For a safe journey and a successful project
This morning (and if I don't get myself going it will soon be afternoon) I'm pulling a 16 foot trailer of donated bicycles, parts, wheels, and tires from Pullman, WA to Seattle for a Village Bicycle Project container loading tomorrow morning, Saturday June 1, a trip of close to 300 miles.  Another trailer is is going over also, with a total of about 200 bikes and accessories from the Pullman, WA / Moscow, ID area.  Around 500 bikes will fit into the container, this one is destined for Sierra Leone.  This is the second shipment of the year, the previous one went to Ghana.

I ask your prayers for safe travel, a good load out, and the successful arrival of the cargo in Africa.

I'm never particularly well organized for a trip but I am packing a suit and hope to perhaps attend the High Mass at the FSSP parish in Seattle Sunday morning.  I'm also packing my sleeping bag and tent as I've not organized where I will stay the next two nights, due to my general dereliction  :grin: .

www.villagebicycleproject.org
:pray:
:pray2:
:pray2:

I hope you do make it to our parish tomorrow! You'll be in for a treat; we're having First Holy Communions, a Corpus Christi Procession, and a potluck lunch afterwards. Have a safe trip.

Also, we have a newly formed Knight of Columbus council, so if you find yourself in need of a bunch of guys to help fill a shipping container for a future project, that sounds like it would be right up their alley.  Just pm me if you need contact information.
(06-01-2013, 01:43 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: :pray2:

I hope you do make it to our parish tomorrow! You'll be in for a treat; we're having First Holy Communions, a Corpus Christi Procession, and a potluck lunch afterwards. Have a safe trip.

Also, we have a newly formed Knight of Columbus council, so if you find yourself in need of a bunch of guys to help fill a shipping container for a future project, that sounds like it would be right up their alley.  Just pm me if you need contact information.

I did make it to Mass at North American Martyrs!  The High Mass was beautiful, the choir was magnificant, and the organ ... wow.  I have a vague recollection from the middle 80's or early 90's of reading an article in the Catholic Nortwest Progress (paper of the Seattle Archdiocese) that while most parishes were focusing on their "hootenanny guitar ensembles" St. Alphonsus in Ballard, which hosts the FSSP parish, raised money for a major restoration of their organ or perhaps replacing an electric on with a pipe organ, I don't remember.  I do not have a critical ear for this sort of thing but the instrument sounded magnificant.  I've been wanting to go on one of my Seattle trips for the past few years, but then I get anxious over the 290 mile drive and end up going to an early Mass at St. Joe's (beautiful church, where I was baptized in 1951, but the Mass is painful to attend).

When I discovered the extra events due to Corpus Christi, and thought of the long trip ahead, I left at the end of Communion (feeling a bit guilty I confess after Father Saguto's sermon on "making excuses for not doing what we should do").  Pleanty of food for thought on the trip home.  There were a lot of people there, and many young families.  I look forward to visiting again, and staying to visit.  I think the next bike shipment will be in September.

The trip was safe and the container loading went well.  Over 400 bikes, plus parts and tools, will start making their way to Sierra Leone, West Africa on Monday.  The container will trael by rail to the east coast and be loaded on a ship there.

Thank you for your prayers.
Praying!!