Recipes for Diabetic Folks
I have been inspired by the dietary difficulties of our diabetic forum members to start this thread. Let's list all the healthy, tasty, inexpensive recipes and meal ideas we can think of that would inspire our friends.

I first thought of this the other day while trying to decide what to do with some cooked kidney beans left over from making chili. Then I remembered that my grandmother used to make bean salad -- just like potato salad -- chopped onions, pickle relish, mayonnaise or oil, vinegar or mustard -- but with beans instead of potatoes. So good, and my diabetic MIL tells me that legumes are an excellent carbohydrate for people with diabetes. Filling and cheap, too.

I also wanted to mention one of my own favorite side dishes: baked kale. You wash and thoroughly dry kale and tear it into bite-sized pieces, spread it out on a baking sheet, and pour on a generous spoonful of olive oil, enough to coat the leaves. Rub them around in the oil and sprinkle on some salt. Then bake for about 20 minutes at 350 till the leaves are browned and crisp. They remind me very much of potato chips -- light, crispy, almost lacy in texture, with a melt-in-your-mouth delicacy that is truly surprising.

Anyone else?
As a diabetic, I welcome this thread and thank you satori for starting it. I noticed a few who were wondering about what dietary options they have in order to deal with their condition and education on the matter is rather limited for many.

The best advise I can give is to get the "South Beach Diet" book. Yes its for weight loss, but the maintenance diet and many of the weight loss recipes are actually excellent for the diabetic person too. Many are quite tasty.

Stay away from aspartame aka: Equal. http://aspartame.mercola.com/

It can make your blood sugar go crazy...up and down and it blocks your feeling full after eating carbs, among other things.
Thanks Satori! What an awesome idea! I'm putting this thread in my "favorites" to check back.
Another good one for if you have chicken and like to make soup. You can use whole chicken or any pieces that you like; I like to use a mixture of light and dark meat with skin and bone for flavor. I boil the chicken till it's cooked, then cool it a bit so I can remove the bones and skin. Then I add a can of pumpkin, chopped onion, carrots, and celery, a little ginger and cumin, and sometimes a dash of orange juice if I happen to have any. Cook till vegetables are soft and flavors are well blended. Pumpkin is good for you, filling and inexpensive.
I forgot to mention to add a clove or two of minced garlic to the soup above! That is, if you like garlic.

With summer coming up, enjoy easy and delicious salads like sliced tomatoes with avacadoes. Simply cut your fruits up in chunks, lightly salt (just enough to bring out the flavor), splash with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and enjoy.

Do you like guacamole? It's a good dip for crudites as well as chips. (I assume all my diabetic friends know to avoid tortilla chips, right?) It is also easy to make. Squish up a couple of avacadoes with as much minced garlic as your taste buds will happily accept, a splash of olive oil, a little salt, a dash of hot sauce (for those of us who like spicy things), and a few generous splashes of lime juice. Add minced cilantro if, like me, you find it tasty and refreshing. You can eat this as a salad, too, rather than a dip -- just put a spoonful of some shredded lettuce or spinach.

Avacadoes are filling and rich with vitamins and lots of healthy fat. Do not be afraid of fat! If you eat the right kind of fat, it will satisfy you and make you less likely to seek comfort and satiety from simple carbohydrates and sugar.

Anyone who eats at home should stock up some good spices and herbs, but it is perhaps even more important for someone on a restricted diet to do so. They will bring variety and good flavors to your food (and usually some health benefits, as well) and you will be less likely to feel cheated. Besides fresh garlic (and a garlic press for the best flavor), keep basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, olive and coconut oils, a bottle of lime juice, and a bottle of balsamic vinegar.

You can do anything with sweet potatoes that you can do with white ones, and they are much better for you. Make yourself some sweet potato oven fries thusly: Scrub (but do not peel) a sweet potato and slice it thinly. Pour a generous spoonful of olive oil on a baking sheet and rub the sweet potato slices in it. Arrange them, spread out, on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt (I like to add pepper and rosemary, too). Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, flip them over with a spatula, and bake again for 20 minutes.

Coming up soon: Recipes for basic cheese souffle (easier than you think!), roasted green beans, and tuna cheddar chowder.
Great tips Satori and I do love those sweet potato chips too and that recipe looks yummy!! But corn is one of those borderline okay carbs for diabetics. It has so much non-carbohydrate co-ingredients that it can be eaten with judiciousness without pumping up the blood glucose too much. But, like with most things, the farther away from the original food and into the refined product you get, the higher the index goes too.

Check out the Glycemic Index (GI): http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm  This is one of the best sites I've found on the subject...easy to read and understand and the list is quite inclusive. I love cherries and strawberries and both are quite low on the GI when eaten raw.
Good to know about corn, although we should all -- even us non-diabetics -- be careful what corn products we buy since corn is one of the big GMO products.

If corn tortillas are okay, then I recommend cutting them into triangles, rubbing them with oil, and baking them to make your own fresh chips!

Apples are low in sugar compared to other fruits. I'm trying to come up with a low-sugar version of apple crisp for diabetics. As you said, Zedta, artificial sweeteners should be avoided like the plague.
(05-11-2013, 10:10 AM)Satori Wrote: As you said, Zedta, artificial sweeteners should be avoided like the plague.

One doctor I know said that to use a judicious amount of sugar is better than using the artificial stuff, except for truvia or stavia, which are naturally plant derived. So using apples as a base and adding perhaps 1/2 or less the normally called for sugar or an appropriate amount of honey might be an idea.

Edit to add: The sweeteners truvia and stevia...I think, I am not sure...don't do well in cooking or baking.
I made a variation on a Steak Burrito or Steak Tacos tonight. I'm new to this so If I'm wrong let me know. I bought some Sirloin Tip that the Carneceria slices thin for sandwich steaks. I pounded it with meat hammer to tenderize added salt and pepper and Lawry's garlic. I was out of Adobo. I put them in tupperware so the salt helps to tenderize for a few hours. I zapped some Rosarita refried beans. I sliced some Roma tomatoes placed on a plate with just salt and pepper. Next I trimmed green onions, a lots of them. I fried the steak in very little oil. It was oil saved from frying other stuff and bacon fat mixed. Put the steaks on a plate and fried the onions, then,
I assembled  the thin steak with green onions, beans, tomatoes, jalapena salsa, and rolled them up. No tortillas, no potatoes, no Arroyo Amarillo, so I think I'm doing good, so tell me if I'm not. 

Oh I discovered Fudgesicles offers them made with out sugar, and 40 calories each.  I miss my ice cream especially coffee flavored.

tim 
Ooh, Tim, that sounds so good. Yes, that sounds like a fine meal to me, nutritionally speaking.

Don't eat the fake ice cream! Read what Zedta says above (and yes, Zedta, it is stevia -- and I think "Truvia" is a brand name for stevia -- but I've never cooked with it and know it can't be used exactly like sugar). You know those old-fashioned ice cream dishes like your mama or grandma probably had? The little pretty ones that could fit into the palm of your hand? THAT is a good serving size for ice cream. Real ice cream. Treat yourself to an old-fashioned-sized serving of real ice cream on Sunday after your main meal and you'll probably be all right. When I was pregnant and my midwife told me not to eat sugar (pregnant women's blood sugar can go crazy, similar to diabetics'), she said I could have ice cream as an occasional treat. It's full of good fat and protein, which helps balance out the rush of sugar. It's a much better dessert, health-wise, than cake or cookies.

And if anyone's interested, I'll post a delicious recipe I have for chocolate mousse. It's not specifically for diabetic folks, but it has very little sugar in it and is so rich and chocolatey. AND it tastes wonderful after it's been in the freezer for a couple of hours, like chocolate ice cream that angels might eat if they were lucky.