Philosophical Grad schools
As a rising junior majoring in physics and mathematics at a fairly prestigious university, my first course of action after undergraduate studies would be to attend graduate school and earn either a Ph.D or Sc.D in mathematical physics (preferably in those areas dealing with things like GR, quantum mechanics, particle physics, and string theory). However, I would then like to go further and earn a D.Phil in philosophy of science. Does anyone know of top graduate programs in philosophy of science? (Also, does anyone know of any readily accessible works dealing with philosophy of science from a Platonic/Aristotelian view?) Thanks!!
I'm afraid I can't help much with the Ph.D programs. I once considered philosophy grad school, but that is no more. As for the books, I have a guy who's up your alley. His name is Wolfgang Smith. Read up on him. He wrote some brilliant books, but by far his best is The Quantum Enigma, where he shows that findings in quantum physics compel a rejection of materialism and an interpretation in the name of hylomorphism. The book changed my life forever. I'm not kidding about that.

I personally also recommend his book Cosmos and Transcendence. although somewhat abstruse, he shows (as he does in The Quantum Enigma) that materialism is a presupposition of modern science, not a conclusion and has led to a values vacuum in many other fields of study. While what he presents there isn't exactly what's on the modern mind, they definitely give a powerful schematic for why the modern mind works as it does.

Like I said, I've been changed indelibly by this man's works. Do read him and prepare for true enlightenment.
(05-11-2013, 10:51 PM)joelkurtzhalts Wrote: I'm afraid I can't help much with the Ph.D programs. I once considered philosophy grad school, but that is no more. As for the books, I have a guy who's up your alley. His name is Wolfgang Smith. Read up on him. He wrote some brilliant books, but by far his best is The Quantum Enigma, where he shows that findings in quantum physics compel a rejection of materialism and an interpretation in the name of hylomorphism. The book changed my life forever. I'm not kidding about that.

I personally also recommend his book Cosmos and Transcendence. although somewhat abstruse, he shows (as he does in The Quantum Enigma) that materialism is a presupposition of modern science, not a conclusion and has led to a values vacuum in many other fields of study. While what he presents there isn't exactly what's on the modern mind, they definitely give a powerful schematic for why the modern mind works as it does.

Like I said, I've been changed indelibly by this man's works. Do read him and prepare for true enlightenment.

Wow I just read this article by him: http://www.webcitation.org/5XP1NFp3B

Wow! Fantastic. Will be picking up the book. Thank you  :grin:
GloriaPatri,

I know a man with a PhD in this very field and have sent you a PM with his contact info.

best regards,
Jon
(05-11-2013, 10:51 PM)joelkurtzhalts Wrote: I'm afraid I can't help much with the Ph.D programs. I once considered philosophy grad school, but that is no more. As for the books, I have a guy who's up your alley. His name is Wolfgang Smith. Read up on him. He wrote some brilliant books, but by far his best is The Quantum Enigma, where he shows that findings in quantum physics compel a rejection of materialism and an interpretation in the name of hylomorphism. The book changed my life forever. I'm not kidding about that.

Thank you so much Joe. I read his wiki article (which I'm sure doesn't do justice) and I am highly impressed :)

And thank you as well Jon.