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...=3456538.0
Interesting, Someone. I wonder if he was one of the only clerics in Rome that Pope Benedict trusted.
(03-17-2013, 08:44 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 08:20 PM)m.PR Wrote: Honestly, I am amazed. No idea Pope Benedict had a trad so close to him all this time.

I posted a thread about him >:(

Don't know how I missed that! Thanks.

I see Crusading Philologist beat me to posting the "Gorgeous Georg" story. I really wish it hadn't been Versace that was inspired by Msgr. Gänswein, their clothes are typically so tacky.
(03-17-2013, 05:40 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: The archbishop is holdover from Pope Benedict.

But, yes he attended Econe, and the careful listener will note that Bishop Fellay thinks highly of him. 

Some folks are claiming that the reports that he attended Econe are a media fabrication. Any independent verification?
(03-17-2013, 10:45 PM)Kopp Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 05:40 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: The archbishop is holdover from Pope Benedict.

But, yes he attended Econe, and the careful listener will note that Bishop Fellay thinks highly of him. 

Some folks are claiming that the reports that he attended Econe are a media fabrication. Any independent verification?

It's been widely reported he attended Econe, and no one at the SSPX or the Vatican has denied it. This is a little detail that I think the Archbishop would call and correct if it was wrong. 

Also, given some comments that Fellay has made (and the SSPX webpage devoted to Ganswain) I am inclined to think the reports are true.