Recipes for Diabetic Folks
(05-21-2013, 01:46 PM)Deidre Wrote:
(05-21-2013, 01:23 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Yonanas! My kids can't get enough of this. All it is is frozen fruits. Frozen bananas, frozen berries or melon. You stick the fruit through the shoot like a food processor. It tastes like sorbet, but without all the sugar. It's just great.

Oooh, I want one! Peanut butter and banana!  Grin Actually, this looks like a fantastic idea for my grandma (she's diabetic, too). She loves those frozen yogurt icecream-bars, but this would be way healthier!

Yeah I'm really glad I bought it.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Wouldn't a frozen yogurt bar be better for a diabetic than frozen fruit, though? Fruit is very high in sugar naturally. Wouldn't it be better to throw in some protein? Well, I guess you have that with the peanut butter -- sorry I can't watch the video, maybe the lady addresses this.

Lisa, I'm sorry you don't like sweet potatoes -- one of my favorite vegetables! You should be fine eating white potatoes in moderation with plenty of yummy things like sour cream, cheese, bacon, etc. My favorite is Yukon Gold, how about you?
Ah yes, well perhaps that is so. I just assumed fruit would be okay.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
What about Polenta ? is it okay for diabetics ? It's made from corn and it can be cooked in stock or milk, and you can add shrooms and grated Italian cheeses.

tim
I'm also wondering about plantains. Zedta?
I believe plantains are like potatoes or bananas lots of carbs.

tim
My dad was recently diagnosed with diabetes so this thread could be very helpful, thanks to the OP for starting it.
I made a faux Cuban dish the other night that some might find interesting. I sauteed some garlic -- lots of it -- in coconut oil and added cooked black beans, some diced tomatoes in their juice, sliced sweet potatoes, and some chunks of leftover pork roast. I also added a scoop of rice, but that could easily be left out by diabetics. I seasoned it with lime juice and cilantro and served it with sour cream.
I'm a little tired of refried beans in my diet so Saturday when it cools some, I'm making a black bean concoction. if you're going to use black beans from the bag, cook them per instructions, or use canned black beans. I saute a red pepper, a big onion, and 3 ribs of celery diced in your favorite fat until about half way done then add the cooked beans, several whole garlic cloves (to be fished out later) and finish. If you like you can add frozen corn or cilantro.

This is so the meal is varied. I have been eating a bag of frozen vegetables like broccoli, green beans, spinach, or cauliflower with a portion of meat, but it's not varied enough. I'm amazed an entire one pound bag is about 180 calories, filling but monotonous.

I'm still wondering about polenta. It's about 8 percent carbs by serving.

tim
(05-29-2013, 03:00 PM)Satori Wrote: I'm also wondering about plantains. Zedta?

They are a tad worse than bananas. This is the best Glycemic Index/Load list I've found and Plantains are listed along with scores of other foods, including international brands: http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm