Did mary have a vaginal Birth.
A lady deserves her privacy.
SCG, and Moneil are my contemporaries minus a few years. We were told that Jesus was born of Mary as light passes through a glass.  It was reinforced with it's a mystery with good cause. Mary is a Virgin before during and after and forever. A woman that gives birth naturally is not a virgin. Mary is the Virgin.

This points exactly to what I see is completely wrong, wrong, wrong, on all sides of the Church. Mystery and Miraculous are Perfect Answers ! Everyone wants scientific answers. This is what leads to the current silly idea that only parts which are specific to our Salvation in Scripture are inspired.

Somewhere and some how we have decided our pea brains can reason everything. News Flash God limited our reasoning, but put no limits whatsoever on our stupidity. Wisdom has left the building and Intelligence and Science are left in it's place.

I understand the curiosity as no one of us humans know. But it falls right in line with what I've heard over the years here, that Councils discover new theological answers to these mysteries. No they do not, they safeguard what has been handed down when some whing ding has had a new way of interpreting it.

Christ asked will he find Faith when he returns. Faith is diametrically opposed to ferreting out the bits. It is believing in the face of everything and everyone saying the contrary.

end of rant

tim
(04-29-2013, 09:17 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I heard a priest on EWTN say she was a virgin before, during and after the birth of Our Lord. Fr. Angelus something or other.  Older guy with a beard. Of course, EWTN is a Network Gone Wrong, so what do they know?

That's not just EWTN,  that's Catholic dogma.

"Catholic Encyclopedia" Wrote:Virgin Birth of Christ

The dogma which teaches that the Blessed Mother of Jesus Christ was a virgin before, during, and after the conception and birth of her Divine Son.
(04-30-2013, 12:49 PM)Tim Wrote: Mary is a Virgin before during and after and forever. A woman that gives birth naturally is not a virgin. Mary is the Virgin.

Tim, thank you for stating Catholic teaching on this matter so clearly.
Was the way the BVM gave birth the way humanity would have done so pre-Fall? Or is it a special case in order to maintain her virginity?
(04-30-2013, 12:49 PM)Tim Wrote: A woman that gives birth naturally is not a virgin.

Usually this is so, since in order to give birth naturally, a woman must conceive through sexual intercourse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always understood virginity to mean that a woman hasn't had sexual intercourse.  Our Lord was conceived through the Holy Spirit instead of through sexual intercourse, and this is how Our lady could conceive a child while still being a virgin.  How would giving birth naturally compromise her virginity in any way?
(04-30-2013, 03:31 PM)Chestertonian Wrote:
(04-30-2013, 12:49 PM)Tim Wrote: A woman that gives birth naturally is not a virgin.

Usually this is so, since in order to give birth naturally, a woman must conceive through sexual intercourse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always understood virginity to mean that a woman hasn't had sexual intercourse.  Our Lord was conceived through the Holy Spirit instead of through sexual intercourse, and this is how Our lady could conceive a child while still being a virgin.  How would giving birth naturally compromise her virginity in any way?

It would break the hymen.
But a girl/young woman/old maid who breaks her hymen doing gymnastics, riding a bike or whatever is still a virgin surely!
(04-30-2013, 03:56 PM)loggats Wrote: But a girl/young woman/old maid who breaks her hymen doing gymnastics, riding a bike or whatever is still a virgin surely!

Whew!  Looks like she cleared the bar.

[Image: Octogenarian_Johanna_Quaas_sho.jpg]
Neat pic, but virginity = intact hymen doesn't always follow.