Orthodoxy, TLM, NO
Thank you for clearing this up, sir.

So the Orthodox are now Catholic, and we are obliged to believe that?

Did not know that, thank you

I will say a thanksgiving prayer for you when my wife and I fulfill our Holy Day obligations at the local Orthodox Church.

Thank you.
You're such a stickler for jurisdiction, and yet you refuse to accept what those with jurisdiction teach, bucko.
(05-14-2013, 11:42 AM)Old Salt Wrote: Thank you for clearing this up, sir.

I will say a thanksgiving prayer for you when my wife and I fulfill our Holy Day obligations at the local Orthodox Church.

Thank you.

Is this a reply to me or Impy?  Sorry- it just wasn't clear. :blush:
(05-14-2013, 11:36 AM)Warrenton Wrote: Since Vatican 2

Pope Clement VI granted permission to Catholic priests to minister to Orthodox Christians in Armenia...
(05-14-2013, 08:45 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:
(05-14-2013, 08:43 AM)Old Salt Wrote: And the Orthodox are most certainly outside the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church to which you claim to belong does not teach that, bucko.

it doesn't change the reality, though
(05-14-2013, 09:56 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:
(05-14-2013, 09:36 AM)Old Salt Wrote: The Orthodox are not Catholic, Bucko.

Then why are they permitted to receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church, bucko?

See, e.g., http://old.usccb.org/liturgy/q&a/mass/communion.shtml

they are not.Catholics are permitted to give ethem communion, but they are not permitted from their side to receive it
(05-14-2013, 11:36 AM)Warrenton Wrote: Salt, I think you're trying to square a circle.  The new approach to Orthodoxy is not the same as the old one.  Since Vatican 2, Rome has adopted a kind of middle ground, in which the Orthodox occupy a position that is neither fully Catholic nor schismatic.  On the one hand, you provide a definition of what separate means.  But on the other hand, the text you quote talks about being joined.  That which is joined, is by definition not separated.  The CCC and the other documents however, do in fact set up the paradox (I won;t say contradiction) of a Church joined and also separate. 

I think  the key for Latins is that we are obligated to believe in the supremacy of the pope over our spiritual lives.  If the pope wants to give the Greeks and the Russians a dispensation to believe this, that's up to him, arguably.  He has given no such dispensation to us, and we cannot agree with the east that the pope is simply another patriarch subject to the normal rules of the patriarchies.  In other words, there is no reciprocity in this.  That's troubling to Latins, because we like to think about things clearly, and clarity is best served by equality of the application of laws.   In a nutshell:  Greeks and Russians can come to us.  We cannot go to them, unless certain emergency or other critical conditions are met. 

Isn't that ironic, though, that you are providing as an argument that Orthodox Church is not that much schismatic by VII - the very reason, the OP is contemplating the idea to defect the Catholic Church?  :LOL:
It is pure hypocrisy to claim that the reason to leave the Catholic Church is the inability to belong to the Church as it was before Vatican II and as a justification for that treason as not a schism anymore - to  provide the change by the very same Vatican II.

nothing new under the sun, though  :grin:
(05-14-2013, 11:53 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: You're such a stickler for jurisdiction, and yet you refuse to accept what those with jurisdiction teach, bucko.
You are swandangler little wimpy.

I just said I have learned the truth and I will abide by that jurisdiction .I didn't know about .and will fulfill my obligations at an Orthodox Church.

I just said that.

And do not call me bucko again.
(05-14-2013, 12:02 PM)Warrenton Wrote:
(05-14-2013, 11:42 AM)Old Salt Wrote: Thank you for clearing this up, sir.

Thank you.

Is this a reply to me or Impy?  Sorry- it just wasn't clear. :blush:
T o you.

The Orthodox parish is a lot closer to me than the Latin Catholic one.

If the Church know acknowledges the Orthodox as Catholic I will assist there.