The Grocery Store Blacklist: 12 Food Companies to Avoid (and 95 Sneaky Aliases)
Pretty good article I found on the subject of GMO and big corporate foods. An eye-opener in many ways.

Eat up!! Grin

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/04/the-...-food.html

The Grocery Store Blacklist: 12 Food Companies to Avoid (and 95 Sneaky Aliases)
Daisy Luther

A genetically modified rose by any other name may smell sweet, but it could still have frankenthorns that might independently detach themselves and lop off your finger while you’re smelling it.  That’s not unlike a trip to the grocery store these days. There are a lot of ugly surprises in pretty, charmingly-named packages.

It seems like no matter how hard you try to avoid them, GMOs and toxic foods creep into your life.

Take for example, the earthily-packaged “natural” foods that are showcased in your grocery store aisles. They cost twice as much, have obscure brand names, and tout their health benefits and natural sources.  You can almost smell the freshly tilled soil when you pick up the box.

Unfortunately, this is nothing more than corporate sleight-of-hand.

Many of the products that seem so good are actually just subsidiaries of the companies that were most complicit in blocking GMO labeling, aided and abetted by everyone’s favorite purveyor of death, Monsanto. (Monsanto, incidentally, donated $7,100,500.00 to the fight against the labeling of GMO-containing products.)

Don’t forget that Monsanto is now above the law due to the Monsanto Protection Act, a traitorous rider that Senator Roy Blunt managed to attach to a bill that was subsequently signed into law by President Obama. (you know, that guy in the White House, who made the labeling of GMOs one of his 2007 campaign promises?)

I wish I could make a comprehensive list, but there are more stealthily labeled toxins on the shelves every single day.  It all boils down to a these big companies that own nearly all of the foods sold in the United States. Some of the quietly owned subsidiaries may surprise you.  Included is the amount that the company (and its subsidiaries) donated to defeat California Proposition 37 which would have required GMO labeling.

Not every item on this list contains genetically modified ingredients. The list is based on the duplicitous marketing of the companies.  More consumers are trying to make healthy choices at the grocery stores, but it’s difficult when companies push their toxic wares and dress them up as health food. Young people in particular fall victim to these schemes.  You have to give a kid credit for purchasing something called “Vitamin Water” over a soda pop, and it’s infuriating that the kid, trying to make a good choice, has been tricked into the purchase by deceitful advertising and marketing.
Some of the products listed, may in fact be exactly what they are portrayed to be, but I choose not to financially support the corporations behind them.

Protect your health and help starve the beast by avoiding products distributed by these companies and their subsidiaries:

Campbell’s - $250,000.00

Healthy Request
    Wolfgang Puck Soups
    Pace Foods
    Pepperidge Farms
    V-8

Cargill, Inc - $202,229.36

Truvia Natural Sweetener
    Shady Brooks Farms
    Diamond Crystal Salt
    Liza
    Nature Fresh
    Peter’s Chocolate
    Wilbur Chocolate
    Honeysuckle White
    Rumba Meats
    Good Nature

Coca Cola -  $1,164,400.00

Vitamin Water
    Smart Water
    Dasani
    Nestea
    Minute Maid
    Honest Tea
    Odwalla
    Vitaminenergy

Con-Agra - $1,076,700.00

Orville Redenbacher’s Organic
    Hunt’s Organic
    Lightlife
    Alexia
    Healthy Choice
    Hebrew National

Dean Foods -  $253,950.00

Horizon
    Silk
    White Wave

General Mills - $908,200.00

Nature Valley
    Fiber One
    Cheerios
    Cascadian Farm
    Muir Glen
    Lärabar
    Gold Medal Organic
    Food Should Taste Good

Heinz/Hains Celestial - $500,000.00
(Hains is actually owned by Heinz, Phillip Morris, Monsanto, Citigroup, Exxon-Mobil, Wal-Mart and Lockheed Martin)

Earth’s Best
    Spectrum Organics
    Garden of Eatin’
    Casbah
    Rice Dream
    Soy Dream
    WestSoy
    TofuTown
    MaraNatha
    Mountain Sun
    Walnut Acres
    Fruiti di Bosco
    Health Valley
    Bearitos
    Bread Shop
    Celestial Seasonings

Kellogg’s - $632,500.00

Kashi
    Muslix
    Nutrigrain
    Bear Naked
    Morningstar Farms
    Gardenburger

Kraft - $551,148.25

Snapple
    ReaLemon
    Triscuit
    SnackWell’s
    South Beach
    Boca
    Back to Nature
    Nabisco

Nestle -   $1,169,400.00

Pure Life
    Pelligrino
    Perrier
    Poland Spring
    Gerber
    California Pizza Kitchen
    Tribe Mediterranean
    Sweet Leaf Tea

PepsiCo $2,249,661.61

Miss Vickie’s
    Sun Chips
    Aquafina
    SoBe
    Harvest Crunch
    Dole
    Ocean Spray
    Tropicana
    Miranda
    Tazo
    Quaker
    Naked Juice
    Mother’s

Unilever – $467,000 (source)

Salada
    Knorr
    Ben & Jerry’s

A little bit of good news…

It isn’t all bad news.  There are a few companies you can still count on – keep in mind that corporate mergers take place every day.  When businesses change hands, there is no obligation to notify the public.  One such cautionary tale took place with the company Dean’s, which acquired Horizon foods.  They quietly phased out the use of organic products without making any changes to the label and used non-organic milk produced under factory farm conditions.  As well, they dropped the quality of their organic soy and began purchasing cheaper harvests from Asia.  Meanwhile, unwitting retailers had no idea that the company had ceased producing the items organically, and continued to promote the products as they had previous to the acquisition.

Right now, these are some labels to look for.

7th Generation
    Amy’s Kitchens
    Apple and Eve
    Applegate
    Azumaya
    Blue Diamond
    Bob’s Red Mill
    Bossa Nova
    Cal Organics
    Cedarlane
    Cell-nique
    Choice Organic Teas
    Clif Bar/ Nectar Fruit
    Coombs Family Farmers
    Cosorzio All Natural
    Country Choice
    Crystal Geyser Alpine Water
    Doctor Kracker
    Dr. McDougall’s
    Dr. Praeger
    Eat Raw
    Echo Farms
    EcoMeal
    Eddie’s Pasta
    Eden Foods (The only company NOT
    using harmful plastic in the lining of their
    cans as bonding agent!)
    Edward and Sons
    Endangered Species Chocolate
    Ener-G
    EnvironKiz
    Fantastic Foods.
    Giving Nature
    Golden Temple
    Go Naturally
    Greenway Farms
    Harvest Bay
    Hawthorne Valley
    Ian’s Natural Foods
    Koyo Organics
    Lakewood
    Lesser Evil
    Let’s Do…Organics
    LifeStream
    Living Harvest
    Lundberg Family
    Madhava
    Murray’s Chicken
    Nasoya
    Native Forest
    Natural by Nature
    Nature Factor
    Nature’s Path
    Newman’s Own Organic
    Organic Prarie
    Organic Valley
    Pacific Naturals
    Pamela’s
    Peace Cereal
    Petalumi
    Rapunzel
    Real Foods
    Republic of Teas
    Road’s End Organics
    San J
    Sensible Foods
    Seven Star Farms
    Sunergia
    Tasty Bite Indian
    Terra Nostra
    Texmati
    Theo chocolates
    Think Organic
    Turtle Mountain Toferky
    Vermont Mystic Pie
    Vitasoy
    Vita Spelt
    Vivani Chocolate
    Wizard’s Saucery
    Woodstock Farms
    XOXOXO chocolate
    Yogi Tea
    Zija
    Zoe’s Granola

Another way to avoid unscrupulous food producers is through an App called Buycott.  If you happen to have an iPhone, this App can be used to check a product that you see in the stores to see what corporate links exist.  You can find it HERE. (Thank you to Miranda for this link!) If I had a cellphone, I would definitely download this tool.

Of course, the best ways to avoid GMOs and toxic additives are to avoid packaged foods altogether.

Daisy Luther is a freelance writer and editor. Her website, The Organic Prepper, where this article first appeared, offers information on healthy prepping, including premium nutritional choices, general wellness and non-tech solutions. You can follow Daisy on Facebook and Twitter, and you can email her at daisy@theorganicprepper.ca
Hebrew National has to be kosher. That's why I buy their franks... This list is shocking!
Lynne

+JMJ+

"Certainly, you must be informed about modern errors because preaching the truth involves preaching about distancing oneself from error; but do not make the negative, secondary aspect into the most important! Your first aim is not to fight against error but to know the truth. Your central concern should be study, your sanctification, silence, meditation, and the exercise of charity." - Archbishop Lefebvre
(04-12-2013, 12:31 PM)catquilt Wrote: Hebrew National has to be kosher. That's why I buy their franks... This list is shocking!

I do (did) too, until I found they put soy (I am allergic) fillers in their product...check the ingredient panel. I thought as you seem to, that being Kosher franks would be better. Apparently not so much, but they do taste good!
Me, too ! I buy any Kosher dogs on sale Vienna, Siani 48 or who knows, and I count on the pareve.  This list makes me wonder if I should live like Ghandi and sip sip water only. Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the pool. Yikes !

tim
And the problem with genetically modified ingredients is what exactly?  Huh? Huh? Huh?
We won't know until we grow third eyes or a tiny hand from out navel. Besides these seeds are a reaction to banning DDT. That fiasco has killed millions and millions by malaria but saved 11 birds. I hear wild animals will not eat them.

tim
Quote:Dean Foods -  $253,950.00

Horizon
    Silk
    White Wave

Then Silk must operate pretty independently from Dean Foods.  They're part of the Non-GMO Project and support GMO labeling groups.  I don't buy soy milk for other reasons, but they have a whole page that seems to go against what Dean Foods did here.
(04-12-2013, 02:11 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(04-12-2013, 12:31 PM)catquilt Wrote: Hebrew National has to be kosher. That's why I buy their franks... This list is shocking!

I do (did) too, until I found they put soy (I am allergic) fillers in their product...check the ingredient panel. I thought as you seem to, that being Kosher franks would be better. Apparently not so much, but they do taste good!

This is horribly upsetting. I passionately love Hebrew National dogs. They are the best. Who else sells a good kosher dog that isn't compromised??

They are the only product on this list that I ever buy besides Triscuits (my favorite cracker) and Celestial Seasonings herbal teas.
With myself and the twins being celiacs, and Janet the Fair quite possibly being gluten intolerant, we buy what we must. Most of these guys aren't on our list, thank goodness. But we do and have bought Hebrew Nationals many times, as one of our three brands of dogs. Con-Agra, likewise makes a number of gluten free products we must buy.
(04-12-2013, 09:57 PM)DrBombay Wrote: And the problem with genetically modified ingredients is what exactly?  Huh? Huh? Huh?

Here's just ONE article on the subject (of which there are MANY others) for ya Doc:

http://rt.com/usa/toxic-study-gmo-corn-900/

Study reveals GMO corn to be highly toxic

Published time: April 15, 2013 18:53

A leaked study examining genetically-modified corn reveals that the lab-made alternative to organic crops contains a startling level of toxic chemicals.

An anti-GMO website has posted the results of an education-based consulting company’s comparison of corn types, and the results reveal that genetically modified foods may be more hazardous than once thought.

The study, the 2012 Corn Comparison Report by Profit Pro, was published recently on the website for Moms Across America March to Label GMOs, a group that says they wish to “raise awareness and support Moms with solutions to eat GMO Free as we demand GMO labeling locally and nationally simultaneously.” They are plotting nationwide protests scheduled for later this year.

The report, writes the website’s Zen Honeycutt, was provided by a representative for De Dell Seed Company, an Ontario-based farm that’s touted as being Canadian only non-GMO corn seed company.

“The claims that ‘There is no difference between GMO corn and NON Gmo corn’ are false,” says Honeycutt, who adds she was “floored” after reading the study.

According to the analysis, GMO corn tested by Profit Pro contains a number of elements absent from traditional cord, including chlorides, formaldehyde and glyphosate. While those elements don’t appear naturally in corn, they were present in GMO samples to the tune of 60 ppm, 200pm and 13 ppm, respectively.

Honecutt says that the United States Environmental Protection Agency (FDA) mandates that the level of glyphosate in American drinking water not exceed 0.7 ppm and adds that organ damage in some animals has been linked to glyphosate exposure exceeding 0.1 ppm.

“Glyphosate is a strong organic phosphate chelator that immobilizes positively charged minerals such as manganese, cobalt, iron, zinc [and] copper,” Dr. Don Huber attested during a separate GMO study recently released, adding that those elements “are essential for normal physiological functions in soils, plants and animals.”

“Glyphosate draws out the vital nutrients of living things and GMO corn is covered with it,” adds Honeycutt, who notes that the nutritional benefits rampant in natural corn are almost entirely removed from lab-made seeds: in the samples used during the study, non-GMO corn is alleged to have 437-times the amount of calcium in genetically modified versions, and 56- and 7-times the level of magnesium and manganese, respectively.

These studies come on the heels of a recent decision on Capitol Hill to approve an annual agriculture appropriations bill, even though a provision within the act contained a rider that frees GMO corporations such as the multi-billion-dollar Monsanto Company from liability. The so-called “Monsanto Protection Act,” written by a lawmaker that has lobbied for the agra-giant, says biotech companies won’t need federal approval to test and plant GMO-crops, even if health risks are unknown.

“The provision would strip federal courts of the authority to halt the sale and planting of an illegal, potentially hazardous GE crop while the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) assesses those potential hazards,” reads a letter to the House of Representatives that was delivered to Congress last month with the signatures of dozens of food businesses and retailers, as well as interest groups and agencies representing family farmers. “Further, it would compel USDA to allow continued planting of that same crop upon request, even if in the course of its assessment the Department finds that it poses previously unrecognized risks.”