Pope Francis changes Holy Thursday plans to celebrate Mass in prison
That's it. I'm NOT paying Peter's Pence this time around !
Quote:I am becoming convinced that the same old "wolves" in the curia must be encouraging Pope Francis in his breaks with tradition

Nope.  Not necessary.  He has been liberal in the grand liberal tradition of Latin America his entire career.  No need to complicate the issue with conspiracies.
(03-21-2013, 03:13 PM)Burdensome1 Wrote: It's all possible, you know.  Vatican III, Deacons hearing confessions, married priests, all of it.
But could the Pope make it valid?
Fr Zuhlsdorf Wrote:"Look.  I understand what Francis is doing here.  Fine.  But in making such a dramatic change, I fear that he runs the risk of making these change all about him, rather than some other message he wants to convey.  The same goes for all the other changes he is making.  The papacy isn’t just his own thing to do with what it pleaseth him to do.  The changes can become distractions, especially the way the media will handle them."

(03-21-2013, 03:22 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: The more time, the Pope spends destroying this or that old tradition, or deciding not to wear some vestment, the less time he spends actually addressing pressing issues in the hierarchy. In doing so they would also make it seem like they were on his side, and so retain their posts. Plus, the outside world and its clamor for reform will be satisfied by these superficial gestures, while the real issues in the church go completely unaddressed.

These are exactly the points I made regarding his 'humility' but I was accused of 'pope bashing'. Be careful!
The sad thing about this, and I am sure there are others, this will all trickle down to the diocese and parish level.

Just like the "reform of the reform" and the TLM was implemented during Benedict XVI Pontificate, we will start to see a drastic downturn in the offering of TLM's and a return to '70's style liturgy and Masses, during Francis Pontificate.

Many pastors will now wash women's feet on Holy Thursday and sanctuaries and altars will be stripped in "honor" of the "preferential option for the poor".
(03-21-2013, 04:11 PM)Old Salt Wrote: Many pastors will now wash women's feet on Holy Thursday and sanctuaries and altars will be stripped in "honor" of the "preferential option for the poor".

I thought you were supposed to strip the altar on Holy Thursday?
(03-21-2013, 04:23 PM)Chestertonian Wrote:
(03-21-2013, 04:11 PM)Old Salt Wrote: Many pastors will now wash women's feet on Holy Thursday and sanctuaries and altars will be stripped in "honor" of the "preferential option for the poor".

I thought you were supposed to strip the altar on Holy Thursday?

I think OldSalt means stripped of their ornamentation year round. :)
Can't imagine more post 1970's churches  being more "stripped down" than they already are.  You'd probably have to take down the felt banners and remove the awful neo-Cubist stained glass windows.  On second thought, that might be an improvement.
Quote:But could the Pope make it valid?

Yes.
Pope visits inmates in Prison!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz8x4BbX32g&sns=em
[/video]