Newly Diagnosed with Diabetis
Johana I never knew that about the gas part. Beans yes ! Thanks ! As an aside My aunt Rosa and he sister Segna fed their families that lentil minestra lots of time during the depression and my cousins made it till they passed. So even when it's routine and in the diet too often it doesn't lose it's appeal. If you're not diabetic adding pasta and the bacon or pancetta or mezzina makes it delicious. Oh and grated pecorino romano or parmiggiano takes it up a notch.

tim
(03-28-2013, 10:38 AM)Johanna Wrote: In my experience, people on food stamps actually have more per person to spend on food than I spend to feed my family, and I am an uber-picky health nut who buys a lot of organic food.

I would recommend that you:

- Stop buying any processed food at all. Most are carb heavy and bad for diabetics anyway, and crackers, cereals and lean pockets cost more per pound than meat.

- Stop buying foods that have no nutritional value.  Like coke 0.  This will be hard because artificial sweetener is addictive (in one study, rats addicted to both aspartame and cocaine and given the choice between them, chose aspartame).  You should do it anyway though, because though these foods seem cheap, you aren't actually getting anything of any value to your body, so you are really just throwing your money away. Buy for nutritional value, not just something that will take up space in your stomach and your wallet.  Most people find that they eat less when the food is higher quality, too.

- Don't shop for just one meal, or just one day, shop for a whole week at least at a time.  A whole chicken costs way less per serving than slim jims or other individual meals. 

- Plan out your meals ahead of time.  As a diabetic, it's important to have healthy snacks available throughout the day to keep your blood sugar stable.  Planning is key, put time for it on your calendar.  If you have a meal planned you won't be tempted to run to the store and buy something quick and expensive because you are hungry. 

- Making everything from scratch saves you money.  Make soup.  It's easy, cheap and healthy.  Make a pot of soup on Sunday and you have healthy lunches for the whole week.  Don't want to eat the same thing everyday?  Freeze half of the pot in individual servings. 

My top cheep healthy foods:
eggs
dry beans/lentils (I have a good lentil soup recipe, if you want it)
yams/sweet potatoes
whole chickens (a low cost meat - use the bones to make broth which is very good for you, and effectively stretches all sorts of other foods)
spaghetti squash (a great pasta substitute for diabetics)

I hope that helps.

This is good advice. I'd also add that you get active at least three times a week.
(03-28-2013, 12:48 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: This is good advice. I'd also add that you get active at least three times a week.

Good point.  And actually most international diabetes guidelines that I've learned about recommend 30-minutes of moderate exercise five times a week.
Thanks for all of the advice.  You make it sound simple.  I have never tried lentils so it will be a new experience for me.  I have a budget f 40 dollars a week.  I know salads would be good.  Too.
Plenty of good advice in this thread. Regarding artificial sweeteners, I'd like to add that they may trigger the same insulin response as sugar. As Johanna wrote, they'd better be avoided.
I am looking at all of these diabetic diets on line and it seems they are for over weight people.  I am 5'10" and weigh 170 lbs.  The diets they describe are proportionate for a 3 year old.
(03-29-2013, 01:45 AM)kzarah Wrote: I am looking at all of these diabetic diets on line and it seems they are for over weight people.  I am 5'10" and weigh 170 lbs.  The diets they describe are proportionate for a 3 year old.

Are you in good shape? Active?

Most of the gluttons I know aren't fat or overweight but are "skinny fat." Skinny but not in shape at all.

On the other hand, there are many people who would classify as being "overweight," but are quite active and in shape.
(03-28-2013, 12:28 PM)Tim Wrote: Johana I never knew that about the gas part. Beans yes ! Thanks ! As an aside My aunt Rosa and he sister Segna fed their families that lentil minestra lots of time during the depression and my cousins made it till they passed. So even when it's routine and in the diet too often it doesn't lose it's appeal. If you're not diabetic adding pasta and the bacon or pancetta or mezzina makes it delicious. Oh and grated pecorino romano or parmiggiano takes it up a notch.

tim

You're welcome.

I agree lentils are great, one of my sons likes them so much that he requested them for his birthday one year.
Thanks all of you for your input and prayers.  I saw my doctor yesterday and she says that she believe that we can reverse the condition and I will no longer be diabetic.  Yes I will have to loose weight.  She said I should go down to 150 lbs from 175 lbs.  So I am going to do it.  I have not had a bottle of coke in weeks now.  I use splenda instead of sugar but I don't really use sugar that much anyway.  I a eating who grain bread when I do have bread.  I am not saying it is going to be an easy road but I so do not want to be diabetic. 
PAX
Kick the whole grain bread. Ca-rap! Read Wheat Belly, by Dr William Davis. You'll loose your weight and not be hungry. You can fast with no prob for over 24 hours. Etc. Get it from your local library. Seriously.