"There are those who wish to turn back the clock...this is called stubbornness."
http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/04/...en1-683419

Pope Francis said the Holy Spirit pushes people and the Church forward but we resist this and do not want to change. His remarks came during his homily at the Mass on Tuesday morning celebrated at the Santa Marta residence which was dedicated to Benedict XVI in honour of his 86th birthday. Susy Hodges reports:   

Text follows:
Pope Francis dedicated Tuesday's mass to Benedict XVI 16th who turned 86 on this date. “May the Love be with him, comfort him and gave him much consolation,” he said.

Pope Francis’ homily at the mass was centred on the theme of the Holy Spirit and our resistance to it. It took its inspiration from the first reading of the day which was the story of the martyrdom of St. Stephen who described his accusers as stubborn people who were always resisting the Holy Spirit.

Put frankly, the Pope continued, “the Holy Spirit upsets us because it moves us, it makes us walk, it pushes the Church forward.” He said that we wish “to calm down the Holy Spirit, we want to tame it and this is wrong.” Pope Francis said “that’s because the Holy Spirit is the strength of God, it’s what gives us the strength to go forward” but many find this upsetting and prefer the comfort of the familiar.

Nowadays, he went on, “everybody seems happy about the presence of the Holy Spirit but it’s not really the case and there is still that temptation to resist it.” The Pope said one example of this resistance was the Second Vatican council which he called “a beautiful work of the Holy Spirit.” But 50 years later, “have we done everything the Holy Spirit was asking us to do during the Council,” he asked. The answer is “No,” said Pope Francis. “We celebrate this anniversary, we put up a monument but we don’t want it to upset us. We don’t want to change and what’s more there are those who wish to turn the clock back.” This, he went on, “is called stubbornness and wanting to tame the Holy Spirit.”

The Pope said the same thing happens in our personal life. “The Spirit pushes us to take a more evangelical path but we resist this.” He concluded his homily by urging those present not to resist the pull of the Holy Spirit. “Submit to the Holy Spirit,” he said, “which comes from within us and makes go forward along the path of holiness.”
Well, the traditional movement does have a fair share of old farts who want to turn the clock back to 1950.  That's never going to happen, so needless to say these were some miserable people.  Although I identify as a traditional Catholic, I don't think we should just re-enact "the way things used to be."  I was born in 1981 so it isn't about recreating my childhood.  That is not to say that all older traditional Catholics are just nostalgic, but a certain contingent of them are and perhaps these are the ones Pope Francis was talking about.

Like Pope Benedict said, there is Vatican II, and then there is the Vatican II of the media and the false "spirit of Vatican II."  It makes no sense to call out trads when so many have stood in the way of the Holy Spirit by distorting Catholic teaching and abusing the liturgy.
Fantastic... you know what's going to happen now anytime an argument comes up on different forums/blogs about trads?

"They're just resisting the Holy Spirit trying to turn the clock back, see what Pope Francis taught about it".

God Bless Papa Francis but this is ammo for those opposed to tradition.
I used to say I came to the TLM for the "smells and the bells" but that's not at all accurate when you start drilling down into what happened after Vatican II and what was thrown out. Traditional Catholicism is about [capital T] Tradition (and to a lesser extent) [small t] tradition. And yes, this will be a club used to hit us over the head. Hopefully, he won't keep saying this...
Lynne

+JMJ+

"Certainly, you must be informed about modern errors because preaching the truth involves preaching about distancing oneself from error; but do not make the negative, secondary aspect into the most important! Your first aim is not to fight against error but to know the truth. Your central concern should be study, your sanctification, silence, meditation, and the exercise of charity." - Archbishop Lefebvre
So far I have loved everything this Pope has said! Pope Benedict said the same thing, but in his own way. The Church always moves forward, never backward. Even if the TLM and sacramental rites were restored to the way they were before 1955, we still would not have a church that looked like 1955. We have almost 60 years and six popes behind us, and a calendar with a bunch of new saints. 

In fairness to Pope Francis, I didn't see him use the word "traditional" or "traditionalist." He is simply talking about resisting the Holy Spirit, which many do. I think liberals are probably the most guilty. Remember the Saducees were the liberals of their day. The Holy Spirit does have a way of stirring things up with both so-called progressives and conservatives.

Well, I don't see what's comfortable about being a traditional Catholic. Much less "familiar" for those of us who come from different religious backgrounds (I was raised in Mormonism, and have been an agnostic/apatheist for many years).
(04-16-2013, 11:17 AM)Non liquet Wrote: Well, I don't see what's comfortable about being a traditional Catholic.

I think he means we all get in our "comfort zones" and don't want to change, that is, to be open to the Holy Spirit. Sometimes change is necessary -- and painful.   
"Put frankly, the Pope continued, 'the Holy Spirit upsets us because it moves us, it makes us walk, it pushes the Church forward.' He said that we wish 'to calm down the Holy Spirit, we want to tame it and this is wrong.' Pope Francis said “that’s because the Holy Spirit is the strength of God, it’s what gives us the strength to go forward” but many find this upsetting and prefer the comfort of the familiar."

Is this just a bad translation or is he actually calling the Holy Ghost "it" instead of "He"?  ??? Regarding the meat of the article, it's strange how these post-conciliar people never refer to anything written or said by Popes before the Robber Council VII. VII is their god.

(04-16-2013, 11:22 AM)Lee Timmer Wrote: Robber Council VII.

:Hmm: :O :O :'((

Dude, that can't be right.
(04-16-2013, 10:46 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: Like Pope Benedict said, there is Vatican II, and then there is the Vatican II of the media and the false "spirit of Vatican II."

Vatican II itself is the problem. Documents written with the intention of causing confusion and chaos will do just that when they're able to be interpreted by radicals.