Newly Diagnosed with Diabetis
(04-13-2013, 04:48 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Kick the whole grain bread. Ca-rap! Read Wheat Belly, by Dr William Davis. You'll loose your weight and not be hungry. You can fast with no prob for over 24 hours. Etc. Get it from your local library. Seriously.

My wife read that book and gave up wheat for a few months.  She said that she didn't feel "amazing" like many wheat-free/paleo type people report.  Not sure if it's because she was already at a healthy weight (after being anorexic for 15 years) and had an organic / whole foods based diet to begin with.  I am about the opposite--my body rejects all food and I am on a feeding tube with formula that was created in a laboratory.

I also wonder how a Catholic can be anti-wheat in light of the Eucharist.  If wheat is such a terrible thing to eat, then why would Our Lord want to transform it into His body and blood?  Surely there are some people that cannot digest wheat (like Celiacs/gluten intolerance) just like there are people who cannot have wine for medical reasons.  This does not make wine intrinsically bad, and it does not make wheat intrinsically "ca-rap."

I know that the Wheat Belly fans usually say that wheat as we know it today is nothing like the wheat used in ancient civilizations and in the time of Christ.  Following that logic, wouldn't the wafers used today be incorrect form?
(04-13-2013, 05:36 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: My wife read that book and gave up wheat for a few months.  She said that she didn't feel "amazing" like many wheat-free/paleo type people report.  Not sure if it's because she was already at a healthy weight (after being anorexic for 15 years) and had an organic / whole foods based diet to begin with.  I am about the opposite--my body rejects all food and I am on a feeding tube with formula that was created in a laboratory.

I also wonder how a Catholic can be anti-wheat in light of the Eucharist.  If wheat is such a terrible thing to eat, then why would Our Lord want to transform it into His body and blood?  Surely there are some people that cannot digest wheat (like Celiacs/gluten intolerance) just like there are people who cannot have wine for medical reasons.  This does not make wine intrinsically bad, and it does not make wheat intrinsically "ca-rap."

I know that the Wheat Belly fans usually say that wheat as we know it today is nothing like the wheat used in ancient civilizations and in the time of Christ.  Following that logic, wouldn't the wafers used today be incorrect form?

I'm not a doctor, but what they're doing to food can't be good. Dr Davis makes a good case that the hybridized wheat that the whole world grows and eats is a big culprit in a lot of problems. He points to the HUGE blood sugar spike it produces. More than a candy bar. Think about it. Eating conventional whole wheat bread is worse for you than eating a candy bar. So it has nothing to do with the nature of wheat, or confecting the Eucharist. It has to do with wheat that has been changed into a industrialized mass market consumer product, which like many things of this ilk is killing us.

By the way, I think the problems are complex, with many environmental factors involved. It's not just wheat. Other potential contributors: high carb, GMO, cafo meat, pesticides, hormones, cloning, stress, screen obsessions, couch potato culture, lack of face-to-face interaction, etc. etc.

(04-13-2013, 06:10 PM)Scriptorium Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 05:36 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: My wife read that book and gave up wheat for a few months.  She said that she didn't feel "amazing" like many wheat-free/paleo type people report.  Not sure if it's because she was already at a healthy weight (after being anorexic for 15 years) and had an organic / whole foods based diet to begin with.  I am about the opposite--my body rejects all food and I am on a feeding tube with formula that was created in a laboratory.

I'm not a doctor, but what they're doing to food can't be good. Dr Davis makes a good case that the hybridized wheat that the whole world grows and eats is a big culprit in a lot of problems. He points to the HUGE blood sugar spike it produces. More than a candy bar. Think about it. Eating conventional whole wheat bread is worse for you than eating a candy bar. So it has nothing to do with the nature of wheat, or confecting the Eucharist. It has to do with wheat that has been changed into a industrialized mass market consumer product, which like many things of this ilk is killing us.

By the way, I think the problems are complex, with many environmental factors involved. It's not just wheat. Other potential contributors: high carb, GMO, cafo meat, pesticides, hormones, cloning, stress, screen obsessions, couch potato culture, lack of face-to-face interaction, etc. etc.

Back when I was able to eat I would occasionally eat stuff on whole wheat bread.  Not much because I'm type 1 diabetic but sometimes you just want a hamburger.  I would say that blood sugar wise it didn't have nearly the same effect on me as say, a candy bar or a even a bite of some cake.  I'd say it's pretty similar with my son who is type 1 as well.  White bread and refined flour were always a bad idea, but I'd also say the same thing about any other starch.  Everyone is different and maybe some people are more sensitive I guess. 

One of my friends is seriously nuts about baking bread and she swears by this small farm in North Carolina where she special orders all her flour.  I think it is from sprouted grains and it is all organic and GMO free.  SHe also makes her own flour.
I just saw this and was sorry to read of kzarah's woes. All these suggestions of lentils reminded me that I have used them on Fridays and other meatless days in lentil burgers and "meat" loaf. They tasted amazing and were very filling, and all the ingredients were cheap and nutritious -- eggs, chopped apples and onions, oatmeal, tomato paste, herbs and worcestershire sauce for flavoring. I hope you're feeling better soon, my friend.
Load /index

100% whole wheat bread -- 32.7 / 71.
High protein bar, candy-like, soy and milk base  -- 34.9 / 56.

http://dietgrail.com/gid/

Or compare here:

http://ketopia.com/a-slice-of-whole-grai...-snickers/

The point is not that candy bars are great for you, but that whole wheat bread is really no better than a candy bar. And yet we think it is a health food. A huge number of people are diabetic and/or overweight. Somethings wrong in our food equation, and it isn't candy bars.
(04-14-2013, 12:26 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: http://ketopia.com/a-slice-of-whole-grai...-snickers/

The point is not that candy bars are great for you, but that whole wheat bread is really no better than a candy bar. And yet we think it is a health food. A huge number of people are diabetic and/or overweight. Somethings wrong in our food equation, and it isn't candy bars.

A comment on that site states the following (with which the author of that post agrees):

Quote:While I’m in agreement with the overall views of this site/blog, I am soooo tired of this whole topic in particular. I declare this horse dead.

GI is measured by having a test subject fast overnight, measuring fasted blood glucose, and then feeding them ONE thing and one thing only. Although this provides some interesting data, nobody, NOBODY eats this way in the real world.

You’d eat that bread with butter, peanut butter, mayo or something on it, and most likely as part of an entire meal that might include eggs, or meat, or who knows what. Now you’ve eaten protein, fat, fiber, etc and the entire meal has a completely different glycemic index/load than the score of any one item. Judging individual foods by their GI score is completely useless. Arrrgh. OK rant over.