Apostles Creed
Not only here here in the Philippines but I have heard that also in the States, the Nicene Creed has been dropped and the Apostles' Creed is recited in the N.O. Mass.  Has there been an indult permitting this?  I have not read through the 3rd Edition of the N.O. Missale Romanum to verify this though.

Anybody know?
I've seen in the Missal at the NO Mass that the Apostles Creed can be a substitute at the "Children's Mass".
(05-30-2013, 09:44 AM)GGG Wrote: I've seen in the Missal at the NO Mass that the Apostles Creed can be a substitute at the "Children's Mass".

True, so did I.  However, this is recited at all Masses, and there hasn't been a childrens' Mass here at all.
The Nicene Creed has been used at every NO Mass I've ever been to, all throughout the USA.  I believe I've seen the Apostle's Creed used a few times, but it was always a one-off, not used every Sunday.
Apparently the missal specifies this.  http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=8598649&postcount=5

"Loco symboli nicaeno-constantinopolitani, praesertim tempore Quadragesimae et tempore paschali, adhiberi potest symbolum baptismale Ecclesiae Romanae sic dictum Apostolorum."
"Instead of the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed, especially during Lent and Easter Time, the baptismal Symbol of the Roman Church, known as the Apostles’ Creed, may be used."
(05-30-2013, 10:17 AM)cgraye Wrote: The Nicene Creed has been used at every NO Mass I've ever been to, all throughout the USA.  I believe I've seen the Apostle's Creed used a few times, but it was always a one-off, not used every Sunday.

This has been my experience as well. Interestingly, though, the new catechism is based on the Apostles Creed.
(05-30-2013, 01:20 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: the new catechism is based on the Apostles Creed.

That has long been a part of the Roman catechetical tradition; the Roman Catechism (Catechism of the Council of Trent) follows this format as well.
(05-30-2013, 12:53 PM)Steven Wrote: Apparently the missal specifies this.   http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=8598649&postcount=5

"Loco symboli nicaeno-constantinopolitani, praesertim tempore Quadragesimae et tempore paschali, adhiberi potest symbolum baptismale Ecclesiae Romanae sic dictum Apostolorum."
"Instead of the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed, especially during Lent and Easter Time, the baptismal Symbol of the Roman Church, known as the Apostles’ Creed, may be used."

Good to know. The last two NO Masses I attended (Sunday Masses) used the Apostles Creed and I was wondering what that was about!
If I'm not mistaken in the Novus Ordo the Apostles Creed is a re-affirmation of your baptismal vows.

tim
(05-30-2013, 04:34 PM)Tim Wrote: If I'm not mistaken in the Novus Ordo the Apostles Creed is a re-affirmation of your baptismal vows.

tim

I think you're right. The few times I've heard it used were at Easter Vigil Masses (where catechumens are baptized and everyone else renews their vows), and at Masses where infants were baptized.