Catholics nailed to crosses in Philippines
[Image: 0129281750085.jpg]

"Our soft age may be shocked to learn that there are poor unlettered laymen in the Philippine barrios who flog themselves to blood every Good Friday in honor of Christ's Passion. Fanaticism perhaps. Perhaps not. Our Lord told of a certain type of people that He would would vomit out of His mouth."
-- Fr. Sebastian Buckley OCD, Carmelite Missionary in the Philippines 1957
Doesn't getting a nail pounded through your hand ruin your ability to grasp and other functions?
These mortifications (called salibatbat) are usually undertaken out of a vow (panata). Usually, penitents have themselves crucified for a term of 15 years, either in thanksgiving for a blessing received (e.g., surviving a fall from great heights, being cured from a major illness), or in supplication. Curiously, devotional crucifixions only started some 60 years ago, although the flagellations have been around since the 18th, century, having been originally introduced by Franciscan friars. They have always been acephalous and done despite Church approval, although Church authorities have been more sympathetic to them in recent years (albeit to the devotees, not necessarily the practices themselves). Personally I don't think it's that excessive; life is hard in the Philippines, and the practice of the faith here tends to mirror that. These devotions are actually quite tame compared to similar observances in other Asian countries, e.g., Thaipusam.
(03-30-2013, 03:45 AM)Matamoros Wrote: These mortifications (called salibatbat) are usually undertaken out of a vow (panata).

Matamoros, I love your screen name and your avatar. Santiago! Death to the Moors!
I have lived in the Philippines since 2009.  There are no "crucifixions" here except at one time there was guy strung up on a telephone pole with his hands tied by ropes on the makeshift crossbeam, no nails though.  First time this happened here where I live in central Philippines, the Visayas.  Most of those "crucified" believe they are cleansed and have attained pardon, so after this fateful day life goes on -- the Catholic faith is never put into practice.

Though once 95 % Catholic, the Philippines is now down to about 80%, the Evangelical invasion has made inroads in converting the Filipinos to an easier way to "salvation."  Same situation as in Central and South America, Brazil mostly.

There are true faithful traditional Catholics, and there also those who mix superstition with their faith.  The former is fast fading away.  Western culture has taken a great hold especially among the young.  The UN and USA are pouring money to have Reproductive Health a part of life.  These people never give up.  This is the 14th year that has so far met with failure, the bishops still have a say in religious matters..  Also, the homosexual community is fast growing but they are not radicals and most keep to themselves and are there for the amusement and entertainment of those who see these homos as antics of society.  So far they are not a threat.  But we have to wait and see.

There is a vast void where the TLM is to be found.  I have to travel to the next island (Cebu) where it is offered, however irregularly.  But I must fulfill my Sunday/holy day of obligation.  At least altar boy girls are banned.  My only consolation is the Holy Eucharist.

“Our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee, O Lord.” -- Saint Augustine

(03-30-2013, 12:51 AM)Farmer88 Wrote: The Passion play in of itself isn't bad at all, from my understanding. It's when you literally get nailed to the cross when it's going too far, from my understanding.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11531a.htm

Seems like, at least according to New Advent, the ecclesiastical authorities started cracking down when people got carried away with the plays, in numerous different ways. A relatively basic Passion play, technically, doesn't seem like it would have caused problems.

I think you're right, a Passion play is fine, actual nails during the play are not.