Origins of the phrase "new springtime" for V2?
My usually-sharp google skills are failing me.

Where was the phrase "new springtime" first used in reference to Vatican II?

Thank you in advance.
I'm not sure myself, but I am always suprized when I hear it used in a serious fashion.
I think it's actually a pretty apt term, but it's lost on most people.

Springtime is full of hail storms, dandelions, mud, rabbit nests caught in the lawnmower, surprise overnight freezes followed by 75 degree sunny days, composting, plowing, and a winter's worth of dog crap in the backyard.

People who hear "springtime" and imagine tulips and rainbows have an idiotic view of spring.
I bet you're a hit at spring-cleaning parties.

You forgot allergies, the return of hairy-legged hippie girls bearing their triumphant winter growth, rising gas prices, and the recurring possibility of airstrikes and starting wars.
Based on a quick google search, I found that apparently Pope Pius XII predicted a "new springtime in the life of the Church". I cannot find where he said this to determine if he placed it in the period of Vatican II or some future period. Either way, it seems the phrase became applied to the Council.

I don't know, but every time I hear new springtime, it triggers that Tori Amos song In the Springtime of his voodoo...(pre revert days)

What's with this outdated buzzword.

New springtime is not a phrase I easily associate with Catholicism.
It seems to be a very common phrase, as can be expected.

"Countless hearts beat with the hope raised by the beloved Pope John XXIII and strengthened by Pope Paul VI. Many look to the Second Vatican Council for the 'new springtime' in the life of the Church, the People of God, which Pius XII said was not far off. Renewal, revival, reform -- aggiornamento -- these words and desires are everywhere in the Church."

- National Catholic Educational Association Bulletin, Volume 61, p. 262, 1964

Pius XII used the phrase more than once. Here's an example:

Coopererete in tal guisa a rafforzare la fiducia circa la possibilità che anche nel mondo del lavoro finisca l'inverno e cominci una primavera nuova. Diverranno lontani i tempi, nei quali si presentava allo sguardo uno spettacolo desolato e desolante, perché era un fuggir via da Gesù, un rimanere lontano da Lui, un temere di avvicinarsi a Lui, come se lo stare con Lui significasse tradire i propri legittimi interessi.

Non sarà più così. Se non Ci fa velo agli occhi il desiderio di un'era nuova di bene, vi è da credere che presto dovrà cessare ogni benché minima opposizione tra il mondo del lavoro e la dottrina redentrice di Cristo.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_x...ni_it.html
(05-10-2013, 09:47 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: It seems to be a very common phrase, as can be expected.

"Countless hearts beat with the hope raised by the beloved Pope John XXIII and strengthened by Pope Paul VI. Many look to the Second Vatican Council for the 'new springtime' in the life of the Church, the People of God, which Pius XII said was not far off. Renewal, revival, reform -- aggiornamento -- these words and desires are everywhere in the Church."

- National Catholic Educational Association Bulletin, Volume 61, p. 262, 1964

Pius XII used the phrase more than once. Here's an example:

Coopererete in tal guisa a rafforzare la fiducia circa la possibilità che anche nel mondo del lavoro finisca l'inverno e cominci una primavera nuova. Diverranno lontani i tempi, nei quali si presentava allo sguardo uno spettacolo desolato e desolante, perché era un fuggir via da Gesù, un rimanere lontano da Lui, un temere di avvicinarsi a Lui, come se lo stare con Lui significasse tradire i propri legittimi interessi.

Non sarà più così. Se non Ci fa velo agli occhi il desiderio di un'era nuova di bene, vi è da credere che presto dovrà cessare ogni benché minima opposizione tra il mondo del lavoro e la dottrina redentrice di Cristo.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_x...ni_it.html

Metaphors like these make one the target of easy ridicule. 
(05-10-2013, 12:14 AM)jonbhorton Wrote: Based on a quick google search, I found that apparently Pope Pius XII predicted a "new springtime in the life of the Church". I cannot find where he said this to determine if he placed it in the period of Vatican II or some future period. Either way, it seems the phrase became applied to the Council.

Pius XII could not place that expression in the period of VATII since he died many years before this council's opening. He himself considered to call a council by the early fifties but gave up that idea in justly and prophetically  assuming the dangers it would draw on the Church through her infestation by the modernists and their condemned ideas.
VATII's outcomes showed he was right.
I understand that Pius XII died before the Council. Predicted periods of time, and occurrences in those times, do not by necessity have to be uttered in the era of their fruition nor known in their specificity by their utterer.

If the Pope sees a sort of spiritual winter, by necessity there should be a spiritual spring. The Pope does not have to know when that first day of spring will be, nor might he particularly know about the extension of winter, global cooling, and freak snowstorms and warm temps in winter.

Make sense? bien.