Bp Williamson 5/12 column
The news from a one-week visit to Germany, France and Switzerland is encouraging. Certain leaders might do well to remember the famous words of Abraham Lincoln: “You can fool some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time.” Fewer people all the time are being fooled by what is happening within the Newsociety of St Pius X.

The journey began in Germany where some people feared I might run into difficulties, but for four days I was not troubled in any way. A good young layman picked me up at Frankfurt’s huge railway station and drove me north to Brilon Wald to meet the half dozen Carmelite Sisters who have become famous throughout the world of Catholic Tradition for having separated themselves, for all the right reasons, from the SSPX in its present state. They are clear in mind, resolute and cheerful. As Mother Superior told me, their greatest sorrow is that for over 20 years no novice has persevered with them. The Carmelite Sisters are not being expelled from their present convent, as has been feared, but they are hoping to move south for greater local support. May God be with them. Their prayers are precious to all of us.

Then I was driven back south of Frankfurt to address a private meeting of some two dozen adults, mostly men, in a countryside setting. They listened attentively in the afternoon to an in-depth analysis of the background crisis of the New World Order and the Newchurch, and on the following morning to a presentation of the foreground problems in the Newsociety. There were plenty of good questions and a good deal of hearty singing from the compatriots of Beethoven. The springtime birds in the German trees were given a good run for their money !

Further south, in Munich, I met with an old friend and the two lawyers who will be going to bat for me at my fifth trial for denying the “Holocaust”, due to take place in Regensburg in September. They are well aware that national politics make a just verdict at the regional level virtually impossible, but they will do their best. Precisely because the Six Million serve as a substitute Redeemer in millions of minds, I had no scruple in remunerating the lawyers from the St Marcel Initiative, but its funds are being depleted. Thank you for all and any help.

Then to the Black Forest in southwest Germany, where there is another community of half a dozen Sisters, likewise cheerful and resolved not to follow the present misdirection of the SSPX. Founded in 1988, they have recently finished building and decorating a beautiful chapel with some two dozen choir-stalls “as a sign of hope”, their chaplain told me. Girls, if you think you may have a vocation, here are two firmly anti-modern convents in Germany that you can try.

Lastly, one night in Switzerland, close but unknown to Écône, where they may have learned only afterwards that I passed by to meet a group of good layfolk. And one night in Paris where I learned to my delight that many SSPX priests in France have lost all trust in the present management of the SSPX. Let us be patient. Almighty God is fooled by none of us.

My next engagement is in London on May 19, when I should be addressing British Friends of Palestine on Hamlet. Why ? In that play Shakespeare cries out with pain at the loss of England’s soul. Were England still Catholic, not only Palestine but the whole world would be better off.

Kyrie eleison.
So, the SSPX with Fellay = Newsociety of Saint Pius X or NSSPX = the splinter group?
This EC is full of the baseless swipes at the SSPX leadership we've become accustomed to from His Excellency of late.  He acts as though his positions are so obviously correct that he doesn't need to explain or defend them anymore.  Apart from rant-filled tirades picking apart the sentence structure of certain paragraphs of certain "leaked" documents, I've seen very little concrete evidence lately to support this continued bashing of the leadership.  Plus, the bitterness is getting worse all the time.  Where's the charity?  "The Church has lost the Faith."  So we have the term Newchurch [sic].  "The Society has lost the Faith," so we have the Newsociety.  Yes, the Faith is of the utmost importance.  In HE's opinion, everyone else has lost it, and he (along with a few followers) has it.  But no charity.  What was it St. Paul said about Faith without Charity?  Something about brass and cymbals (i.e. lots of noise not really worth listening to....).

But I find this part particularly troubling.
"Bishop Williamson" Wrote:Further south, in Munich, I met with an old friend and the two lawyers who will be going to bat for me at my fifth trial for denying the “Holocaust”, due to take place in Regensburg in September. They are well aware that national politics make a just verdict at the regional level virtually impossible, but they will do their best. Precisely because the Six Million serve as a substitute Redeemer in millions of minds, I had no scruple in remunerating the lawyers from the St Marcel Initiative, but its funds are being depleted. Thank you for all and any help.

If I recall, the SSPX was heavily criticized by some for funding HE's first trial defense (or several).  At the time, I was supportive of their decision because he was one of their members.  Yes, he has a tendency to speak before thinking on certain topics, but a member he was nonetheless.

Now, good people are supplying him with funds to do his independent work in good faith.  I realize he can't do this work if he's in prison, but it hardly seems a good use of these funds (donated for the spreading of the Faith) to keep himself out of prison for something he should have known better than to say in the first place.  It was only after the fact that he made his followers aware of this (while asking for more donations), although I do give him credit for mentioning it at all.  The "Six Million....substitute Redeemer" comment is a poor excuse, and he would have been better off just leaving it out.

Overall, this gives the impression that the the funds of the St. Marcel Initiative are solely for his discretion, as a personal piggy-bank (allowance).  In fairness, though, perhaps that's exactly what it is.
(05-13-2013, 03:52 PM)IrishCowboy Wrote: Now, good people are supplying him with funds to do his independent work in good faith.  I realize he can't do this work if he's in prison, but it hardly seems a good use of these funds (donated for the spreading of the Faith) to keep himself out of prison for something he should have known better than to say in the first place.  It was only after the fact that he made his followers aware of this (while asking for more donations), although I do give him credit for mentioning it at all.  The "Six Million....substitute Redeemer" comment is a poor excuse, and he would have been better off just leaving it out.
He was not sentenced to prison, he was given a fine of 1600 €. A priest of the society wanted to pay the entire fine from his own pocket. Bishop Williamson refused and appealed the sentence.

Here is what Bishop Williamson wrote about the appeal, it speaks for itself:

Bishop Williamson Wrote:A noble colleague in the SSPX begged for the privilege to pay it all by himself. But much more than just money is at stake. A great nation, the true religion and God’s World Order are all involved.

“Truth is mighty and will prevail”, said the Latins. So any nation, religion or World Order resting on untruths is fragile and will crumble in the end. Now truth lies in the matching of my mind to reality, and not to cravings for national self-respect, nor to felt needs of religion, nor to the demands of any godless World Order. And historical truth goes by evidence, the most reliable kind of which is the material relics of the past, because these are in principle quite independent of human emotions. “For this was I born, and for this I came into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth,” says Our Lord (Jn. XVIII, 37). What tranquillity in the divine words!

I kindly refused my colleague’s offer. I have appealed again.
So this group of nuns has had no final vows professed for 20 years. I believe that's called not bearing fruit. And he's encouraging young women to join themselves to a dead tree? Why?
Pray for him.

tim
[Image: SOM1_L.jpg]
(05-13-2013, 05:28 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: He was not sentenced to prison, he was given a fine of 1600 €. A priest of the society wanted to pay the entire fine from his own pocket. Bishop Williamson refused and appealed the sentence.

I realize he wasn't sentenced to prison.  I thought I'd heard somewhere that it was a possibility this time around, though.  It's just another appeal of the conviction and fine, then?  In some ways, that might be worse.

He talks a lot about the truth and how it must be defended, which is why he won't pay the fine and be done with it.  But is it the truth?  He's done lots of research (or studied others' research), far more than I.  I know the current numbers are likely inflated, and seem to grow larger all the time.  But on the other end of the spectrum, he can't be certain of his numbers either.  It's so important in life to choose your battles, to choose the time and place to make your stands.  It just seems to me the stand he's chosen seems a little unnecessary and a waste of energy and resources.

I'm curious about what he hopes the verdict will be.  He talks about being unable to obtain a fair verdict because of national politics.  What would a fair verdict be?  Does he hope the court will find that he did not say what he said, thereby breaking German law?  He broke the law.  He knew it then and he knows it now.  It's a stupid law, probably an unjust law, but he broke it in a very public forum (to a TV crew during an interview).  They baited him, and he took the bait.  He should have known better, and now it just seems to have become a matter of principle.  I'm not here to judge his heart or his intentions.  He confirmed me over 20 years ago, and I still respect him a lot.  But to me there are certainly truths more worthy of our effort and resources than how many people of what ethnicity were killed by whom.
"Fewer people all the time are being fooled by what is happening within the Newsociety of St Pius X."

Does this mean the Society has been regularized?

Slogans and catchphrases are not helpful.
I just don't get Bishop Williamson's and these nuns' reaction?
Nothing has happened and nothing has changed. There isn't any reconciliation and there isn't any agreement.
So what is all the fuss about?
It just seems like an over-reaction to a strategy.
I think everyone in the SSPX wants the SSPX to play a part in the restoration of the Church. The problem is that not everyone in the SSPX has the same ideas on strategy and how this should come about.
I can understand disobedience if the matter is faith or morals, but obedience cannot be abandoned on a matter of strategy.
Can you imagine a priest leaving his order because he disagrees with the superior's decision to open a new monastery in a foreign land? We would all agree that this is an over-reaction and unjustified, even if the practical evidence indicates that the venture will fail.
The priest can use other ways of getting his point across but if directly ordered he must keep his promise of obedience.
Likewise I think that priests in the SSPX must obey Bishop Fellay when it is a matter of practical strategy. Even if down the road something bad happens, the time for disobedience is when it affects faith and morals, not when it is merely about practical strategy.