Holy Father continues to speak about sacrament of confession: shame is a virtue
(05-01-2013, 12:33 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote:
(05-01-2013, 12:18 AM)Poche Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 05:49 PM)Irish_Ivan Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 05:32 PM)Richard C Wrote: I'm glad to hear our Holy Father talking like this. We need to be reminded that we have to be sorry for our sins to be forgiven.

What does that actually mean though?  Is a confession not valid because one doesn't feeeeeeeel sorry and ashamed of what they've done, even if they recognize that they've sinned and firmly resolve not to do it again.  Does the validity of confession hinge on an involuntary feeling?
What it means is that if you are not really sorry for having sinned then you are wasting your time going to confession. Contrition and purpose of amendment are requirements in order to be forgiven.

So wait: like I usually confess, "I said about a hundred curse words", but I'm fairly sure there will be another hundred next time (depending on stress) — I shouldn't confess that?

Man I'm screwed. I started this personal "idea" where I'd go a whole Sunday without saying one bad word. Then I extended it to some of Monday. Got up to Tuesday, but, well I'm never sure if singing a rap song that's got a bunch of bad words is "singing" or "cursing", so I play it safe and assume that's cursing. (I can't tell my priest the songs, or he'd ask to hear them, and then he'd probably have a heart attack and I'd have blood on my hands.) I also include curse words I hear on tv (like "F yeah!") that I repeat in my head.

But I don't want to give up my songs or movies. And sometimes I love dropping an F-bomb on someone unruly. I sound like a dork if I say "Floor you!" or [worse] "Imma kick his buttocks." (I've tried quite a few "ideas" to get out of my cursing habit.)

So I've been making bad confessions all this time. CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (So should I say, "I've said 100 curse words, and don't think that's going to change?" What's the Penance run on that? (It seems so self-righteous!)
You still have to be sorry for your sins and you still have to have firm purpose of amendment. Of course no matter how often you fall you still have to get up. Jesus fell three times carrying his cross and he got up each time.
:) :) :)
(05-01-2013, 12:33 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: So wait: like I usually confess, "I said about a hundred curse words", but I'm fairly sure there will be another hundred next time (depending on stress) — I shouldn't confess that?

Man I'm screwed. I started this personal "idea" where I'd go a whole Sunday without saying one bad word. Then I extended it to some of Monday. Got up to Tuesday, but, well I'm never sure if singing a rap song that's got a bunch of bad words is "singing" or "cursing", so I play it safe and assume that's cursing. (I can't tell my priest the songs, or he'd ask to hear them, and then he'd probably have a heart attack and I'd have blood on my hands.) I also include curse words I hear on tv (like "F yeah!") that I repeat in my head.

But I don't want to give up my songs or movies. And sometimes I love dropping an F-bomb on someone unruly. I sound like a dork if I say "Floor you!" or [worse] "Imma kick his buttocks." (I've tried quite a few "ideas" to get out of my cursing habit.)

So I've been making bad confessions all this time. CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (So should I say, "I've said 100 curse words, and don't think that's going to change?" What's the Penance run on that? (It seems so self-righteous!)

Where did you get the idea that using a curse word is a sin?
It's right in Scripture from our Lord Himself, (Matthew 12:36) "But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment." Also St. Paul said, (2 Timothy 2:16) "But shun profane and vain babblings: for they grow much towards ungodliness."
(05-05-2013, 10:58 PM)GodFirst Wrote: It's right in Scripture from our Lord Himself, (Matthew 12:36) "But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment." Also St. Paul said, (2 Timothy 2:16) "But shun profane and vain babblings: for they grow much towards ungodliness."

I can agree on Matt 12. Per Haydock: "Ver. 36. That every idle word.[3] By idle words, St. Jerome, &c. expound words that are neither profitable to the speaker nor the hearer: but St. Chrysostom says, false and abusive language. (Witham)"

But for 2 Timothy... it seems different, and Haydock's commentary agrees. A contextual reading seems to indicate profane in a different sense, and vain in the sense of that which tickles the ears, not a 4 letter word either in haste or seriousness.

"15 Carefully study to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain speeches: for they grow much towards impiety:

17 And their speech spreadeth like a cancer: of whom are Hymenæus and Philetus,

18 Who have erred from the truth, saying, that the resurrection is past already, and have subverted the faith of some."

Maybe Philetus was saying "the **** resurrection is ****ing passed, ya ****s," like a potty mouth from south Boston or something, but I doubt it.
Is this incorrect, then?  Or did St. Paul commit a sin?

http://www.brokenalabaster.com/2008/10/skubala.html

Quote: ... Philippians 3:9 ("For his sake I
have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as skubala.") Peter
Kreeft once wrote that it's the only word in the New Testament that modern
translators never dare to translate. They usually render it as "refuse", but
its true meaning is much stronger than that.As a cuss word, it works on so
many levels. The only ones who get offended by it are the ancient Greeks,
but you hardly ever see them around anymore. So skubala skubala
skubala!

Also:
http://www.mark-shea.com/sav.html
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skubala&defid=2061052

I'm not trying to say that curse words can never be used in a sinful way.  However the idea that any single use of whatever the collective herd mentality currently deems to be "naughty word" is automatically a sin is just scrupulous IMO.
(05-05-2013, 10:58 PM)GodFirst Wrote: It's right in Scripture from our Lord Himself, (Matthew 12:36) "But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment." Also St. Paul said, (2 Timothy 2:16) "But shun profane and vain babblings: for they grow much towards ungodliness."

Idle words =/= swearing.
Profane and vain babblings =/= swearing as such.

Swearing unnecessarily and in every context is a a horrible trait. Like the yobs who cannot compose a sentence without at least a couple F-words thrown in. It's the mark of a decent Christian, or at least an educated and decent secular person, to not use his mouth for potty language too often. However, swearing in the appropriate time is not sinful - certainly not mortally sinful. There is also a difference between swearing/cuss words and using vulgarities. If you go onto a forum with lots of late-teens and over-sexed adults you will see what vulgarities are. I think these are possibly mortal sins. But saying the F-word or similar out of frustration or to make a point here and there is not bad. A priest I knew told me as such (traditional) and he once we were discussing the conversion of Russia and he said something like "And I'm meant to believe that bullshit?"

Don't get me wrong, I think I say less than one swear word every two weeks even if I hurt myself or something (I've trained myself to never swear because I once used to think it was a mortal sin and now I just like keeping my language clean) but I don't think the occasional swear word is wrong. That isn't my personal opinion. It's just common sense and using your Catholic brain to tell you what is acceptable and why. Telling your neighbour he is an "F***ing piece of s*** ***hole" is sinful. Watching Obama speak on the news and saying "I have no time for his s**t" probably isn't.
What if you substitute the name of a possibly demon possessed pagan for Our Lord's name, i.e. "Joseph H. Baldheaded Smith in a Sidecar"?  It seems to me it's ok, except you might offend a Mormon unintentionally. 

The point I'm making is, it sometimes helps to substitute other words for the bad ones.  And sometimes not.
(05-13-2013, 02:10 AM)DrSlump Wrote: Is this incorrect, then?  Or did St. Paul commit a sin?

http://www.brokenalabaster.com/2008/10/skubala.html

Quote: ... Philippians 3:9 ("For his sake I
have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as skubala.") Peter
Kreeft once wrote that it's the only word in the New Testament that modern
translators never dare to translate. They usually render it as "refuse", but
its true meaning is much stronger than that.As a cuss word, it works on so
many levels. The only ones who get offended by it are the ancient Greeks,
but you hardly ever see them around anymore. So skubala skubala
skubala!

Also:
http://www.mark-shea.com/sav.html
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skubala&defid=2061052

I'm not trying to say that curse words can never be used in a sinful way.  However the idea that any single use of whatever the collective herd mentality currently deems to be "naughty word" is automatically a sin is just scrupulous IMO.
DS, it's not the word itself that is sinful. It's that it proceeds from an evil will to be profane, vain, offensive or in unjust anger.
(05-13-2013, 03:22 AM)Felix E Wrote: Telling your neighbour he is an "F***ing piece of s*** ***hole" is sinful. Watching Obama speak on the news and saying "I have no time for his s**t" probably isn't.
The first is morality sinful because it is against charity. The latter is more the set of mind or spiritual state that one is in to said such a thing. We ought to be in a prayerful mindset rather than in a careless mindset. I don't know if such is always sinful. If it is, it's likely just venial sin. A person may be trying to overcome such an attitude and become more interior but was just caught off guard.