Urbi et Orbi for Easter. Benedict vs Francis
(03-31-2013, 12:46 PM)DrBombay Wrote: What's the over under on how long before he ditches the Papal whites and starts wearing a burlap sack or something equally humble?  I'm thinking 6 months.

I have wondered why he wore them in the first place. Aren't the whites a holdover from a Dominican pope? I am a bit surprised, honestly, that he didn't choose plain black, though maybe he found it interesting to be a Jesuit pope with a Franciscan name who is dressed as a Dominican.
(03-31-2013, 01:22 PM)cothrige Wrote:
(03-31-2013, 12:46 PM)DrBombay Wrote: What's the over under on how long before he ditches the Papal whites and starts wearing a burlap sack or something equally humble?  I'm thinking 6 months.

I have wondered why he wore them in the first place. Aren't the whites a holdover from a Dominican pope? I am a bit surprised, honestly, that he didn't choose plain black, though maybe he found it interesting to be a Jesuit pope with a Franciscan name who is dressed as a Dominican.
I always wondered what the pontiffs wore before St Pius donned his Dominican habit? Do any paintings exist of pope's in everyday clothing prior to the all white?
Marini does not look too happy.
Comparing Popes is not good business. Benedict nor Francis would approve.
The notion that the Pope's white cassock is a holdover from a Dominican pontiff (St. Pius V) is a myth. Popes had been wearing a white habit for centuries before him. Look up portraits of his predecessors and you will see them in white.
(04-02-2013, 10:17 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: Comparing Popes is not good business. Benedict nor Francis would approve.

I normally wouldn't do this, but being that Pope Francis has done a 180 in regards to liturgy and papal vestments in less then a month, it's hard not to compare and contrast.
(03-31-2013, 11:55 AM)Allan Wrote: Honest question...has this Pope ever actually acknowledged that he is Pope, or referred to himself by a Papal title other than Bishop of Rome?  I truly would like to know the details and the facts.  I want to understand how he sees his current role.  Does he accept that he holds the keys? Does he believe the keys exist?

He seems to refer to the Petrine ministry or to himself as the successor of St. Peter occasionally. 

In addition, he referred to himself as the Vicar of Christ in his letter to the superior general of the Jesuits..  He discussed the meaning of his title "Pontiff" when addressing the Diplomatic Corps.

He also appointed a new Archbishop of Buenos Aires, which implies he believes he has jurisdiction outside of Rome.

Interesting enough, "Papa" (Pope)  is the least formal title of the Bishop of Rome, and yet it is the one he hasn't used as far as I know.
(04-02-2013, 10:17 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: Comparing Popes is not good business. Benedict nor Francis would approve.

You are 100% right. Pity that The Tablet thinks otherwise:

http://pro-tridentina-malta.blogspot.com...paign.html

But as long as "It is committed to the teaching of the Second Vatican Council."...  ???