Women to Control Vatican !
(04-22-2013, 11:09 AM)Poche Wrote: Everybody has been complaining about the Vatican administration. incompetance, corruption suspected "gay mafia." Now they are talking about bringing in new faces and some of you are still complaining.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????? 

I'm not. I just posted the thread because it's news.

If the halls of the Vatican are infested with corrupt clergy then I'm all for this pope, who is apparently heterosexual, to place women in important positions. As long as they are orthodox.

If Francis wants to clean house, more power to him.

( I mentioned that the pope is heterosexual, not as a swipe at those with SSA, but because those in the Vatican who are the problem happen to have SSA going by what we have learned. Those people tend to stick together, so it's prudent to break their grip on the affairs of the Vatican)
Perhaps we should get serious. Where will he find women religious to fill all the Curia ? The headline suggests women will control the Vatican. Sensational yes, but probable no ! Perhaps HH will choose Sister Joan C. for Secretary of State, or Papal Theologian yes ? Get serious. More likely he knows an order of sisters from back in Argentina he trusts, and is thinking of sprinkling them throughout so he has some folks that he trusts and faces he recognizes. All of the progressives will write to make us think he is super liberal Papa, and the conservatives which don't like him will make him seem crazy. 

tim
There's already women in the curia.  Personally, as long as it's not a position tied to Holy Orders or where having an ordained cleric is for some reason very important to the specific task, I'd take a faithful woman who will do the job right with a final goal of the glory of God and the salvation of souls over a faithless man who likes to play politics, wants a cushy job, or is seeking power and worldly repsect.

For what its worth, lay women have even controlled the appointments of bishops and abbots in the past in places where sovereigns were granted that right from the Church and a woman ascended to the throne (or exercised authority on behalf of the sovereign)--some did a great job!
a new Sr Pascalina Mary Lehnert Pascalina?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10873372
It seems to me that the examples of women in leadership / teaching positions usually refer to women leading other women or teaching children.  Not women leading and teaching men.  St. Joan of Arc was an exception.  St. Catherine of Siena was an exception.  If these appointments in the Vatican curia are to be held by humble women religious ... that's great.  If they're to be held by entitled lay women who are striving to be noticed and important ... I don't think that's great.  Women are not naturally better than men.  They are not less likely to sin.  They just sin in different ways.
The thing that bothers me is the way many people seem to assume that adding women will make things better, as if women are morally superior to men.  There was lots of talk like this back when they were deciding whether to give the vote to women.  Has anybody noticed the world turning into a better place once women could vote?  I sure haven't.

I see no reason to think that putting women in the Vatican will be an improvement, just because they are women. 
I was under the impression, based upon what I read by Jimmy Akin, that the "declaration" of "Doctor of the Church" is not an infallible declaration. It isn't like canonization. I can be within my right to think that the modern popes made a huge error in deciding to call these four women "Doctors." Look up the dates for when they were declared doctors. It really shouldn't surprise you.

Bunch of bull crap if you ask me. They're holy and they're saints, but declaring them Doctors of the Church is an entirely different matter.
(04-22-2013, 02:27 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: There's already women in the curia.  Personally, as long as it's not a position tied to Holy Orders or where having an ordained cleric is for some reason very important to the specific task, I'd take a faithful woman who will do the job right with a final goal of the glory of God and the salvation of souls over a faithless man who likes to play politics, wants a cushy job, or is seeking power and worldly repsect.

For what its worth, lay women have even controlled the appointments of bishops and abbots in the past in places where sovereigns were granted that right from the Church and a woman ascended to the throne (or exercised authority on behalf of the sovereign)--some did a great job!

And there are all kinds of problems right now.  Just because we see it used to some degree doesn't mean it should be expanded.

Further, recommending appointments is very different than bossing around clerics: once they are appointed, one would expect, a Catholic queen will allow her country's churchmen to tend to Church affairs, period.  And again, it was very rare that a female monarch would be in such a case anyway.

I'm very surprised at this attitude amongst 'trads.'  Normally, a woman's roles is to raise her children, administer her house, and support her husband.  Let's not get bogged down in the 1 in 10,000,000 cases of a Saint Joan of Arc or the saintly Queen Isabella.  These are not normal situations. 

One of the most revolutionary changes in our time is the dual income, totally integrated workforce.  You know, it is confounding how a trad could say 'oh yeah homeschool!' or 'classes should be all boy or all girl' but then support integrated workforces.  Total nuttiness.  What's more, the natural consequences are here: increasingly the economy is not centered around anything real, men have few opportunities to economically engage, and women become a greater share of the workforce.

This line of thinking is typically neo-con 'have it my way' Catholicism.  The liberals are this way, but just more logical about it.

In this case however, it's much more than just women bosses.  What is being floated in this article is like the grand triumph of the domineering church lady who stomps around the Sanctuary, orders the priests around, and savagely grabs the chalice with Our Lord's Blood.  We are talking about lay women literally controlling clerical lives. 

If you want to smother out the last bits of vocations in this post sexual revolution era, this is probably one of the better attempts.
(04-22-2013, 09:53 AM)Tim Wrote: Have any of you seen the Dominican sister which teach Catechism for kids on EWTN ? I've seen more than a few episodes and they fit the bill but they are younger sisters. All is not doom there are some besides the tiny trad Chapels and diocesan TLM Churches that still retain the Faith. This is what happens when people pound words and phrases like Councilar Church. It makes it seem the entire Church are modernists.

tim

I applauded it when one of the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia was recently named as the director of Education for the USCCB.  If they wish to take women like that and use them to staff some positions in the Vatican, I would be all for it.  Unfortunately, I believe this would likely be secular women who cannot be as easily directed under obedience to stay true to the Faith.   
None of the female Doctors of the Church have taught in the Church, their teachings are taught, but not by them but by a priest, which is the way it should be.