Criticizing John Paul II or any Pope. From John Salzas webpage.
(04-26-2013, 10:34 AM)NorthernTrad Wrote: God did not intend for us to have advanced degrees in theology to figure out if papal claimants are destroying the church piece by piece, JPII being the biggest offender.  In fact it does more harm when non Catholics look at the mindless masses going along with the destruction and say "that's Catholicism."

I've been trying to convert my best friend for many years. He was very open to it at one time, but as JPII's time went on and on, he backed off. Finally, he asked me one day after I mentioned conversion, "Convert to WHAT?" I couldn't argue.
(04-25-2013, 08:11 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:
(04-25-2013, 07:47 PM)Vincentius Wrote: I'm supposed to be amazed (but I'm not) how a serious topic in the OP takes a 180 deg. turn and ends up in platitudes which has nothing to do with the subject at hand.  Typical FE propensity.

I like the way your jowls shake when you scold us, Mister!   Sticking tongue out at you

Sorry, I forgot that another penchant is for smart alecky retorts, as if a need is there to make a comment.
If nobody has the right  to judge the Pope, then why were several popes during the Church's long history very harshly judged? Though not because they erred in matters of faith and morals, but because they led scandalous lifes, which is a lesser evil?
And what to think of Fr Luigi Villa's trilogy about John XXIII, Paul VI and John Paul II?
(04-26-2013, 02:41 PM)maso Wrote: If nobody has the right  to judge the Pope, then why were several popes during the Church's long history very harshly judged? Though not because they erred in matters of faith and morals, but because they led scandalous lifes, which is a lesser evil?
And what to think of Fr Luigi Villa's trilogy about John XXIII, Paul VI and John Paul II?

I agree. John XXIII, Paul VI, and JPII will get passes because, well, they wore white cassocks.
(04-26-2013, 10:58 AM)Lee Timmer Wrote:
(04-26-2013, 10:34 AM)NorthernTrad Wrote: God did not intend for us to have advanced degrees in theology to figure out if papal claimants are destroying the church piece by piece, JPII being the biggest offender.  In fact it does more harm when non Catholics look at the mindless masses going along with the destruction and say "that's Catholicism."

I've been trying to convert my best friend for many years. He was very open to it at one time, but as JPII's time went on and on, he backed off. Finally, he asked me one day after I mentioned conversion, "Convert to WHAT?" I couldn't argue.

This brings me to where I want to comment. Taking into consideration both of your statements, it's not practicing real Catholicism which brings them to this notion. If we as Catholics practiced the Faith better we'd out shine all of the muck and mire, further taking the approach that one can teach some one to Faith, only puts you on their level where everything is debatable, because they believe they have the same authority which is derived from each's particular  reasoning. In short we are all Popes. The church has always been falling apart because of wicked churchmen, but through examples like the Saints, and good priests faithful to Christ, in the face of the churchmen screwing it all up,  leads the way to Salvation. We that slug it out maintaining ourselves in Sanctifying Grace carry Christ to all.

tim 
(04-26-2013, 01:07 PM)Vincentius Wrote:
(04-25-2013, 08:11 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:
(04-25-2013, 07:47 PM)Vincentius Wrote: I'm supposed to be amazed (but I'm not) how a serious topic in the OP takes a 180 deg. turn and ends up in platitudes which has nothing to do with the subject at hand.  Typical FE propensity.

I like the way your jowls shake when you scold us, Mister!   Sticking tongue out at you

Sorry, I forgot that another penchant is for smart alecky retorts, as if a need is there to make a comment.

Bluster and gumption!

[Image: 2865905_f496.jpg]