Just Found a Local Church Left Intact
Altar rails?

Otherwise, very beautiful! 15 minutes, more beautiful yet. :thumb:
If you pull the screen up close to your nose like I do, I see those altar rails.

tim
I second the next-to-face squinting motions. I think it's time for new bifocals for me. Jayne, that is beautiful, looks familiar, but I cannot place this church. Any chance you would reveal the name?
It's looks a little bit like St. Andrew in Chicago but smaller. The side altars there were about the size of the main altar. St. Andrew was built in the Northern Italian Renaissance style marble from Carrera Italy.It's been fixed so, not no more. What's the name ?

tim
This is St. Clement parish from the eponymous town in Ontario. http://www.faithandanchor.org/
(06-03-2013, 03:51 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: What parish is this? Is there a website? I'd love to see a more detailed picture of the altars, etc.

Very beautiful.

There is a website (posted above) but I think this is the only picture on it.  Some of the links in the site don't work, but the one on the history of the parish does and it is really interesting.  I especially liked this bit:
Quote:The early Catholic settlers who came to St. Clements, Ontario in the early 1830’s were from Alsace-Lorraine and Bavaria. They met in homes for religious liturgies and were served by missionary priests. In time, the community sent their most fluent English-speaker, Adam Koebel, to the bishop of Toronto – a two-week’s walk away – for permission to secure land and build a church. A log church was built in 1840, then replaced by a larger, brick edifice. The new church opened in 1858. It was such a special and joyous occasion that a large brass band from Buffalo performed before Mass. St. Clement’s Church was considered at that time, to be the largest Church west of Toronto.

I find it fascinating that this parish was mercifully spared the wreckovation, considering it's named after a Saint whose name means mercy...

As the wreckovation was for love of the world, especially the modern, I find this portion of his Epistle to the Corinthians is most apropos:
Quote:"We must," says he, "look upon all the things of this world, as none of ours, and not desire them. This world and that to come are two enemies. We cannot, therefore, be friends to both; but we must resolve which we would forsake, and which we would enjoy. And we think, that it is better to hate the present things, as little, short-lived, and corruptible; and to love those which are to come, which are truly good and incorruptible. Let us contend with all earnestness, knowing that we are now called to the combat. Let us run in the straight road, the race that is incorruptible. This is what Christ saith: keep your bodies pure and your souls without spot, that ye may receive eternal life."
I was talking to the current pastor who was comparing the post-V2 destruction to the Taliban's attacks on cultural items and to the destruction of Catholic churches in the Reformation.  How could Catholics have thought it was right to do what had always been done in the past by our enemies? 

I am so encouraged to have found a survivor.  For me it symbolizes my hope that the Church can be restored.
(06-03-2013, 02:07 PM)JayneK Wrote: On the weekend I discovered this church about a 15 minute drive from me. 
[Image: i60529669._szw565h2600_.jpg]

It has survived the post-V2 destruction of the churches almost completely unscathed.  Best of all, a diocesan priest who says the TLM is about to be transferred there next month.  I am very hopeful about this.
It's beautiful :love:
Wonderful! Now that is a church!