Pope Francis' Holy Thursday Mass: 3 minute homily, women's feet washed
(03-28-2013, 03:44 PM)Nic Wrote: So let's see, instead of washing the feet of 12 Catholic males he washes the feet of 12 non-Catholic females...

Doesn't this sound diabolical to anyone else but me?  This is inversion, rather perversion, which is right up Satan's ally.

Each day I take one step closer to sedevacantism, or at least living under the axiom that "a doubtful pope is no pope."

If it makes you feel any better, it was only two girls and not all non-Catholics (haven't seen any exact breakdowns in this regard). Not according to the rubrics, but not the complete inversion.
Any word on who got the Eucharist. Every where I read there where muslims there and people with no faith. Kinda worried.
Was he wearing Pope clothes that made it official? (I don't want to watch that video again.) There's got to be a loophole, like having his fingers crossed, no stole, something that made it unofficial; just a kind act to these kids.

I was happy they were reportedly happy to learn that someone important cared about them. But that was a story I found to be a lie, since Papa BXVI -E has been to this exact same penitentiary within the last 5 years  :eyeroll: I'm not strong enough to see if the Vatican press released that veiled lie, or the regular press.

Is it possible that we're wrong for not changing with the times, and the H.S. really wants us to follow the Popes' road [to perdition]?

I'm going to need another Confession this afternoon, before Mass, and esp before someone tries to wash my foot.  :'((
Wow. You all have had Benedict for too long. What HK said on his blog, and what Pheo said earlier are very important. Some of you are really acting like fools. First, unless you are a bishop or priest, traditionally speaking, you have no idea what any pope is up to. Your business is with your own parish priest. Second, what the pope is doing here is not at all in line with anything like "reform of the reform" but is simply the undoing of the reform of the reform. You have to face this squarely: not all popes are good popes. Many are bad, some were evil, some were just plain dumb. It is a fact of history, so stop imagining that every pope we get is going to  be the great Catholic restorer. You have to be the great Catholic restorer in your own spot in the world. Don't get me wrong. I am not heartless. I get it. When I heard the name pronounces on the balcony, I was in total shock. And none of what he has done so far has been out of character. The Catholic Church can and will go through brighter and darker times. This one was set up from the start to be a darker one. But many things can happen here. For one thing, I have an honest-to-God gut feeling that we are looking at a very short papacy. There is nothing rational or inspirational about this feeling. But I do hope I am right. Also, there MUST be quite a few cardinals, young cardinals, watching this spectacle and wondering what Benedict would think of all this. And I am CERTAIN that the same malaise we feel when watching this is going through some of the hearts of these cardinals, especially the young ones. As St. Thomas taught, evil has a way of undoing itself. The clearer it is, the more wrong it seems. So I say let him have his day. I bet you it will lead to better popes in the future. The old guard won in the last conclave. The younger guys wimped out. But in the end, no man can live a day longer than the day fixed by God Almighty. And if Pope Francis does 1000 stupid things, he may not yet have done one single thing against the deposit of faith. This is what I expect. The day he wants to mess with the deposit of faith, I am certain it will be his last day on earth. And history is replete with examples of God's intervention when it comes to popes especially. Someone else has a post about how St. Pius X became pope through a veto by a secular power. That is one instructive example. Keep the Faith in God in His  Church. Ignore asinine antics from popes and bishops. Our Lord told the people to do what the Pharisees said but not what they do. We must do the same. God bless.
(03-28-2013, 04:22 PM)maldon Wrote: Wow. You all have had Benedict for too long. What HK said on his blog, and what Pheo said earlier are very important. Some of you are really acting like fools. First, unless you are a bishop or priest, traditionally speaking, you have no idea what any pope is up to. Your business is with your own parish priest. Second, what the pope is doing here is not at all in line with anything like "reform of the reform" but is simply the undoing of the reform of the reform. You have to face this squarely: not all popes are good popes. Many are bad, some were evil, some were just plain dumb. It is a fact of history, so stop imagining that every pope we get is going to  be the great Catholic restorer. You have to be the great Catholic restorer in your own spot in the world. Don't get me wrong. I am not heartless. I get it. When I heard the name pronounces on the balcony, I was in total shock. And none of what he has done so far has been out of character. The Catholic Church can and will go through brighter and darker times. This one was set up from the start to be a darker one. But many things can happen here. For one thing, I have an honest-to-God gut feeling that we are looking at a very short papacy. There is nothing rational or inspirational about this feeling. But I do hope I am right. Also, there MUST be quite a few cardinals, young cardinals, watching this spectacle and wondering what Benedict would think of all this. And I am CERTAIN that the same malaise we feel when watching this is going through some of the hearts of these cardinals, especially the young ones. As St. Thomas taught, evil has a way of undoing itself. The clearer it is, the more wrong it seems. So I say let him have his day. I bet you it will lead to better popes in the future. The old guard won in the last conclave. The younger guys wimped out. But in the end, no man can live a day longer than the day fixed by God Almighty. And if Pope Francis does 1000 stupid things, he may not yet have done one single thing against the deposit of faith. This is what I expect. The day he wants to mess with the deposit of faith, I am certain it will be his last day on earth. And history is replete with examples of God's intervention when it comes to popes especially. Someone else has a post about how St. Pius X became pope through a veto by a secular power. That is one instructive example. Keep the Faith in God in His  Church. Ignore asinine antics from popes and bishops. Our Lord told the people to do what the Pharisees said but not what they do. We must do the same. God bless.

Can I add an AMEN!
By the way, the current pope is so humble.
(03-28-2013, 04:39 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: By the way, the current pope is so humble.

I noticed, eh? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

At the very least, its getting interesting.... :safe:
Well, that sure didn't take long.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/28...f=religion

Pope Francis Washing Women's Feet In Holy Thursday Ritual Raises Questions

The ritual washing of feet is a gesture of humility based on the belief that Jesus Christ washed the feet of his apostles on the evening of their final meal together before his arrest, crucifixion and death.

Vatican tradition has it that each year on Good Thursday the pope washes the feet of twelve priests of different ages and nationalities in a solemn ceremony held in Rome's St John Lateran's Basilica or in St Peter's Basilica.

The priests are seen as representing the apostles.

Though retired pontiff Benedict XVI revised the ritual in 2007 by selecting 12 lay men from Rome for the ceremony, the new Pope Francis shook up Catholic tradition Thursday by choosing to honour not only prisoners, but women as well as men.

Catholic traditionalists believe that all of Jesus's disciples were male and the historic decision to wash the feet of two girls -- one Italian Catholic and one of Serbian Muslim origin -- is likely to create friction in some circles.

The gesture appears to open to interpretation the importance of the gender of the apostles.

Calls from groups within the Church for women to be ordained have been rebutted on the basis that Jesus's apostles were men.

There is no Catholic dogma which explicitly forbids the participation of women, though a circular letter from 1988 which explains the importance of the tradition refers specifically to the "washing of the feet of chosen men."

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio -- as Pope Francis was previously known -- had already washed and kissed the feet of women in past ceremonies in Argentinian jails, hospitals and old people's homes, including pregnant mothers and AIDS patients.

Other Catholic priests and bishops have also included women in the feet washing although this is considered highly unusual.

The role of women in the Church has become an increasingly hot topic, with campaigners and rebel clerics calling for a review of the dogma which bans female priests -- particularly as male priest numbers are dropping in the West.

The practice of washing feet appears to stem from ancient hospitality customs, whereby hosts would provide servants to clean the feet of newly arrived guests.

There are some variations to the ritual as performed in churches across the world today.

In some cases whole congregations participate in the washing, or take it in turns to wash each other's feet.
"Good Thursday"?