Criticizing John Paul II or any Pope. From John Salzas webpage.
(04-25-2013, 02:30 PM)Old Salt Wrote: No one caught on to the joke that one may refer to me in this thread as "OS" instead of "OP"

I still haven't caught on.
(04-25-2013, 02:36 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:
(04-25-2013, 02:30 PM)Old Salt Wrote: No one caught on to the joke that one may refer to me in this thread as "OS" instead of "OP"

KayneK addressed me as "OP" and I am "OS".
Simple.
(04-25-2013, 04:07 PM)Old Salt Wrote: KayneK addressed me as "OP" and I am "OS".
Simple.

OK
I'm supposed to be amazed (but I'm not) how a serious topic in the OP takes a 180 deg. turn and ends up in platitudes which has nothing to do with the subject at hand.  Typical FE propensity.
(04-25-2013, 07:47 PM)Vincentius Wrote: I'm supposed to be amazed (but I'm not) how a serious topic in the OP takes a 180 deg. turn and ends up in platitudes which has nothing to do with the subject at hand.  Typical FE propensity.

I like the way your jowls shake when you scold us, Mister!  :P
I just meant that JP2's litany of apologizes seemed to criticize prior Popes, if not the Church itself. (Actually, yes, the Church itself.) Apologizing for someone is, in effect, criticizing.

I don't think many people are that, um, ...I mean with the Popes. But someone added other clergy, and I just don't see how can you take Dolan for real, with his chuckling at Calvary. Sure, he's a NICE guy. (When he's in a good mood.) VERY nice. I could see him being an excellent bartender! But confessing your thoughts about Dolan doesn't seem to get me any extra Aves at Penance. (I haven't asked, but I think it actually lessens the Penance.)

Back to Popes: if in Rome next month I fly my ass all that way and get

[img height=200]http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/uploads/images/normal-images/Pope_Francis_I_.jpg[/img]

... I will be seriously considering if Canon 1 applies to GENTLY moving Papa Francesco's hand in the sign of a cross. The wave thing just doesn't do it for me. What is that? In the name of HAND? On Eagle's Hand? I don't get it. (I know he has sciatica, but isn't that a BACK thing? He doesn't even have to do a wide-sweeping blessing: just a teeny one. But I think it's canon law that a blessing HAS to be the sign of the cross, not a WAVE.)

(Good God, what if Papa asks us to bless HIM  :O You can't say no. But you can't do it, either! I guess you'd just have to accept being Hellbound. Or maybe I'll show him my feet and ask for a washing; you know, change the subject? —That's it; I'm ducking the Pope. <---that's not a crime, right? I'll hang with Pope Pius X and maybe John XXIII, and pray pray PRAY)
(04-25-2013, 02:36 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:

I tell bad jokes.
Not your fault.
(04-25-2013, 09:03 PM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: .. I will be seriously considering if Canon 1 applies to GENTLY moving Papa Francesco's hand in the sign of a cross. The wave thing just doesn't do it for me. What is that? In the name of HAND? On Eagle's Hand? I don't get it. (I know he has sciatica, but isn't that a BACK thing? He doesn't even have to do a wide-sweeping blessing: just a teeny one. But I think it's canon law that a blessing HAS to be the sign of the cross, not a WAVE.)

(Good God, what if Papa asks us to bless HIM  :O You can't say no. But you can't do it, either! I guess you'd just have to accept being Hellbound. Or maybe I'll show him my feet and ask for a washing; you know, change the subject? —That's it; I'm ducking the Pope. <---that's not a crime, right?

cecelia - this is outrageous  :LOL:
Pope Francis has asked us to pray for him; it's the media who interprets this as asking for a blessing.

An excellent post, OS. I for one was greatly pained on hearing of Bl. John Paul II's kissing of the Koran and the Assisi prayer services. With all my heart I wish they hadn't happened. Giving the Pope (soon to be Saint) the benefit of the doubt and not presuming to know his subjective intention is probably the best way, but it's certainly not easy.
Wish wash.  “The pope should not flatter himself about his power, nor should he rashly glory in his honour and high estate, because the less he is judged by man, the more he is judged by God. Still the less can the Roman Pontiff glory, because he can be judged by men, or rather, can be shown to be already judged, if for example he should wither away into heresy, because “he who does not believe is already judged.” (St. John 3:18) In such a case it should be said of him: ‘If salt should lose its savour, it is good for nothing but to be cast out and trampled under foot by men.’”  That's Pope Innocent III.  I'll take him over Salazar thanks.  God did not intend for us to have advanced degrees in theology to figure out if papal claimants are destroying the church piece by piece, JPII being the biggest offender.  In fact it does more harm when non Catholics look at the mindless masses going along with the destruction and say "that's Catholicism."