Recipes for Diabetic Folks
(05-30-2013, 06:35 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(05-29-2013, 03:00 PM)Satori Wrote: I'm also wondering about plantains. Zedta?

They are a tad worse than bananas. This is the best Glycemic Index/Load list I've found and Plantains are listed along with scores of other foods, including international brands: http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

They're WORSE than bananas! Ack! I would've thought they were better since they're not as sweet. (They are very starchy, though.) And better than sweet potatoes from this standpoint.

Thank you for that link, it's very helpful.

Have you had any experience cooking quinoa, Zedta? I'd like to recommend it since it's a protein that makes an excellent substitute for rice and porridge grains, but I don't have much experience cooking it and making it delicious.
(05-30-2013, 06:48 PM)Satori Wrote:
(05-30-2013, 06:35 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(05-29-2013, 03:00 PM)Satori Wrote: I'm also wondering about plantains. Zedta?

They are a tad worse than bananas. This is the best Glycemic Index/Load list I've found and Plantains are listed along with scores of other foods, including international brands: http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

They're WORSE than bananas! Ack! I would've thought they were better since they're not as sweet. (They are very starchy, though.) And better than sweet potatoes from this standpoint.

Thank you for that link, it's very helpful.

Have you had any experience cooking quinoa, Zedta? I'd like to recommend it since it's a protein that makes an excellent substitute for rice and porridge grains, but I don't have much experience cooking it and making it delicious.

Glad I could help.

I've never cooked quioa, but rutabaga, well that is sorta like a potato and is quite tasty too and 103 vs. baked potato at 121.

Here's a few to help you understand the index. Diabetics need to avoid the higher indexed foods. The link I had in the last post has a very extensive listing of many foods, from right off the farm to including commercial domestic foods and foreign produced as well.

When you look at the index, its easier to see what causes a spike in the blood sugar are the foods above 100. One slice of white bread=100. Potato is=126. Pinto beans are=55 an apple is=54 and cherries are=32! and so on. You don't go over 100, if you can't help it, you don't spend much time over there...reduce your exposure, like staying out of the sun. The longer and more severe the exposure to the higher index numbered substances, the more your body is 'irritated'. Its the irritation that kills us. It sets us up for circulatory problems, with all the fluids flowing poorly, cells don't survive well. I try to keep things lower that 100, but a truly only 'now and then' venture into the danger zone might be better than venturing into a treat that is full of artificial stuff too, like Equal or the like. Getting that blast of sugar slows me down a bit and I have to be extra good afterwards! Depending on the severity of the 'exposure' is the determiner as to how long 'til the next insult. I try to space them out as much as possible. Smile