Teachings of Vatican II According to (insert favorite bishop's name here)
A curious thought occurred to me recently.  Actually, it's not so recent but I was reminded about it and decided to start a thread on the topic.

First of all let's start with Vatican II and Ordinary Magisterium.  For the sake of argument, let's make some assumptions.  Please note that these are merely assumptions and aren't being presented as facts.

1.  All the bishops signed the documents and thus gave their implied approval thus making the teachings of Vatican II universal (ignore the fact that some bishops never signed).
2.  That Vatican II actually had new teachings and wasn't merely rephrasing older Church teachings.
3.  All the bishops have expressed their adherence to the teachings of Vatican II since the end of the council.

So given the above assumptions, we'd come to the conclusion that Vatican II has the infallibility granted to the Ordinary Magisterium.  So far so good.  At this point the bishops instruct their priests in the teachings of Vatican II and the priests instruct the people.

The bishops are as a whole, preaching the teachings of Vatican II.  Cardinal Burke teaches his flock, Cardinal Mahony teaches his.  Even EWTN gets in on the fun and instructs viewers on the teachings of Vatican II.  In my own diocese we once had Bishop Imesch teaching Vatican II followed by Bishop Sartain teaching Vatican II.  Cardinal Kasper is over in Germany instructing the faithful in the teachings of Vatican II while Pope Benedict is writing on the teachings of Vatican II (with a slightly different approach than Kasper's).

So we know that Vatican II has the infallibility of Ordinary Magisterium because the popes and all the bishops are in one voice on the matter.  There's one slight problem though.  What are the teachings of Vatican II?  Which bishop are we to listen to?  Do the teachings of Vatican II vary by diocese or parish?  Can we learn what the Universal Magisterium teaches through Vatican II through Cardinals Mahony and Kasper or Bishop Imesch?

Discuss away!

[edit]  Perhaps this would have been better placed in the Documents section of the forum.

Messages In This Thread
Teachings of Vatican II According to (insert favorite bishop's name here) - by Akavit - 04-28-2013, 04:02 PM