Help! Need Good Friday Rubrical Expertise
We had three priests present last night - but when it was time to bring in the Host from the altar of repose, they sent the deacon out after it.

Is that valid practice?  I seem to remember the celebrant always proceeding out and back?
We had the Deacon go out and get it too. 
Both the TLM and NO rubrics specify that this is the Deacon's function. The celebrating Priest is allowed to do it if there is no Deacon present.
(03-30-2013, 08:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: Both the TLM and NO rubrics specify that this is the Deacon's function. The celebrating Priest is allowed to do it if there is no Deacon present.

Thanks.  No deacons at our last parish, that must be why I remember the priest doing it.
I find it very bizarre that the people on here are very concerned about things like the rubrics when the Pope and many Bishops ignore them.
In the Novus Ordo Good Friday Universal Prayer they also pray that the jews "continue to grow in faithfulness to the 'covenant'"... just so you know what you're praying for in there...
(03-30-2013, 08:11 PM)salus Wrote: the Pope and many Bishops ignore them.

Which would be why "the people on here" are concerned
Before the "restoration" of the liturgies of Holy Week by Pius XII, it was indeed the priest who would go to the Altar of Repose to get the Chalice with the Sacred Host. At that time it was only the priest who would receive Holy Communion on Good Friday. In 1952 "ad experimentum", and from 1956 onwards, the new liturgy for Holy Week was to be used. Since then it is the deacon who goes to the Altar of Repose to get the ciborium with Hosts. At the same time the Pope gave permission to distribute Communion to all the faithful on Good Friday.

If you read "The Liturgical Year" by Dom Prosper Gueranger, you will see that the EF Holy Week as it is today is a watered-down version of the real Holy Week in older EF missals (before 1956).
[Image: aj.jpg] St. Arnold Janssen SVD, pray for us!
(03-30-2013, 09:31 PM)Jesusbrea Wrote: In the Novus Ordo Good Friday Universal Prayer they also pray that the jews "continue to grow in faithfulness to the 'covenant'"... just so you know what you're praying for in there...

I used to attend the NO and that was never the case it was always the prayer that the scales would fall from their eyes like St Paul and would turn to Christ.